Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

Returned to my project today and it seems the buttons are properly working now. Don’t know what was up with it earlier.

Have you yet considered how to deal with Phrases as well? Piano roll seems to be unavailable for them at the moment.

1 Like

Ok, good to know. About phrases, not yet i’ll add this to my todo.

4 Likes

Small update: 16.05.2021 v1.1:

• add ghost note drawing / handling
  • new shortcuts for play selection
  • some minor bugfixes
4 Likes

Another quick update 23.05.2021 v1.2:

• add preferences, so some grid and OSC settings can be changed now.
  • Vel, Pan now works with Renoise special Hex values like Z8, R4, and so on.
  • New shortcut to play from mouse cursor (CTRL+Mouse click on a free spot)
  • Some fixes

5 Likes

i get this!

only plays with Gridsize/Gridstepsize make it to max + close + recall Pianoroll

and then makke it to minimum + close + recall Pianoroll

But Anyway…very nice work Dude. Keep on. :slight_smile:

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Edit: After this Error i cant Recall Pianoroll Dialog.

Edit 2: Set Horizontal Gridstepsize to 4 result in same error

If i delete all set Notes in Pianoroll it stays an “OFF” at the Pattern. I think this should not be.

happy tracking

Gridsize vertical < 18 ( i have set to 15) Resulted in this…

Horizontal Stepsize to 10 result in this…

I think you should release the drawing of the key’s and the raster in some ways maybe.

selected notesize (2) is not equal to rastersize. Notesize (2) paints 4 grid raster cells

I removed the step size setting. Causing more issues. Rest should work as expected. Uploaded as v1.3

Yes, is intended, because it could be possible, that you have a pattern before the current one with notes. And when the last note of this pattern doesn’t have an OFF it will be played through the empty one. Could happen when you create pad melodies. Could add an option to disable this, when this will be controlled manually.

Thank you for making such an incredible Piano Roll tool for free, this is what I was longing for out of Renoise and its new updates with user made content! So cool :).

2 Likes

New version 1.4:

I changed the note rendering, so it can display note cut effects and delay. There is still some minor quirks, but for most cases it should work. This also solves some note overlapping issues. I also added velocity based shading of note color (can be disabled). Plus several smaller fixes.

• feature: change note button rendering (now possible to see note cut effects and delayed notes)
  • feature: add velocity shading for note colors in piano roll
  • fix: corrected random number gen for humanizing function
  • fix: corrected humanizing for delay
  • fix: allow changing ghost note state for selecting notes via ghost note button
  • fix: corrected click events for overlapped notes
  • fix: corrected max delay value for delay input field
  • fix: allow lowercased hex values on input fields
  • several minor fixes
4 Likes

Nice work and nice new Velocity-Feature. But i tested it with a Pattern with high note density (many short notes) and massive Velocityrange. This will often used in Triole, sixtole and so on. And in this Case the different Note Coloring makes it very confusing. I think maybe it would better if you not change the Notecolor, rather the Note Alphacolor. Dont know if this is able to do in Renoise LUA Script. But if, it would be worth trying out.

1 Like

I see in Sourcecode that you has method signatures with many, many Parameters. I would suggest u for better Readability and Cleaner Code that is easier to understand you use a Table to store all needed Data and only overgive this table to the function where needed that params. Maybe this means a slighty reduced performance, but the lowering of the code complexity and the better structuring and Readability wheight out this.

maybe this helps

https://intern.fh-wedel.de/~si/seminare/ws09/Ausarbeitung/09.lua/lua4.htm

hello. i have a question. is it possible to use this piano roll with samples, and not only VSTS ? :thinking:

i mean. do a previev with samples :smiley: because my violin sample aint working when i want to preview it in Piano Roll :smiley:

Yes, works also for samples. It uses Renoise OSC server for note preview. Just check the settings:

1 Like

thank you owo

1 Like

New in version 1.5:

Mainly added customizable scale highlighting and more options to change some behaviors for your own taste.

• feature: add automatically scale highlighting (currently only major scales, works also for minor scales)
  • feature: add instrument scale highlighting (currently only major / minor supported)
  • feature: add customizable scale highlighting: None, Major, Minor
  • feature: add simple note hint function to show octaves and fifths of selected notes (can be disabled)
  • feature: add follow play cursor, when pattern length is greater than grid width (can be disabled)
  • feature: add some new options to change special note column behaviors
  • feature: add a small help / feedback button to preferences
  • feature: add a different keyboard rendering style: “list”
  • change: fillPianoRoll function now process all notes in a pattern, not only the visible ones
  • change: set last selection play cursor, when play from mouse position was used
  • fix: sometimes wrong note properties, when selected
  • fix: sometimes wrong rendering of note cut effects
7 Likes

Thanks for your hard work friend.This is coming along very good

2 Likes

Great Job mate! I wished this would be integrated in natively in Mainprogramm so we can have sizeable Windows and Hardware accelerated Painting for smooth grid zooming & note Moving.
For me this is one of the best Renoisetools of the last decade. Very thank you for this!!!

1 Like

Another quick update version 1.6:

Some important fixes for pattern lengths smaller than grid and a new tool “audio preview”. Its similar like in FL Studio. Can be used to pre hear chords during editing. There is a shortcut too: ctrl+shift and click on a free spot. Also, the tool checks key modifiers even when its not in focus. This helps to fix issues, where the tool didn’t noticed, that one of the modifiers was pressed.

renoise_audiopreview

• feature: audio preview mode: play notes on step with mode or new shortcut (ctrl+shift + click on a free spot)
  • fix: hide non used piano roll grid elements for patterns shorter than grid width
  • fix: when select all notes on a specific step, even select non visible notes above and below grid
  • fix: also process notes above and below the piano visible grid
  • enhanced: add option to disable note preview during song playback for new notes or when notes get clicked or changed
  • enhanced: refresh key modifier states, even when tool window is not in focus
  • enhanced: use official Renoise icons for same functionality (vol, dly, pan column on / off)
  • add prompt for reset to default button
  • toggle piano roll visibility via keyboard shortcut
8 Likes