Suggestion/Request: Momentary/Slider Switch for LFO's Reset and Hydra

what are you trying to do?

enhancing

bruh, you’re going to have to be a little more specific, lol
lfo reset functionality works just fine here.
watch this, maybe? LFO - Modulation & Effects - YouTube

in an ideal world,we should be able to trigger events from an audio level

event could also be playing samples

in an ideal world, we should be able to extrude the music directly from our brains, fully realized. In the real world, there are always workarounds :upside_down_face:

not quite sure what you mean by triggering events at the audio level, but you can use a signal follower to automate reset on a one-shot lfo to act like a switch for control of another parameter

How do you do that?

I have just to wait for TakTik continue in his logic,providinG a next-gen Music design system MDS

That’s right

it’s the reason why all users should involve in

No suggestion?

So Beatsgo (and me) has pointed a true problem

just like I said, bro. use a signal follower to automate reset on a one-shot lfo to act like a switch for control of another parameter.

You still haven’t explained what, specifically, you’re trying to do/achieve. If you can give me a clear description, I might be able to help. “enhancing” is pretty general, lol

I don’t believe so. @beatsgo just wanted to be able to use either behavior, which you can, as outlined above.

Still not clear on what you’re after… English is not your first language, I take it…

Logic signal…rising edge…falling edge…threshold…

the rising edge start the reset
the falling edge re-arm the reset

each edge have his own threshold

why not just use the pattern command? You can put the reset wherever you want

Believe me…the solution i give is very powerfull

Think EVENT

Just a device to code…0-255 to rising-falling converter

but the pattern command is already an EVENT. seems like you’re asking for something superfluous…

if you want to retrigger an lfo with each keypress, the keytracker does that

if you want to retrigger an lfo throughout a pattern (think EVENT), the pattern command does that

if you want to scrub through an lfo on an arbitrary timescale, tie it to a macro or a hydra and use the hydra input or macro knob

if you want audio to modulate an lfo, use a signal follower

what other use case are you looking for?

A pattern command can break the workfow…simply

I’m sure my idea will be in renoise in less than 2 years…

cheers

I think there’s a misunderstanding of a unique case where this feature request maybe beneficial: resetting multiple instances of LFOs using a single DSP on multi parts of the song. Yes I agree it’s probably better to do it through the pattern editor and to be frank I’m a lazy person. Unfortunately I can’t think of any other way that a specific DSP that can send momentary switching signals to multiple LFO’s reset button other than going through a keytracker.

Just to demonstrate I prepared 2 GIFs showcasing how hydra can’t “momentarily switch” the reset button thus treating it as a slider instead:
Key Tracker Output → LFO’s Reset
lfo_key_tracker_reset

Key Tracker Output → Hydra’s Input → LFO’s Reset
hydra_key_tracker_reset

I’m very aware of the “don’t try to reinvent the wheel” but I’m looking through another viewpoint.

1 Like

I know I’m adding fuel
to the fire, but just to demonstrate further thatl latching mechanicisms in Renoise DSPs are slider base other than key tracker. Basically: Key Tracker → Formula → LFO. The Formula is simplistic: Y = A.

Demonstration:
keytracker_formula_lfo

1 Like

Sure. I’ve run into this issue myself. Thanks for the clear explanation :slight_smile:
It would definitely be useful to have the input value retrigger for each event instance. I wonder if this is a bug, or intended behavior for the hydra. I, too, am quite lazy, so have worked around this by creating a couple of doofers that do what I need them to in this regard. One is an “LFO bank” which has several LFOs, each tied to a keytracker. I just drop an effect unit dsp in there (or two, or several) and can have multiple parameters retriggering with each keypress. Another is for “Macro control” which is essentially the same (8 LFOs paired with keytrackers), but has instrument macros as the modulation targets. this is super useful to place in instrument effect chains to modulate internal parameters. Greatly expands sound design possibilities. I’ll post up those doofers in this thread soon. Perhaps they will be useful to some people.

1 Like

Here are those doofers:
LFO bank.xrdp (26.3 KB)
Macro control.xrdp (28.6 KB)
All LFOs are set to random at INF LPC, so each keypress triggers a new value, once you turn the amplitude up on the LFO. Of course, you can substitute in any kind of LFO you want. I should also add that if you want to use a non-random LFO, dial the keytracker (min&) max value to zero, so that each keypress resets to zero, otherwise the reset will scale with note pitch/value.
These two doofers are a huge part of my sound design approach in renoise, and are, imo, pretty useful/powerful when you understand how to use em. Especially dropping them into the instrument effect chains! Game changing, imo.

1 Like

Hey, I figured out another way to do this!
use a keytracker to reset a random LFO at INF LPC (or whatever frequency you want) which triggers the hydra input. This will reset the hydra with a random input value with every keypress. All of the hydra outs can go to various LFO resets and you can set the reset range however you want… you can keep them random or restrict them to a range of values, or lock them to a single value… zero, or whatever you want. Easy peasy momentary LFO resets. It’s a workaround, but totally functional while we wait for new features. I imagine the principle might have some other applications, too. This doofer just has 4 LFOs, but you could up it to 9, or add another hydra and keep expanding it.
LFO bank 2 (momentary hydra).xrdp (18.7 KB)

1 Like