Sidekickv3 By Twisted Lemon

phew! for a moment I thought my brand new system was going unstable on me somehow… Thanks for the confirmation, I’ll report this to the developer!

Thanks for replying here Jorn!

I’m not sure if it has to do with the new VST 2.4 standard. Is your vst using some protocols that are not backwards compliant (don’t know what the hell I’m talking about but still). If so, this will be supported with the next release of Renoise then. Anyway good luck with getting your master degree! If some of the developers like to shed some light on what it could be that would be great…

Rick

Yes, you can save the song and then select (next to the render button) ‘Start new song’. It will clear all settings.

Somehow the bug is not always reproducible. Like today, it is not giving me any problems and it remembers the settings. :huh:

really inteligent vst. almost “Ai” :P

anyway, was just posting here to show my support for this plugin.
there isn’t mutch out there that can come up against it, and it’s like
a small praise come true when it comes to technical gating in programs
that don’t support sidechain in itself.

thank you twistedlemon

It seems to work fine for me. Not one problem so far. Even with saving and rendering.

Unfortunately, I’ve run into a problem where the data doesn’t seem to be sending from one instance of the plugin to the other properly… it worked properly in the first song I tried it in, but with the second song I loaded, it didn’t want to duck with the kick… which sucks because I was looking forward to using this in my tracks :(

Couldn’t you just have the kicks stupidly loud on the same channel as the bass and use a normal compressor to achieve the same effect? :blink:

You wouldn’t have as much control that way. I personally like having a bit of a gap between when the kick hits, and when the bass/synth fades back in, and I also don’t like compressing the kick as much as I would need to to acheive this effect with regular compression.

Sidekick seems rather handy, thanks to the dev indeed! Unfortunately for me, though, I’m one of those suffering from the bug involving the plugin sometimes not working when opening up a project. Hopefully the bug will be ironed out soon. :slight_smile:

everybody has this bug.
if somebody has not, he is not using renoise.
you can however work it around by easily switching through the four available channels (alpha, omega, etc) in both instances until you hear something again.
the other parameters are recovered correctly.
so having that workaround in mind, it’s not really something which i’d call to be unusable.
sidekick rocks!

im getting some alright results from the TC Native Bundle 3.1 with sidechaining. You have to reselect the key input every time you load a project, but the settings seem to hold

That really depends on how many instances of it you’re using… if you’re using more than 2 instances of it, it starts to get really monotonous changing the settings every time :(

the bug i was talking about in my previous post does not seem to apply for renoise 1.8b5.
sidekick seems to work absolutely correct here with the latest renoise version and does not require to be re-configured after loading a saved xrns.

I already noticed (and advised) this a few betas ago.
But i only tested it with two instances, not more.

nice vvoois, i was wondering about this.
And when you wrote it i reinstalled and
checked it on 1.80b2

-> w o r k s g o o d !

This is working now???

Anyone had any issues with 1.8b5? If not I am all over that shit

Working great here in B6. Remembered the settings perfectly.

same here since 1.8bx

Could someone please post the exact settings for, lets say a bass and a kick track, so that the bass ducks a bit when the kick hits?

I think I’m doing it right and the plug is acting strange, but I’m not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Foo?'s fast steps for sidekick bliss:

1. Have the kick channel before your bass channel - the parse order is important.
  2. Put a copy of the plug on each chain.
  3. Click-off ‘Bypass’ for each effect.
  4. For the kick-plug make sure no greek-letter is selected.
  5. For the bass-plug make sure the “alpha” greek letter is selected.
  6. On the bass-plug selected ‘ducking’.
  7. Then adjust the threshold to how deep you want it to duck.
  8. Adjust attack and release to make it tight or flabby.

Let us know how you go.