Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll V3.7 (for Renoise 3.3 / 3.4)

New update, some smaller changes:

Full changelog:

• new: vertical grid line setting (none, per octave, per root note)
  • new: horizontal grid line setting (none, per bar, per beat)
  • new: shading amount option per beat
  • new: keyboard shortcut to change note length via micro steps
  • new: keyboard shortcut to open preferences
  • changed: setting for use track color for note color or note highlighting
  • changed: headline draw style in preferences to be similar like the Renoise onceā€™s
  • fix: note width display, when cut fx is used on pan value

Download: Simple Pianoroll | Renoise

11 Likes

Slick

thx many times for the grid lines <3
I am perfectly happy :upside_down_face:

1 Like

No problem. By the way, I just noticed that I have confused horizontal and vertical. :smiley: I will correct this in the next version. Also, the horizontal scrolling is a bit slower because of the vertical grid lines, but it doesnā€™t bother too much.

1 Like

I dort realized that, because i have activated both at the same timešŸ™‚

Hey :-). Thank you for all the improvements! Really is an awesome tool! A couple of requests from me:

1. Is it possible to make it scroll the grid horizontally with two fingers on trackpad? Currently, it works fine vertically but not horizontally. To scroll horizontally I can hold Shift, Ctrl or Option (mac) and swipe with two fingers up and down. Of course, it would be nicer to swipe left & right without having to hold a key.

2. I am not sure whether or not it is intentional, or a bug (or maybe just how FL studio works), but the scroll bars on the piano-roll look a bit weird. They kind of ā€œgrowā€ from one edge, when scrolling. Not how normal scroll bars look/behave. Is there any way the scroll bars could be improved somehow?

3. I use the ā€œColorful (NPC1)ā€ theme, and the edge of piano roll is easily lost against the background. Would be awesome to have the option to put a border of some kind around the whole tool.

Many thanks

The Border Problem has nothing to do with this tool. Its a generally disadvantage of the limited renoise theming system. I gave taktik some suggestions for better theming support for instance

1. Dont link color values of different controls or control parts
  2. No using of autocontrast in Renoise. For example this function gives white as contrast color for white.
  3. No using of linked foreground colorvalues as backgorund colorvalues in another controltype.
  4. Every Controltype should have his own color value set
  5. if 4. not wanted/can be, the ability to create own colorset values and the ability to assign it dynamically to a control (maybe over Lua script)

So plz do not asking for such features that are out of control of the toolcreator and adress this to the Renoise developers. In other way we would get a upblown Tool with hundrets of options. Hope you understand me.

2 Likes
  1. The API doesnā€™t allow me to detect how many fingers are used. I currently use hidden valueboxā€™s behind the grid to detect the scrolling as workaround and its pretty limited.

2. Renoise Viewbuilder API doesnā€™t have a scrollbar. When this will be added in future version, then iā€™ll change this. The slider controlā€™s are currently my workaround for this. I could reimplement a scrollbar, but i think a ā€œnativeā€ one would better / faster.

3. I cant change the border of a window, also a limit of the API.

4 Likes

Iā€™m having trouble previewing notes. Using v3.7, Renoise arm64 v3.4.2 on an M1 Mac.

The preview tool does nothing, neither does clicking on notes with the other two tools nor the keyboard along the left .

But the track plays fine after I draw notes and hit space.

Is there anything obvious I might be doing wrong?

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 10.33.09 pm

Hi, did you check the OSC settings of Renoise?

Thank you! Works perfectly with that enabled. Did I miss that somewhere in the documentation? I thought Iā€™d read every word of the plugin page and the readme on GitHub.

1 Like

Nope youā€™re right, its missing. I need to add this.

Edit: Iā€™ve updated the readme on Github.

Thanks so much. Iā€™ve been a member of this forum for 8 years, a Renoise user for even longer. That was my first post. I love this forum haha.

2 Likes

Is it possible to have ctrl switched for cmd for mac users? I keep :exploding_head: every time I reach for a shortcut.

Good point. Does the toolbar show the keyname, when you press CMD-key?
Iā€™m not sure what the modifier name is in the API, maybe its ALT?

What does Renoise show, when you press a shortcut here?

Could you also post some common shortcuts, which confuse you currently.

Edit: @absent A ā€œglobalā€ swap of ctrl + alt could still be confused for other shortcuts and mouse actions. As i mentioned, adding mac related shortcuts for mac typical shortcuts wouldnā€™t be a problem. What do you think?

Great work with this piano roll. It rocks !!.

However I have a strange behaviour with this tool and I want to know if itā€™s known or itā€™s happening only to me.

Whenever I insert a note in the grid, the cursor always goes to the bottom left of the piano roll window. The note is inserted succesfully but I need to relocate the mouse up again.

Iā€™ve tried to uninstall/install again, and there is no change.

Iā€™m on Mac 12.4.

1 Like

Itā€™s the mouse warping of Renoise. You need to disable this in the Renoise preferences or enable mouse warping compatibility in Piano roll settings.

I would suggest turning off mouse warping.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :ok_hand:. It wasnā€™t a obvious issue, I thought it was something related to the piano roll tool and I ran off of settings tweaksā€¦ :no_mouth:. Using this tool with this behavior has been maddening :sweat_smile:

Its the hacky way to get mouse actions in tools. A hidden XYpad under the piano roll grid. :slight_smile: And this control has this mouse warping feature. When snap is used, the mouse jumps to a specific position. I use this to detect a mouse button release. Maybe the Renoise tools api getā€™s improved in future updates, so we can do it in the right way :smiley:

1 Like

Will be coming with the next update. I currently testing it, works good so far:

7 Likes