Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll V3.8 (for Renoise 3.3 / 3.4)

New update, new features.

Set loop range via timeline bar

Use ctrl key to set a loop range. Use shift key to move it. Double click to remove it. Renoise have several internal loop functions. Sequencer loop, Pattern Loop, Block loop and custom loop (inside a pattern from line x to line y). The custom loop function is used, but sometimes Renoise interpret it as block loop. Can be sometimes confusing, when you switch to a different pattern. Be ware of this.

timelineloop

Made a youtube short about it:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ay_wcQsvPrE

Open the plugin editor of the current instrument or midi out target

There is a new button, where you can open the editor of plugin directly inside the piano roll. When the ctrl key is holded and your current instrument is a midi plugin, it will open the midi out target.

Full changelog:

• new: add possibility to set loop range via mouse on timeline bar
  • new: set editor cursor pos via timeline with mouse
  • new: add edit instrument settings button
  • new: workaround for stuck notes in note preview
  • changed: ctrl+space will now disable follow player
  • changed: allow note labels without octave
  • changed: add panic to stop button, when song is not playing
  • fix: losing Q effect, when change note size
  • fix: swapped horizontal and vertical grid lines settings (you need to change the settings for your taste again)
  • fix: code cleanup, change note drawing code
  • fix: polyphony preview

Download: Simple Pianoroll | Renoise

12 Likes

Iā€™m sorry for taking so long to reply to this, I moved house.

I would imagine the best route to follow would be to follow what Renoise does on a Mac, i.e. if there is an equivalent shortcut in Renoise itself which switches Ctrl for Cmd, also switch that in the piano roll.

So an option where alt and ctrl is swapped, right? Iā€™ll check this.

Usually for other software, shortcuts which are Ctrl on Windows are Cmd on Mac.

Option and Alt are essentially the same key.

Iā€™m not sure of the extent Renoise switches shortcuts to be more ā€œMac-likeā€ as I havenā€™t used Windows in so long!

In the Renoise manual, they simply say ā€œMac users: Replace ā€œControlā€ with ā€œCommandā€ and ā€œAltā€ with ā€œOptionā€ belowā€ so Iā€™m guessing they donā€™t go to any great length to follow Mac conventions. This alone would stop my fingers tripping over themselves though :sweat_smile:

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Keyboard_Shortcuts

I made a test build:
https://github.com/ryrun/com.dufte.SimplePianoroll.xrnx/raw/master/out/com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

Just download it and drop onto Renoise.

There is a new option, can you test this?

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this!

For me without that checked, ctrl + c is copy and ctrl + v is paste.

Usually on a mac, cmd + c is copy and cmd + v is paste.

There isnā€™t normally much of a difference on a Mac about what Alt/Option does, but one of the common Mac shortcuts is alt+drag = drag a copy, which you have nailed!

However with your setting checked, ctrl is still used for most shortcuts instead of CMD.

Does that make sense? Itā€™s so weird thinking about what these keys do, I usually use them automatically!

Thanks again just even for listening and caring :grinning: your plugin is so cool and is luring me away from Ableton back to the tracker world.

1 Like

Oh, i see, i made a mistake. Misspelled ā€œmodiersā€ in the code. I made a new test build. Download link is the same. Please test again. Thank you.

Edit: I saw that i forget to commit an push it to github. The current test build should work now.

Hello Mate! :slight_smile:

Is there the ability to highlight playing notes when i play single notes with Enter key? I try this now and i see no highlighting? Maybe that i miss some configuration step too.

i use Version 3.8

Over play button Notes are highlighted correct. But not over editplay with Enter Key nor over the new Cursor shifting playmode (By the way i fucking fucking love this function :slight_smile: )

for your help, the option ā€œuse track Color forā€ is set to ā€œnothingā€ in my setup.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should be possible, i need to reimplement single step play for this. It currently highlight notes just in ā€œplaying modeā€.

1 Like

Yesterday i get aware of an intermitting bug while i delete notes during playback.in editmode. (this one where you set/delete notes by a signleclick)

if i had clicked on a Note to delete, it deletes the note right, but additionally it deletes an other note that was at same time and note lenght only on another pitch. Hope you understand what i mean.

happy tracking.:slight_smile:

Is it reproducible for you? Or is it random?

I had it a few times over my yesterday working session. The Bug was not standing but i had have it 3 or 4 Times over the yesterday session. For me it looks like a sideeffect when you often switch editmodus and add/delete notes while playback. I will keep on watching this and will try to reproduce this over next weeks to give you help information for error fixing. (I do music only on weekend).

i would recommended using ā€œstate maschineā€ pattern for handling such mode switchings in generally to minimized side effects in code.

An other important thing may be to clear the fireed Events and/or variables on EditMode switching.
For instance wenn the mode is switched between a double click on a note. (from noteselection mode to noteset mode for instance) and prevent modeswitching as long the code is in a running eventcycle to add/delete note. this can be easely do with a variable or look flag.

keep on mate, your Renoise extension is great.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

I think your edit mode is pen mode, right? Because ā€œedit modeā€ of Renoise is not supported. Thatā€™s the reason why the piano roll always switch the edit mode off. If you found a way to easily replicate it, it would be nice.

yes right i meaned the pen mode, but i have used selection mode too. i use mostly selection mode with shiftcopy then starting Renoise playback and then i switched to penmode and set notes/delete notes. That was my workflow. I reopened the pianoroll a few times too.

Its sometimes my workflow, too. Works fine for me. As i said, if youā€™re able to reproduce the issue, it would be really nice.

notekill

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve nailed it yet. Maybe this will help:

Win ā†’ Mac

Ctrl + C ā†’ Cmd + C
Ctrl + V ā†’ Cmd + V
Ctrl + Z ā†’ Cmd + Z

And so on.

Alt on windows is Option on a Mac. They are basically the same key so I donā€™t think you need to change anything at all with Alt or Option.

Ctrl on Windows is the same as Ctrl on a Mac. This is exactly the same key, but Mac does not use it for the common editing shortcuts, instead Mac uses Cmd for those.

To confuse things, if you plug a Mac keyboard into a PC, when you press Cmd, Windows sees it as the Windows key. This is because both platforms essentially already have Ctrl and Alt/Option. On Linux this third key (Cmd or Win) is sometimes referred to as ā€œSuperā€.

I would highly recommend seeing if you could install Renoise on a friendā€™s Mac to try out your plugin, or maybe the Renoise team could donate some old hardware. I personally think you are well on your way to making this plugin an essential part of Renoise.

I can only do swap ctrl / alt key or do completly different shortcuts for mac. Did you reload the last version from github? I made a change, because there was something missing. It should work now, at least the swap.

Yes I have tried it, but it doesnā€™t swap ctrl for cmd which I think is what Mac users would want.

Hey mate!

i try to reproduce this bespoken behaviour. It seems to be more a Sideeffect. I was able to reproduce it a few times in different sessions, but only when i have Pionoroll open and same time switching to the trackerchannel and use the ā€œEnterā€ key for Step mode in it. After this i get the described double Note delete effect on some Notepairs. But not on all Notepairs. Can you recommend simple liteweight Videocapture Programm to screenrecording Renoise Application Window? At best some portable Version.

You can use OBS its free:

A video would be awesome, thank you.

@absent Are you on discord? Iā€™ve send you a pm.