Sononym - Sample Browser

Can’t you run your interface with ASIO4ALL instead, since it supports multi client access.

Thanks for the hint! For some reason ASIO4ALL works really lousy with my interface. In fact, it doesn’t work at all in shared mode. I had more luck with asio driver that comes with FLStudio, but the performance is also less than good. So yeah, vst version would be awesome.

Hi,

WAVs containing Vorbis Codec would be played and analyzed by Sononym, but played normally with the VOX audio player (which presumingly using the same API?). For example any sample of the FLStudio sample lib.

grymmjack posted a couple of youtube vids on Sononym -

he’s got a pretty intense sample collection - more than half a million sounds!!

Especially cool to me is how he’s exploring the filter panels (around the 28:00 mark) :smiley:

Thanks for 1.02, loads even faster now and you see better what is going on.

I miss one function extremely: Let’s say I want to use sononym to clean up my sample dirs, e.g. I absolutely do not need samples of tonal synth sounds like a synth bass. So after I did a similarity search on a synth bass, I would like to select multiple in the list and then actually select “DELETE PERMANENTLY”. This still could be secured, by moving it into trashcan and displaying a alert with “no” as default answer.

Or is that already possible? I have so much bullshit in my sample dirs, like 80% could be deleted.

@ffx: thanks, intended to post here about the update here too. You beat me to it :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you’re experiencing an improvement, it’s definitely most noticeable on MacOS.

As for the ability to edit/delete results - sorry, not possible. A good idea though, and one that somehow is related to that other idea that was floated about being able to detect duplicates.

Ok, would it then be possible to get a filelist with paths instead as textfile? Simply like “export current table as csv” or something.

Ah wait, maybe it would be already very nice, if the context menu entry “copy path” was working with multiple selection, \n-separated or something.

Ah wait, maybe it would be already very nice, if the context menu entry “copy path” was working with multiple selection, \n-separated or something.

Indeed also how I’d imagined “copy path” to work with multi-selections!

The “real” ability to trash files should still be implemented, but this could be useful in other ways.

Update is great, sononym is alot faster now, thx. But there is still room for improvement. :slight_smile:

Ok, would it then be possible to get a filelist with paths instead as textfile? Simply like “export current table as csv” or something.

Going out on a limb, technically I would’ve thought it possible to run your own filter query on the sqlite database that Sononym creates to extract a file list? That’s what I’d think of doing if I wanted a plain text file list of the filenames. So long as the filter conditions are not stupid complicated (similarity search I would imagine a no go), it should kinda be doable.

No no, the database contains all entries, and I would like to have a text copy of the current selection / filters in Sononym, so accessing the database file will not help me here. EDIT: I mean, that’s why I am using Sononym, to use it’s filter alogrithms. I would like esp. to use the similarity search on that.

No no, the database contains all entries, and I would like to have a text copy of the current selection / filters in Sononym, so accessing the database file will not help me here.

Yes the database does contain all the entries… So you’re saying that if I run this SQL command on the database:

SELECT "filename" from assets WHERE ("bpm_R" >= 120.0 AND "bpm_R" <= 121.0) ORDER BY "filename";

that doesn’t roughly give me the filenames in the database that are around 120 bpm?

On my machine it outputs:

Looped/120 BPM/No Kick/120BPM No Kick 01.wav
Looped/120 BPM/No Kick/120BPM No Kick 02.wav
Looped/120 BPM/No Kick/120BPM No Kick 03.wav
Looped/120 BPM/No Kick/120BPM No Kick 04.wav

It’s probably not amazing brilliant accurate, but hey it’s just a quick thought for you? Of course as I say more complex filters are more…err…complicated but for a quick simple filter…that’s all I’m saying ffx.

Yes thanks. But what I would like to do is e.g. find a sample of a synth bass, do a similarity search, and then delete all that sound like a synbass. And maybe unselect some entries that are not a synbass. So I would like to delete by sound type. Don’t need anything from synth, I can generate on my own.

Oh, I would like to suggest one additional filter fo sononym: The amount of depth/reverb. So it can find any samples which have reverb inside. Also the amount of stereo variation maybe.

Btw. I just had a crash “main window crashed”, but I cannot find an entry in the normal log? Where do I find the log about this crash?

Some bugs:

There are 2 javascript errors in the status line, they only seem to appear after the “main window crash”:

• As soon as I unfocus the sononym window by clicking safari, there is “Attempting to call a function in renderer window that has be closed or released. Function provided here: index.js:16939”

• When I click sononym:“Attempting to call a function in renderer window that has be closed or released. Function provided here: modal-registration-dialog.js:16791”

• If Renoise is opened in the background, the default audio setup crackles- This is very uncommon on macos, e.g. Vox audio player does not crackle while Renoise is opened. If I then choose my audio device manually, it does not crackle.

@4Tey: yep, all sorts of batch operations can be done with the data available in the sqlite database
(that’s also a reason we didn’t want to obscure this - I enjoy a good creative workaround myself).
But, all ffx really wanted was the ability to delete/trash results from within Sononym itself - a very reasonable request :slight_smile:

The amount of depth/reverb.

Indeed. This was also suggested by one of my friends who is working extensively with reverb in his music.
He called referred to it as panorama, which I think is a good fit - sufficiently abstract so that it’s open to interpretation.

But technically, this is a very hard thing to realize. Sure, you can get an idea about the discrepancy between left and right channels, assuming that the file has more than one channel of audio.
Also, you could get reasonably good results if you had optimal conditions for detecting reverb (e.g. a one-shot with trailing reverb) - but this is often not the case.
So it could become quite a hit-and-miss affair, worst case example being a densely populated monophonic sound drenched in reverb and effects -
any human would be able to tell that it was very reverbey, but it’s tricky to translate this into something a computer would understand.

Of course, if you have come across any research or software that does something like this, I’d be interested to hear about it
(for instance, Accusonus have made a reverb-removal plugin called ERA-R)

Where do I find the log about this crash?

In the case of a crash, the log might contain some of the steps leading up to the crash, but the crash itself won’t appear.
But Sononym can send anonymous crash reports (minidump files) - by default, this option already enabled in the help menu.

If Renoise is opened in the background, the default audio setup crackles
[…] If I then choose my audio device manually

OK, just to make sure I understood - you’re saying that

1. The order in which you open the programs is important
  • opening e.g. Renoise before Sononym works, but not the other way around?
  • so, it’s not “just” a driver that doesn’t like to be multi-client ?
  1. The problem can only be solved by manually selecting the audio device
  • does that mean you have to do this every single time?
  • what choice of audio device is actually working without crackling?

Note that we are going to replace the audio framework used by Sononym with our own (currently using PortAudio).
Of course that won’t magically fix any problems with drivers that aren’t multi-client capable,
but it certainly will make sure that we better understand and are able to fix any problems that might arise.

But, all ffx really wanted was the ability to delete/trash results from within Sononym itself - a very reasonable request :slight_smile:

Yes, I know. I’m not out to attack people and their ideas. I honestly never said otherwise :unsure:

OK, just to make sure I understood - you’re saying that

1. The order in which you open the programs is important
  • opening e.g. Renoise before Sononym works, but not the other way around?
  • so, it’s not “just” a driver that doesn’t like to be multi-client ?
  1. The problem can only be solved by manually selecting the audio device
  • does that mean you have to do this every single time?
  • what choice of audio device is actually working without crackling?

Note that we are going to replace the audio framework used by Sononym with our own (currently using PortAudio).
Of course that won’t magically fix any problems with drivers that aren’t multi-client capable,
but it certainly will make sure that we better understand and are able to fix any problems that might arise.

No, as soon as Renoise is opened, no matter if loaded before or after, sononym will crackle with the default output settings. Also it is not samplerate related, doesn’t matter if Renoise is 44,1 or 48khz. using any other audio app aside to Renoise, no crackle will appear. But if I set my audio device explicitly in the sononym’s settings, the crackles are gone. I only setup the config one time in sononym. It’s not a show stopper, only wanted to mention, because maybe people are confused about crackles.

Thanks for the details!

But if I set my audio device explicitly in the sononym’s settings, the crackles are gone.

Ah, OK. I thought you couldn’t get playback to work without the crackles…
But indeed, the default settings are supposed to “just work”. Hm!

The “Pitch” column in Sononym is actually offset 1 octave (lower) from the Renoise spectrum view. Why?

Renoise shows 440 Hz as A-5. What am I missing?

I’m just being curious, I don’t really care.

I’m having a blast using Sononym & Renoise via Sonoymph tool… feels like the future

Just testing out the demo.

Holy sh*t. Now I know what I want for Christmas this year. Very nice work.