Small change, big result, a list of small suggestions

Thank you guys. But I think a some of your suggestions may not be “easy” / pretty complex to program, for instance “adding a parallel container device”, “adding fx chains to vstis” is not easy. I more meant minor workflow changes, some simple algorithmic/iterative additions, some little visual improvement, without the need to change the API or the song structure. Ok it is may be pretty subjective, but I hope you get what I mean.

2 Likes

My small change for Linux (MacOSX?) users. Maybe pick up an export variable from the shell environment (like with VST_PATH) for the placement of the Renoise library directory? Saves having to have/create a symlink in the home directory:

$ export RENOISE_USER_LIBRARY=/my/renoise/library/directory/

Not much for the idea of a fixed ($HOME) path in the program.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget selection in matrix (you can select slots in the PM). But it’s already been mentioned many times, I suppose.

2 Likes

Uh yes, I actually meant that. Will corrected my post.

2 Likes

Yes, please. And if it’s a midi-automation device, hydra device or a similar device that depends on an instr. ID or track ID, a warning + option for reassigning should show

1 Like

Another small improvement that might fit?

When drag’n’dropping a DSP device from far left to far right in a track with many devices, it takes quite a long time for the GUI to scroll before you can release it at the end. Some usual accelleration routine would be nice there, making it scroll really fast when you eagerly hover the pointer as far to the right as possible.

Well… there’s always the mixer view…

2 Likes

Another one: just allow send track sending to itself.

1 Like

automated processing of samples into a renoise/redux instrument with a custom template of my choice, levels adjested samples cut, dc corrects, looping the samples accuretly into a perfectly tuned instrument, the ability to load multiple phrazes at once. the ability to fully level and dc correct all samples automatically and convert into custom templates from existing instruments

so yeah id say this is a small change with really big results

A detached Doofer Window with more than 8 knobzz maybe 16 if posible and aslo some On//of Buttons.

1 Like

I think there was a tool for that, “batch” something or so? Note that often also tools for 2.8 can work (not sample related ones though).

That is not a small change, since so many things in Renoise/Redux depend on those 8 knobs.

1 Like

Decide what to render out more specifically.
I imagine an extra option In Render Options something like this:

• Save each track into a separate file
  • Save each pattern into a separate file
  • Save each track/group marked for render into a separate file

Maybe you could get a tree view like quickly sketched below and check what you’d like to render or just have a checkbox on each track saying “Render to file [x]”.

select-tree-view

2 Likes

Here is a small tweak that would avoid some annoyance that happens to me quite regularly:

I often set a sequence loop to some chorus or sth. But after using the duplicate-pattern icon in the sequence list (on a pattern before the marked loop), the loop is getting offset, so I have to manually set it again.

It would be nice if the marked loop is shifted whenever some sequence-pattern is inserted before it.

3 Likes

Other small feature I would like to see is to remove the “double selection” systems that are very confusing to me.

Double selection system of the pattern editor:
(Am I on orange line 00 or on dark transparent orange line 04?)

Double selection system of the pattern sequence matrix:
(Am I on dotted lighter line 0 or on surrounded line 1?)

And perhaps it’s already possible, but I would like to be in record mode by default when I click in the pattern editor. I made so much mistakes because I was not where I thought and in the mode I thought…

1 Like

@sokoban. You are confusing “the position” as if it were “another selection”. But the position is not “a selection”. Therefore there is no “double selection”. Get used to understanding it like this. In the sequence “position” is always the surrounded slot that contains the sequence index and the pattern index. In the pattern editor, “the position” is the box that points to the cursor. Both cases always exist. Instead, “the selection” may appear or disappear.

A common confusion is to be inside the matrix thinking that you are within the pattern editor. A good method to make no mistake is to correctly control the [SHIFT + ESC] and [ESC] commands, visually checking the frame of each panel at all times ([ESC] inside matrix not work!). Further, some themes (skins) worsen the visual control of all these issues.

2 Likes

an update once a year.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: New, simple detune / pitchshift DSP effect

I forgot a small one that also has been mentioned sometimes before. My goto key when composing is Eb major. Renoise only treats this as D# major. A flat/sharp switch for correct notation would be nice to have, like in protracker.

(it’s global and just a visual thing)

The simple theoretical explanation:
At least with diatonic scales (the normal 7-tone ones we use most of the time), they should be notated with each pitch class being unique - e g not G and G#, but rather G and Ab. That’s why it’s Eb major and not D# major. With correct notation, D# major would have double sharps to circumvent this.

1 Like
  • None overdub record mode where the playhead deletes notes that it passes if you don’t play a new note.

• allowing multiple modulation paths for one sample

• Being able to give Patterns/Phrases a Hexadecimal number or A-Z 0-99 name would make arranging in the Pattern/Phrase Sequencer much easier. if I have 4 similar patterns that are just variations of each other, it’s hard to distinguish them when you move them around. Being able to just name them 11 12 13 14 or A1 A2 A3 A4 would be helpful.

• Being able to mute rows/sections in the sequencer. I imagine it’s probably just a break and jump to line command in the background?

3 Likes

Here some more:

• For doofers that are marked with a star, please put them into a group/dir “Doofer”, or allow to use grouping for doofers. Also currently the doofers with star seem to be saved with an absolute path? Since you can’t transfer that setting to another system, it then cannot find the doofer anymore. So remove any absolute pattern from it.