Sidechain Compression - Done!

Almost; it’s an LFO, linked to a Gainer. So instead of ducking, you simply alter the volume of whatever you want to be sounding ‘ducked’. It will make it sound, if you make this happen on the kick, as if it was sidechained. You need to watch the curve of your LFO, though… But it’s true, it allows more freedom over the ducking-process, but it’s just that… fake, not the real deal.

so you can use this LFO to control parameters other than the gain, such as a HP filter cutoff, or an eq band, right ? and with the hydra, you can control many things at the same time …

Yes, ofcourse! :)

Except, you know, wtf is the “real deal”, and what is it actually worth? Sidechain compression, when used for ducking a bass under a kick or whatever, is a question of tweaking threshold, ratio and decay. What exactly is the difference between this and using a triggered LFO cycle.

I think this whole sidechain debate is out of control. There’s this idea of real sidechaining as a kind of holy grail, when the effect it produces is, at this point, easily recreated in other ways. I’ll go as far as to say real sidechaining is inferior to manual ducking.

It’s just a matter of wanting to experiment with sidechaining. Not with setting up LFO-devices. For what other reason would I set up a track with the technique? If you think that using an LFO to controll a gain parameter to simulate ducking hadn’t crossed my mind, you’re insulting my intelligence.

I dunno at which point this became about you. Sidechain posts like this one are a dime a dozen, and all i’m saying is a lot of people apparently want sidechain compression for some mythical magical thing it does that they heard of, and not what it actually is and does.

Making electronic music shares many elements with programming, and in this case, like developers with a preoccupation for OOP design patterns, people are losing sight of what they are trying to achieve and have become hung up on the technicalities of it.

Well, you can’t expect ‘a lot of people’, which you are talking about, to respond, can you? :huh: Why get so personal anyway?

So how do I open this… I just get a loooot of weird figures.

Hehe, wut.
Nevermind then ^^

Okay, I have to agree now. After putting it to the test, you’re better off using an automated/lfo’ed gain to simulate the ducking-sound. It will save you time, dynamics, confusion and gives you lots more control over the volume envelope.

Yeah. that’s actually true ;)
I still use my method on some hip-hop stuff to create room for kicks (stuff where I don’t want the ducking to be so noticeable and stuff with more varying kick-drum rythms), but for four-to-the-floor-beats I definitely go for the LFO.