"Standard" Pattern Length for Larger LPBs?

I’m still coming to grips with Renoise but after some checking it seems like an easy way to work with 16th note triplets in the program is to use 12LPB, or 6 at the bare minimum. Initially I ran into a spot of trouble with resizing my pattern (expand… expand… nope, gotta rewrite lol) but thankfully I only had one to deal with. Along with increasing the LPB, I increased the pattern length to 192 lines. The math checks out for a 4 bar pattern, but that seems a little long- not to mention far less clean than 64, a power of 2.

That got me thinking, are there any relatively standard pattern lengths that get used for larger LPBs/LPBs that aren’t powers of 2? In that regard, if I wanted to keep the pattern length down, is it better to use the note delay column or the Fractional Notes tool? Additionally, are there any benefits to using one of these methods over the other?

Cheers and thank you for any replies.

I tend to like 4 bars per pattern. Keep in mind a pattern set to 80 (this is hex) will provide 128 lines.

1 Like

I like 4 measures per pattern. So at 16 LPB my default is 256 lines per pattern.

This is also a the equivalent of 64th note resolution in more conventional DAWs

1 Like

I’d have to agree that 4 bars per pattern is quite nice. Definitely good for laying things out. Personally I think the lowest I could see myself going is 2, though I can’t help but think 8 would be pretty sweet as well.

One thing I’ve noticed regarding note resolution is how unfortunately some of the math works out. If I wanted both 16th note triplets and 32nd notes, I’d need an LPB of 24. Definitely not terrible- though it doesn’t support 64th notes, you’d need to double it.
But, if I wanted to support every subdivision of a note up to 32nd notes (1,2,3,…,8), the LPB balloons up to 840. Don’t even get me started on the fact that it wouldn’t handle 64th notes. Kidding, of course. I can’t see myself in a situation where I would be using all of these note subdivisions in one composition, but I can’t help but wonder if there are any good strategies I could use if I ever happen to be knee deep in a song and suddenly want to use a 1/5 or 2/5 figure in there. I mean, at that point it’s most likely note delay, even if it’s not quite mathematically correct in the end.

New tool (3.1): Place selected notes evenly

Use this tool and have whatever tuplets you like, working at whatever LPB you prefer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Marked as solution but forgot to say thanks. So: thanks for letting me know about this tool!

1 Like

I would have posted the same. And that’s why this tool needs to become a native feature.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.