Sononym - Sample Browser

Ok, i created a new folder with some junctions. Seems works great. Nice :slight_smile: This could be a tutorial for your youtube channel.

About background playback. When a long sample is played and Sononym lost the focus, it stops the playback.

Never mind, i found an option in the menu. :slight_smile:

About the empty folder, i was just confused. When a filter is active, it could be possible that a folder will be empty. Maybe these folders can be hided?

About random playback, missed the hidden shortcut, could be added as button, too :slight_smile:

My impressions, if I may share:

• No instant playback. 0.2s (?) delay is really bugging me. Has to be snappy IMO.

• Took me a couple of minutes to understand how to add files and make them searchable (= not via drag’n’drop). Libraries/collection/explore concepts aren’t instantly obvious.

• Doesn’t seem fully well trained for vocal sounds? I’m getting more irrelevant hits there, it seems. I guess it’s getting tricked either by formant filters or “burring” (?) sounds.

• Seems great!

Mhn, i cant mix class and categories. For example, “Claps” and “Loop” to get some looped clap samples. Is this a bug?

Thanks joule!

• No instant playback. 0.2s (?) delay is really bugging me. Has to be snappy IMO.

Oh, this is definitely due to the (very) conservative “default” audio settings.
Head into preferences and dial it down all the way until you start to hear crackles on the test tone.
Or better still: use ASIO :slight_smile:

But you have a point - we should add a dialog, shown initially, pointing out that you might want to adjust these settings.

• Took me a couple of minutes to understand how to add files and make them searchable (= not via drag’n’drop). Libraries/collection/explore concepts aren’t instantly obvious.

Indeed, the library is where the “meat” is. Unfortunately, you can’t get there without first building a database - hence, the explorer.
But I could imagine that eventually, these things will fit more tightly together.

• Doesn’t seem fully well trained for vocal sounds? I’m getting more irrelevant hits there, it seems. I guess it’s getting tricked either by formant filters or “burring” (?) sounds.

Yes, vocals are indeed the hardest for a computer to tell apart - something we suspected would be tricky all along.
Refining the models have been a continuous process, which involves refining the training data, measuring test results, gathering feedback, etc. It’s a long and time consuming process.
The biggest improvements usually arrive as we identify some “obvious” and well-defined category… because then, these sounds won’t end up elsewhere :slight_smile:
It’s always going to be a bit fuzzy, though - which is also why we’ve made it possible for a sample to be “on the fence” (belong to one, two or even more categories at the same time).

Mhn, i cant mix class and categories. For example, “Claps” and “Loop” to get some looped clap samples. Is this a bug?

Not a bug, but perhaps missing functionality. As things are now, a sample can be classified in four different ways:

• Loop
  • Oneshot
  • Loop/Oneshot
  • Oneshot/Loop

When both classes are present, the first one is the primary class (this is also made clear by the text being brighter)
And, (this is what you’re looking for) currently a “pure” Loop does not display a category, while the other 3 are able to.

So, while you can actually select the “Claps” category and get some loops, they will be Oneshot/Loops as things are currently working.
But it does indeed make sense for simple, well defined loops. Note taken :slight_smile:

nice! really liking it so far :slight_smile:

one small issue though, on linux I can’t seem to be able to drag & drop from sononym to renoise (nor redux)

I don’t think this is related to my WM, I can dnd to reaper (native) and even to a reasamplomatic5000 instance

Looks great from the vid, looking forward to trying it out. Just a heads up google autocorrects ‘sononym’ to ‘synonym’ by default when you search for it - so if someone searches for ‘sononym sample browser’ they get hits for synonims of browser on thesaurus.com - just something to think about for SEO etc.

one small issue though, on linux I can’t seem to be able to drag & drop from sononym to renoise (nor redux)

Hm, this should work but we test only with a couple of Linux distros.
Which one are you using, if I might ask?

google autocorrects ‘sononym’ to ‘synonym’ by default when you search for it

Haha, yes. We’ve basically picked a fight against auto-correction! I guess we have no choice but to teach Google (et al) that ‘sononym’ is now a thing.
We have won the SEO battle though - once you manage to convince the search engine that yes, you really did mean what you wrote, we are among the first few results :slight_smile:

Hm, this should work but we test only with a couple of Linux distros.
Which one are you using, if I might ask?

Sure, I’m using Arch Linux. Any other info I could give to ease troubleshooting?

@kytdkut: not for now, no. Just knowing the distro will be very helpful, I’m sure.

i want my discount :badteethslayer:

I want my discount MTV!!
Ehhh…wait.

Here’s the deal: if you scroll up this page, I’ve now attached a poll which will let us gauge the interest for a group discount:

It works like this: if many people indicate that they are strongly interested (replying yes), you will be able to purchase a Sononym at up to half the price.
“Less than many” (I dunno, 50 people or less…) will only yield a discount of 75% 25%. But then, the good thing is that that’s pretty much guaranteed to happen.

The discount will be limited to a certain time period and/or quantity - these details will be announced once the polling is over.

Basically: if you’re interested you can spread the word ( == annoy your tracker friends) and you’re more likely to save money yourself.
Sounds great, eh? :smiley:

Edit: and no rush, we’ll keep this poll open for a while. As in, at least a week and probably more.

… will only yield a discount of 75%. :unsure: But then, the good thing is that that’s pretty much guaranteed to happen.

… will only yield a discount of 75%. :unsure: But then, the good thing is that that’s pretty much guaranteed to happen.

It is probably a mistake. It is clear that it refers to a 25% discount and a 50% discount. That is 75% of the price or 50% of the price.

Found a small bug with umlauts:

I’ve currently ~105.000 samples indexed. Starting Sononym takes a while. Maybe you guys can improve the loading time abit? Resetting filters also takes 1-2 seconds, because of the amount of samples.

Is the list fully added to the DOM? Maybe this is the reason why. There are some clever javascript libs out there, which only render current visible list items.

Does sononym see new samples and folders by itself? I know i can do a refresh, but with this amount of samples, it takes some time.

It is probably a mistake.

Yup :blush: and somehow it fixed itself while I was AFK for a few hours
So either the Renoise forum has evolved sentient powers by itself - or someone fixed it for me…

Found a small bug with umlauts:

Thanks!! There should be UTF8 support everywhere, but obviously this one slipped through.

Is the list fully added to the DOM? Maybe this is the reason why.

No, this would be due to the SQLite database driver - not the rendering itself (the table of results is fully “virtualized”).
But it’s true - the larger the database is, the longer it takes to “warm up”. Once warmed up, the size itself only has a minimal impact on queries.

ups sorry misunderstood the thing

@danoise: How does sononym see new samples and folders in a library? I know i can do a refresh, but with my amount of samples, it takes some time.

@toimp: for now, refreshing is the way. It’s quite intensive to “watch” an entire filesystem (we’ve been there)… but I’m sure we will find a way :slight_smile:

I think on macos its fsevents, no need to actively watch dirs every second. If the event popups, then you can check if its inside your dirs?

I use a program called Everything, and after building its initial indexing of every file and folder on all my harddrives, it updates instantly any time changes are made anywhere on my computer. I wonder how it does it?

I wonder how it does it?

By running as a lower level service and accessing/monitoring the NTFS master file table directly? → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Master_File_Table

All this over a (expensive) file browser? I should’ve become a developer :unsure: