Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx

Ok something more serious now…

…something like in this way. Dont give what on Colors, but it should shows in any way that you are above the bound of pattern.

End of Pattern

What would a very nice option too would a selection of Patternlenght in that windows. before a few days my second monitor was killed by an overload of thunderstorm and moving window to get on original patterlenght changcontrol broke the workflow.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean a text field, where you can change the pattern length?

Yes, but i would prefer the same control as original Renoise one. That means a value counter box because of the mouse support. :slight_smile:

Hello!

Some more feature request for this great Renoise-pianoroll. :slight_smile:

It’s able to retrieve the Track Column mute status in playing visualizing? I had realised that the mute status is ignored so far. Would be nice when we can get this function in. At the Moment muted Notes will be displayed as played notes. Here a Screenshot, to explance in detail.

AND TO THE RENOISE DEVELOPERS! WE NEED A COLORATTRIBUTE ON THE NOTE-OBJECT!!! THEN WE COULD ASSIGN DIFFERENT COLORS FOR NOTEGROUPS IN THIS PIANOROLL LIKE IN OTHER DAW’S: DONT KNOW IF YOU READ WITH HERE, BUT I HOPE SO!

Muted Columns

//EDIT

I have found out that you set the Notes in the order of their creation index in the linear circeling/upswitching Track column index that is not so good choice in my opinion, then the lower c-2 and c-3 notes on every accord play could placed on different Trackcolumns. Thats not good for working. It would be better if you place it always by nearest Note on the appropriate Column. I am aware that this adding mechanism would be not easy to implementing. And i have a Solution to make this very easier. Make a Button “Notesort” in your tool that make this manual by userinteraction or when your Tooldialog window is closing. Even much easier would it be if we had a Color Attribute for instance and we could mark Column Notegroups as we want. Then you only have to check the value of the colorattribute and write all Note with same color to 1 column. Thats it! :slight_smile:

Alternative let me choose the Columnindex of note with switchable buttons at least. Workflow would be so.
i activate button 1 before i set notes with pen. Then i activate button 2 and i set my notes for second TrackColumn. On Notadding you only have to parse this index Value and you have the Trackcolumn, where to add the appropriate note. I hope you understand what great advantage these Columnassignment would had and much easier the entire Columnworkflow would be. :slight_smile:

maybe generally an adding after noteheight from down notes to high notes would be senseful do the thing. Its very late and im not more able to thinking about all cases.

BUT YES I’M SURE, Columns respectively the Column-Index of Track should build the Notegroups in Pianoroll. Then Noteediting outside Pianoroll like with the global Transposing/Note/Instrument assignment controls and so on would be much better

1 Like

This is absolutely lovely work @toimp

I really hope development see the value in this, and offer you to implement it as a view panel

Looking forward to:

• select multiple notes (RTFM :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • mouse drag
  • grid snap on/off
  • zoom function

:wink:

2 Likes

There are some possibilities:

1. Rectangle selection, click on one spot, hold shift and click another free spot.
    rectselect

2. Hold Ctrl and click notes:
    ctrlselect

3. Hold Ctrl and click on step indicator to do a “column”-selection:
    ctrlstepselect

4. Hold Ctrl and click on a note in piano keyboard to do a “row”-selection:
    ctrlnoteselect

3 Likes

Yes. I kind of replied before I read the manual. I just tried this at version 0.8 or 0.9, and was blown away how much have happened since the last time i looked at this. You are doing incredblie work with this one.

BTW. The delay function is great. But, you should also be able to edit the delay for the note-off. This is one of my main focus for not snapping to the grid.
I don’t see much value in using up estate for the note text. Maybe start and stop delay from grid could be used instead? But then again, we’re talking the possibility to drag with mouse for that to work

1 Like

Could somebody not start a petition about this? Native implementing would give much more possibilities and would be much easier and result in better quality. when i only thinking on smooth zooming and scrolling functions…or fully mouse support…

1 Like

I think the whole piano roll thing have become a political thing among the elite of Renoise. @taktik once said “until Renoise has features like a piano-roll” in a post. But that is like 5-6 years ago.

I can’t see any way that Renoise won’t benefit from adding piano roll as a view. But, it must be implemented in a familiar way. Not like a vertical thing that some people are fiddeling on about. SimplePianoroll is heading in the right direction (pun intended), thats my opinion.

As we know, for some cases Piano roll is indispensable. Even with current API limits this tool is very useful! :+1:
simplepre

2 Likes

BTW ALT hotkey that switches between Select and Pen mode is very nice function!
Support for CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y - not sure if it can be done. Can you handle these keys? They work only in main Renoise window but Piano roll reflects them!
Select, Pen, Preview modes deserve their own hotkeys.

2 Likes

It should pass non handled key strokes to Renoise, but it seems you’ve found a bug. Will fix this.

That’s the reason why i need at least a “simple” piano roll :slight_smile: It so much easier and even faster, when you use key combos like ctrl+b for duplicate and so on, compared to the raw tracker view.

1 Like

This is a very good example how and why the Pianoroll is superior to tracker noteview. If you only see the picture for a few seconds, On which you can instantly grasp

1. Which note are played
  2. How long every signle note is played
  3. How the Melody plays
  4. Better Oversight because of less needed and showed parameters (like Note off’s for instance), much better with Zooming/Scrolling functions
  5. Pianoroll can have a FX controller lane, for Renoise FX and midi Parameters too.
  6. Editing on a fully & native implemented Pianoroll is faster, more intuitiv and because of this more productive for Melody and accord building. Much faster than in Trackwindow where you have changing Notecolumns for harmonies and accords.
  7. Arpeggiators are much faster and easier to realize.

Next time on Pianoroll Discussion show this post too “Tracking only Fanboys”.

4 Likes

This xypad trick is so hacky, but it seems i got it working. There are several issues with this new feature, which i need to fix, before i can release this. But it works. Notes dragging via mouse.

Edit: I improved it abit more. With note scaling, note selection (invisible rectangle), move multiple notes.

11 Likes

Insane. Your work is much appreciated!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

New version uploaded 2.0

Better mouse support for notes moving, drawing and scaling:
noteeditpreview2

Mouse warping should be disabled in the Renoise preferences under GUI section.

Changelog:

• feature: add mouse support for note movement, scaling and drawing
  • changed: rectangle selection needs now just one click
  • changed: better visual presentation for patterns which are shorter than grid width
  • changed: shortcut for deselect notes
  • fix: redirect non handled key combos to Renoise

Edit: I reuploaded 2.0 again, because of a small note scaling issue.

11 Likes

I’m getting;

" Pagenotfound

The requested page “/sites/default/files/tools/com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx” could not be found."

?

You mean on Renoise tool page or inside Renoise? Maybe you need to restart Renoise?

tool page

Looks like a tool page cache issue. It doesn’t show the new tool page text. I’ve also pushed the xrnx to github:
Download

1 Like