Sononym - Sample Browser

Indeed also how I’d imagined “copy path” to work with multi-selections!
The “real” ability to trash files should still be implemented, but this could be useful in other ways.

Maybe cool would be, if you could export a collection as CSV file, or delete it’s files (after 3 security warnings) directly.

Another idea: export a collection as new sample collection into a new dir, so a folder structure in some way is created and samples are copied to it. So u could extract the samples u need into a separate dir structure, or sample creators having a big time.

@kytdkut: haha, good question - there is (AFAIK) no hard standard for the octave assignments, only one for the absolute frequency a (MIDI) note number is supposed to represent.

And, I suppose (always been my assumption) that with Renoise, it’s because it’s tradition for trackers to have the octaves assigned like this.

Another idea: export a collection as new sample collection into a new dir, so a folder structure in some way is created and samples are copied to it. So u could extract the samples u need into a separate dir structure, or sample creators having a big time.

If I understood you correctly, collections are already capable of this - you can create your own folder structure, and when you add files to the collection,

they are “synchronized” to whatever location you have picked for the collection. You can even rename files, without losing the connection to the source file(s).

In addition, you can “Save copy as” from the export dialog, which will create a standalone snapshot of the collection - this is what you’re looking for, I guess?

(in fact, the automatic export is too smart for some peoples taste - it’s been suggested that the this should be something that you could disable too).

The windows version 1.0.3 of sononym is currently 1.0.3 beta2. The new update checker tells me, there is a new version online, but i only can download 1.0.3.

Edit: Nevermind, download link was fixed.

The windows version 1.0.3 of sononym is currently 1.0.3 beta2. The new update checker tells me, there is a new version online, but i only can download 1.0.3.

Edit: Nevermind, download link was fixed.

Yep. Update checker was immediately helpful :lol:

Yep. Update checker was immediately helpful :lol:

:slight_smile: I’ve tested the new version abit. It seems similarity search is not working for me, when its searching my whole sample lib. It starts searching with results, but when its finished, it shows me: “Failed to compute similarity: Source is too large - Similarity search: Error” Maybe 111.3K samples are too much? When i have a folder as additional filter, it works.

“Failed to compute similarity: Source is too large - Similarity search: Error”

Thanks for reporting this.

I couldn’t reproduce the problem - but at least, now it’s on the radar :slight_smile:

Since we don’t yet know what is causing it, I can’t really say how you can avoid it. But I regularly use a collection of 200K samples myself, so it’s definitely possible

(and the same was of course done during testing, with upwards to 500K samples … at which point I would probably filter by subfolders anyway :slight_smile:

I try to figure out if something in the log will be shown. I deleted all log files, during sononym was running, did a similar search again and sononym crash about the Log.txt.

After this, i try it again but the log doesn’t have more information:

2018-11-14T19:28:02.051Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT filename,status,category_signature_VR,class_signature_VR,spectrum_signature_VVR,spectrum_features_VR,peak_VR,tristimulus_VVR,pitch_confidence_R,pitch_VR,rms_db_R from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 109750

2018-11-14T19:28:02.592Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT filename,status,category_signature_VR,class_signature_VR,spectrum_signature_VVR,spectrum_features_VR,peak_VR,tristimulus_VVR,pitch_confidence_R,pitch_VR,rms_db_R from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110000

2018-11-14T19:28:03.037Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT filename,status,category_signature_VR,class_signature_VR,spectrum_signature_VVR,spectrum_features_VR,peak_VR,tristimulus_VVR,pitch_confidence_R,pitch_VR,rms_db_R from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110250

2018-11-14T19:28:03.600Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT filename,status,category_signature_VR,class_signature_VR,spectrum_signature_VVR,spectrum_features_VR,peak_VR,tristimulus_VVR,pitch_confidence_R,pitch_VR,rms_db_R from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110500

2018-11-14T19:28:04.175Z - info: [BACKGROUND] Database - Running assets query: SELECT filename,status,category_signature_VR,class_signature_VR,spectrum_signature_VVR,spectrum_features_VR,peak_VR,tristimulus_VVR,pitch_confidence_R,pitch_VR,rms_db_R from assets LIMIT 250 OFFSET 110750

2018-11-14T19:28:04.694Z - error: [RENDERER] Failed to compute similarity: Source is too large

Thanks a lot, this could be helpful.

Do you mind sharing the OS you’re using as well - Windows, MacOS, Linux?

I’m on windows 10.

I’ve an idea for a new feature. It would be nice, when we could select parts of the sample and search for similarity. So i can search for kicks or snares from breaks :slight_smile:

sononym-feature.png

1 Like

It would be nice, when we could select parts of the sample and search for similarity.

Totally agree, essential in fact. We have something in the works… :slight_smile:

Btw: thanks again for reporting that other bug. We’ve found the cause and will put out an update shortly.
Edit: done, release notes here

4 star review from Music Radar FYI:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/sononym-sononym

Wow, nice/fair review!

@Rex: I knew that they would cover us, but this is the first link I’ve seen. Cool!

Btw: we have a promotion running right now. Same discount as I handed out to this forum after the launch, 50% off.

Btw: thanks again for reporting that other bug. We’ve found the cause and will put out an update shortly.
Edit: done, release notes here

Works fine me now, thank you.

Does this Tool supports Renoise instruments, Kontakt libraries and fxp patches (from vsti´s)? or is it only for Samples? Otherwise its useless today.

Does this Tool supports Renoise instruments, Kontakt libraries and fxp patches (from vsti´s)? or is it only for Samples? Otherwise its useless today.

Oh, lol :blink:

I find it pretty useful. Also, how do you think it would support Kontakt libraries? You know NI develops closed source software and file formats. Also, FXP are metadata files I think, they contain no audio information.

These guys know whats up!

This guy clearly doesn’t.

XRNI should be possible, atleast the samples inside this archive :slight_smile: Something which could be pretty powerful. Indexing sound files inside Renoise songs and instruments.

It’s 2028 and people still use samples :lol:

From the Sononym FAQ:

Q: Does Sononym support REX, WavPack, [insert name of format]?
We are planning to increase the number of supported formats - especially open-source onesbut also proprietary instrument/sampler formats, when possible.

Which is a cautious way of saying: yes, based on the feedback we receive. XRNI of course belongs on that shortlist :slight_smile:

I found out that Renoise and Sononym have ogg support. But only if the file extension is *.ogg. I tried to open some FLStudio sound files in both and it doesn’t work, because the file extension is wav. When i rename them to xxx.ogg it works. Would it be possible to add support for ogg encoded wav files?