SoundCloud changes

1 Like

That’s a pretty substantial reduction. Assuming a 3 min average, that’s moving down from 60 tracks to 15. I used to upload private works-in-progress there, something definitely I wouldn’t do with the new system.

The email I got phrased it a bit differently:

To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th , our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks.

I’m not sure what they mean, really. If I remember right, I was uploading and downloading plain WAV files to SoundCloud years ago. Considering that they need to lossily re-encode it, that seems like table stakes to me.

1 Like

soundcloud its kinda dead to me atm

you guys should give a look to Audius

and while you are at it check my profile and follow i will be uploading there and to bandcamp in the future

2 Likes

This is a huge change. I think they are searching for an effective business model.

In fact I’m not against monthly payment (I was recently thinking about it for my Soundcloud account to avoid annoying publicities), but Pro Unlimited is starting with 6 euros/month, and it’s a bit expensive IMHO.

This could really penalize Souncloud because the strength of a service like this is the amount of users. The 15 tracks limit is really quick to reach, and I’m really not sure that majority of peole will pay for more.

1 Like

Audius looks cool, signing up now.

2 Likes

Guys, let’s face it. Soundcloud is dead with this decision. Instead making the free account even worse, they could have added resource-gentle features to the premium accounts. e.g. voting, more grouping etc. etc. This also will be like a boomerang and lead into the end of soundcloud.

Someone gave me this alternative: https://audiomack.com
Looks to me like the best alternative so far, it also has comments. They could provide a “soundcloud migration tool”, so all tracks, including comments and votes could be transferred to them. I would even pay like 5 EUR once for that action.

Also check this thread: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=535733&p=7594482

1 Like

Really liking Audius, the community is already huge!

IMO it’s just time to wait, I’m not sure Soundcloud will keep this new change on at the end. Sure that if a lot of user run away, the previous rules will go back, or a most similar one.

The sc premium membership you get cheaper until 16.12. for one year.

hey thank you very much the bros that followed me on audius if you guys want lets create a thread for audius so we can all follow each other

eat me already has like 7 tunes its hard to keep up :sweat_smile:

But… audius doesn’t support comments.

yeah but its gonna come at some point they just recently added hidden/private tracks to share and in the discord you can request for features and talk to the developer Alex

anyways anything is better than soundcloud with its million bots

1 Like

Hm, ok, but the UI also is not that nice so far, very sluggish and slow loading. I think I wouldn’t enjoy it. I signed up now at audiomack.

Meh it doesn’t accept my uploads heheh. Maybe because 48kHz? Upload doesn’t work with Safari.

1 Like

I’m only starting to look at the “developers” page, but reading “Customize the UI” and “Create Your Own Visualizer” I’m already totally onboard for making a thread about Audius, this sounds sweet. Though the name “Audius” reminds me of this :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe http://hearthis.at still is the best. I only do not like the domain name :laughing:

1 Like

Ah… this is a significant point.

Seems also quite dead. Audius is slow and why I cannot log in on the first page?

I think soundcloud is still the best. Why not paying a bit?

Well, what I hate about the SC premium, that it leads into dependency. Once you have more tracks (now even more limited), and you switch back to free, your whole account is somehow ruined. I don’t like this concept, also I actually find it too expensive for what I get in return. Just my 2 cents. You can feel that there are now “business” people leading it, having weird ideas about how to make money, just like Apple.

If they added more value to premium instead limiting free, I would agree. This actually is the second time soundcloud reduced the capabilities. Like all their developers already have died and now they want to get out the maximum of this outdated, ironed structure.

Actually I hate soundcloud.

2 Likes

I also think that would be better. Around 6 euros/month seems rational after all for a convenient service and rather fast on various systems.

But of course it’s an unexpected additional cost.

In fact I’m also not a big fan about all free-to-use online service, user is becoming the product with this (like with facebook wich sell all personnal datas for commercial…).

Email from soundcloud:

What does this even mean?