Sononym - Sample Browser

you should refresh the availability page:https://www.sononym.net/blog/pricing-and-availability/

Let me just update the page, so it doesn’t contain any outdated information
(although it sucks to update an existing blog entry, in this case I think you’re right)

Thanks!

Didn’t ADSR just release near enough a similar thing too ? (For free)
Seems to be stepping in to a flooded market and 89 euros seems way too high in that case, this simply wont sell at that price if there are cheaper or free options, this is no longer the world of fake plenty.
Add to that the developers being new comers, i suspect most people will expect abandonware in no time at all.
Wasn’t there some kind of video tracker that went no where in the time since Renoise releases dried up too ?

I really hope you consider a massive price reduction for release or at least massive reduction for Renoise users so that you get some development funds, the group i just showed this to laughed it out at that price, it is completely ludicrous.

Loopmaster will soon release a free update, which allow Loopcloud Users to add their personal sample library to the Loopcloud App.

It’s much more powerful than the ADSR sample browser and free, too. But Sononym still have a feature, which both don’t have. Automatically sound analysis and search for timbre, pitch and so on. I’m excited how good this is working,but I also hope that they don’t forget to add a good meta/tag system.

Can’t wait to buy this :slight_smile:

OMG! :smiley:

with the adsr sample manager you cant drop diff samples in diff instruments in the renoise instrument panel it always

loads the sample in the same instrument where the current instance of the plugin its loaded

i hope with sononym you can freely place the samples in whatever instrument you like

I really hope you consider a massive price reduction for release or at least massive reduction for Renoise users so that you get some development funds, the group i just showed this to laughed it out at that price, it is completely ludicrous.

agree on this !!

You guys are_fast :)_

I really hope you consider a massive price reduction for release or at least massive reduction for Renoise users

Yep, we all agree on this. Group discount for Renoisers, check.
Let me just get back with something more specific, OK?

Edit:

with the adsr sample manager you cant drop diff samples in diff instruments in the renoise instrument panel

There is no “magical” solution to this, it involves both the software you drag from and the software you drag into.
So many DAWs are quite limited here - which is actually a major reason why Sononym has a separate bookmark & export system.

this is perfect danoise !!!

Pretty awesome intro video and music, too!

I have a question, is this the right thread then?

If I scanned multiple dirs, it would be great if there was a parent node on the top of the dir list, so you can select all dirs at once… Or is this already possible?

If I do a similarity search while the seconds dir is selected, will Sononym also look then into the first dir, too?

Just want to chime in with a few negatives.

• The program is currently in a living death. There’s a bouncing ‘no’ sign and text that says ‘not supported - unsupported item’ on a translucent grey background that I can’t remove. The menus seem to work but I don’t see a way to get rid of the overlay. My bumping the mouse with a micro click+drag on one of the samples seems to be the culprit.

• The first thing I did when I started the program was attempt to drag and drop the folder of Renoise’s stock samples: a folder I don’t own. That’s not allowed but no warnings popped up until I manually added the folder.

• My credit card was rejected at checkout. I’m sure my details were good.

• The name and email in the titlebar seems a bit weird. It’s not a big deal but if there was an option to hide them then I’d take it.

Other than that, I think it’s a good program. I like it more than I thought I would.

where is the discount !!!

i want my discount :badteethslayer:

Mmh what about making “sononym.db” etc. invisible, so it 100% won’t appear in other sample browsers, or tested as being a sample by other engines?

E.g. “.sononym.db” instead on macos and Linux?

@lhaastdaiz: thanks, will look into these issues.
Re payment: you tried to purchase but it got rejected? Let us PM and try to resolve this
(in any case, you probably want to wait a little if you want to join in on the discount :wink:

• The program is currently in a living death. There’s a bouncing ‘no’ sign and text that says ‘not supported - unsupported item’ on a translucent grey background that I can’t remove.

Ooh, I think this is the drop-overlay you are referring to.
When working, it’s supposed to look like this:

8203 sononym-overlay.png

If I scanned multiple dirs, it would be great if there was a parent node on the top of the dir list, so you can select all dirs at once… Or is this already possible?

Currently, any search is limited to a single library at a time. So, if you had scanned the topmost level you would get results from all folders below.
And in this case, selecting a subfolder would then restrict the search to that folder (and its subfolders), so this is probably what you want to do.

It’s not that I don’t understand your point, it’s a valid one. But joining libraries on the fly is technically a bit hard to realize, so we skipped it for now.

About making the file invisible, this could indeed work on Unix based computers.
But on windows, you are asking for trouble because Explorer really doesn’t like files that begin with a .dot

If I do a similarity search while the seconds dir is selected, will Sononym also look then into the first dir, too?

Same question for me. I’ll have multiple libraries and whern i’m searching for a sample, it should search all libraries.

1 Like

@toimp: yes :slight_smile: But, see my answer above for why it doesn’t… at least, yet.

But something I forgot to mention (and that could easily be overlooked) is that the similarity source is preserved, carried over as you switch between libraries.
So if your samples are divided into multiple libraries, each one is no further away than a single click…

@danoise: Sorry missed this :slight_smile: The reason why i’ve more than one library is that these sample folders are on different location. My main sample folder is on D:, Renoise samples are installed on C:. Loopcloud is on another folder on D:, Bitwig ones on C:, too. A global search would be pretty useful for this case.

Some Feature ideas:

• Hide empty folders in libraries

• Background playback (on/off via option)

• Randomize button, so the results are sorted randomly (check loopcloud)

• Moving thesononym.db somewhere into Appdata (i currently cant add some folders without admin rights are needed for creating these files. Renoise Resources folder for example.)

• Instead of severalsononym.db files for each library, what about a single one? So global search would be possible. Or allow us to create a library, where we can add different folders of different locations to it.

Questions? Keep’em coming :slight_smile:

• Hide empty folders in libraries

Empty folders shouldn’t show up in libraries. In fact, only folders containing audio should show up.
If you experience something else, this should be considered a bug!

• Background playback (on/off via option)

You mean, that playback continues from one to the next when done?

• Randomize button, so the results are sorted randomly (check loopcloud)

There is a randomized playback option. It’s not shuffling the results but rather, picking a random, non-repeating result from the list.
To make it more interesting it also picks results with a tendency towards “more relevant” results when you have sorted by a category or is performing a similarity search
(in these scenarios, Sononym is more likely to pick results that are higher up the list…)

As for the folders-from-different hard-drives:
I’m not sure how much I should recommend this approach, BUT - we have ensured that Sononym actually has excellent symlink support.
So you could in theory create a special folder somewhere, and create symlinks to your various locations.

I’m hesitant because it always seems a bit like a workaround and even a bit dangerous if you don’t know exactly what you are doing.
But I’ve got a test library that contains content from 3 different drives, and it has worked just fine on my system.