Support Vst 3???

I may be wrong, but doesn’t the coarse definition of VST2 parameters get almost completely addressed by the ramping done by the DAW?

I mean, if you change the value of a VST2 parameter from 1A to 1B, Renoise takes care of ramping the related parameter value throughout the ticks of the row where the new value is set. If you instead use automation curves, the ramping is made across all the lines which separate the two values.

this of course is not 100% like having a finer resolution, because you can’t set the start and end value more precisely using sliders, but it’s better than simply having a bare 7-bit resolution

IT-Alien:

Yeah, but these slides between effect values should happen within a coarse region, For example, if you change the parameter from 50% to 60%, there must be exactly ten 12-13 steps between the values since the whole available range is only 127 steps. The DAW would not be able to use fractions for the slides.

parameter ranges in vst2.4 are fully 32bit 0…1 normalized floating point numbers, so if a host only triggers 7bit automation is another story, not a 2.4 flaw. what maybe is not handled in 2.4 is timestamped parameter changes, so the host can ramp the parameters sample accurate inside each buffer block of sample processed.

Trees for synths/effects with many cryptically named parameters would be a nice addition… But then again, I’m sure the Renoise Team could make parameters more accessible without the need for VST3 (Or maybe I just haven’t learnt some deeper Renoise trickery yet). I’m sure that VST 2.4 and Renoise provides far more than most us mortals can even begin to comprehend.

Let’s first fully utilize VST 2.4 and experience what that offers before throwing in a VST 3 debate.

It’s significant that you can no longer apply for a VST 2 license from Steinberg. New developers, or developers that haven’t applied for the license for continued VST 2 publishing, cannot (legally anyway) publish VST 2 plugins of their own, without using an intermediary that does have a VST 2 license. At least since their cutoff, which was Fall 2018.

1 Like

Plugin developer here - and surprised to find that Renoise doesn’t support VST3. I know there are a lot of fancy features in VST3 that aren’t pertinent to Renoise, but is there any way of just implementing it with the features that are already available in Renoise, and just not implementing the stuff that it doesn’t support? It’s just sad that I have to technically “illegally” release my plugins as VST2 so my users can use my plugins in their favourite tracker!

I totally know how you feel though. The VST3 SDK is a fucking dogs dinner at best.

5 Likes

I’d love to pay again for Renoise and get new features and VST3 support.
There’s some plugins out there that exist as VST3 only, like misstortion for example, that I’d love to use.

2 Likes

There is a nice workaround:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=10271586&postcount=840
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4884031#p4884031

There are VST3 Wrapper out there. You just need to put these files from the “Gears” sub folder to your VST2 folder:

vst3shell.x64
vsti3shell.x64.dll
vst3shell.x64.core

After rescan in Renoise, there should be all VST3 effects and VST3 instruments available. Seems works to great.

6 Likes

+1 for VST3 support, especially now that Propellerhead has added the Rack Plugin to Reason 11. The wrapper linked above seems to work fine at the moment, but I would rather see this as a native feature.

1 Like

The one thread wasn’t good enough so we had to bring back the other from the dead!

I really respect the work of developers. but it seems to me not quite true to ignore users so much. but I’m glad that the project lives at least in this form. and in spite of controversial points, there is nothing better than renoises yet.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re being fair. How can you say they ignore users? They have to prioritize and imo i think they have mostly adressed the most important problems with the last update. VST 3 support is a secondary feature and personally i haven’t had any use for it at all so far. If it had been very easy to add the feature it would have been added already, but i would guess there are many fatures above this on the priority list.

2 Likes

I am confused, too. Didn’t taktik just posted an bugfix update? And didn’t he wrote somewhere lately, that VST3 is his next actual addition?

2 Likes

Forget my friend. everything will be as it will be.

Bless

2 Likes

I tried them with Renoise. They work great with the Reason 11 VST3 Rack.

I’m also developing my own VSTs. All my VST3 plugins also have a built in VST2 wrapper. You just have to rename the extension from “.vst3” to “.dll” and they will load as VST2 plugins inside a VST2 host.

3 Likes

I have a question about VST3 actually… Somebody mentioned that a single instrument to take multiple MIDI. Could you use that to reduce a Kontakt multi with 11 instruments (1 instance, 10 aliases):

kontakt%20multi

and reduce it down to just down to one instrument slot? If so, that would be amazing, but I might have misunderstood the whole “multi MIDI” thing completely wrong.

Yeah, Reason works great. But there are some issues. Like sometimes the GUI doesn’t open correctly or a part is missing like here:

Not sure, if this is a Reason or a Renoise or Wrapper issue.

The missing part in your picture is because of the open browser. Close it and you can see the whole rack again. This is the Reason Rack, not the wrapper. In other VST3 compatible DAWs it is the same issue without any wrapper.

I think I need help.
I put all the 6 files below in the same folder where I also put a VST3 plugin (“again.vst3” from Steinberg SDK):

• vst3shell.core
  • vst3shell.dll
  • vst3shell.x64.core
  • vst3shell.x64.dll
  • vsti3shell.dll
  • vsti3shell.x64.dll

Then I relaunched Renoise (with rescan plugins option turned on).
But all I see is:

What is the next step in order to see (or to use) the “again.vst3” plugin?
Thanks for your help.
(Windows 10 in 64bits)

1 Like