Sync The Lfo To Tempo?

how do i sync the lfo device to renoise bpm?

thanks!

go to an effect column with a free space at the beginning of your pattern… right click “Reset” on the lfo… you’ll notice an effect pops up in the effect column… #600 … change the 00 to the LFO offset you want it to start at ;) … 40 being a quarter of the way in, 80 being halfway, C0 being 3/4, etc

the LFO is synchronized through the “Frequency” parameter.

the frequency unit is LPC (Lines per Cycle), which indicates how many pattern lines are needed to complete one LFO cycle.
For a 64 rows pattern, a LPC value of 64.00, as shwn in the picture above, means that the LFO will cycle once per pattern.

if you increase BPM value, the lines will be processed faster, so in this sense the LFO is already and always synched to BPM

hey thanks - are there any plans for an tempo sync feature in future versions?

thnaks

oh and iT Alien - nice to see you on the ubuntu forums the other day - i’ve been posting there to spead the news of linux renoise - works pretty much perfect in ubuntu studio 7.10

or ´sync lfo to host position´-option, like Vanguards trancegate.

might end up funny when experimenting with pattern lenghts.

I’d simply do the same thing the delay DSP does for synching to ticks

we need tempo synced LFO’s or there will be no renoise produced dubstap

The LFO already is synced to tempo/bpm… It-Alien even said so in his reply.

If you are working at speed 6 and every beat is equal to 4 pattern rows, then you can set your LFO frequency to 4 LPC and it will cycle once on every beat. Now if you change BPM in your song, the LFO will stay synced to the new BPM and will always cycle once per beat.

If you want to trigger the LFO from a different position/phase (so that it starts out rising or falling, for example), then you simply put an x6yy command into the pattern, where x is the number of the LFO device in the DSP chain, and yy is the position/phase you want ranging from 00 to FF.

Here is another thread dealing with LFO stuff.

Unless you mean something totally different and I’m totally missing the point?

not totally different but i meant an option to switch from lpc to say 1/4 1/16 1/32 3/4 etc automatically kinda like the subtractor in reason - because all that lpc stuff seems too much like maths to me!

or like he said

C’mon, it’s not that difficult :D

You’re already thinking in terms of lines when you lay down your notes and beats. You already know that your kick/snare/whatever should go on every Nth pattern line, etc, etc. It’s really very simple to tune the LFO to match what you are doing, imho. Just experiment with it and it will become clear.

But the delay sync is already working with lines… just like the LFO! :)
If you can figure out the type of delay you want (ie. triplets would be a delay of 3 lines), then you can easily figure out the correct LFO setting to use since the same rules apply.

But for what it’s worth, I can also see the usefulness of a more “musical” way to input the LFO setting, so if something sensible can be figured out then it will get a +1 from me.

i just think that an option to switch from lpc to ‘beat’ mode would be a worthwhile choice so the slider would move in musical increments.

i just go by ear - but i like the fact there is a sync button! I would never have worked out that triplets is a delay of three lines - what happens if you change speed?

seriously i am totally retarded at maths, beside the facts that i work in finance and renoise - numbers make me nervous. surely making music on a pc means that you shouldn’t have to do any calculations yrself - thats what the computer is for?

Blah. Computers and numbers go hand in hand. If u wanna make music without numbers start playing free jazz live.

Would be good to be able to detach LFO speed from tempo also. F.ex. for making non-synced effects. Or for adjusting it going with sample position. In these cases changing bpm would result in unwanted effects.

dude, as others already said: the lfo is sync’ed by design (i like the sound of that. sync’ed by design <3). you can’t really unsync it. (well, you can give a weird long fraction as the “lpc” value which would result in very long cycles where the lfo would seem to be out of sync, but it’s still synced. it’s just not recognisable for human brains anymore.)

well the only thing about the lfo that’s “really” out of sync is the phase. but you can very easily controll the phase via the described pattern commands.

a problem with your “cycles per beat” or whatever option would imho be the fact the renoise doesn’t have a defined metrum. you prolly have that in your head while programming in your patterns, but renoise itself works independently form anything like a “time signature”. that requires a little more thinking but results in much more freedom when it comes to changing time signatures during patterns etc. and using weird time signatures in general.

and dude, the “lines per cycle” thing really isn’t math at all. i first thought the “c” in lpc was standing for cents. so it would have been some math to get the actual frequency in hertz. then you’d have to calculate how much “hertz” one pattern line has and THEN you’d be able to sync the lfo through some more math. but all that math is absolutely obsolete, because the lfo is sync’ed by design. (i was really happy when i realised that.) so i can’t see what you’re talking about when you say you have to do any math here…

really easy example: if you have a 16 line pattern and think of it as one bar in 4/4, then the time signature could also be described as 16/16. (which is the same as 4/4 (both are 1) and gives you the value of 1 line: a 16th note). then every 4th line is a quarter etc. so if you wanna sync your lfo to 8th, just use “2 lines per cycle”. if you wanna sync it to exactly one bar use “16 lines per cycle”, if you wanna sync it to 3 quarter notes just use “12 lines per cycle” etc pp

it’s a really straight forward concept.

and @ triplets are 3 lines. erm, of course as i said renoise doesn’t make use of time signatures, so you can actually say “23th triplets are 2.31235 lines” and i couldn’t “prove” you wrong. but assuming normal 4/4 time signatures, 3 lines or not triplets but rather just 3 16th notes x:
(if you were talking about “tics” rather than actual lines plz let me know and also tell me how to sync the dsp-delay to tics rather than lines. (i’d guess line sync and then use the percentage slider to get it right, but i’m too lazy to think that through right now ._."))

edit: oh well, Kameleontti said it. the thing you actually can’t do with the lfo is unsync it…
(that’s why your thread more or less freaked me out a bit…)
and +1 for an optional unsync mode for the lfo.

errrrrrr… that went right over my head i’m afraid - i read that paragraph about 10 times and i had absolutely no idea how 12 lines a cycle in a 16 line pattern makes 3 quarter notes - then i got my calculater out and yes - 12 divided by 16 = 0.75

dude that’s maths in my book - just give me a bar/beats measure that matches the bpm and speed settings automatically and i’ll be happy

srsly - i’m gonna play around with that in a minute and see if i can get any results!

ok - after playing around a bit i get it - just use whole numbers or half numbers - can anyone tell me what beats/bar lpc 1.5 @ 130 bpm speed 6 is?

it sounds alrite but i cant work it out - even with a calculator

and zomg - i saw your post in the ‘what do the letters mean’ thread - you are blatently better with numbers than i am so when you say ‘it aint really math at all’ what you really mean is that - to you it aint math - trust me - i have srs trouble even adding up simple odd numbers in my head - 5+7 is a good one - i just count on my fingers - and dblue - you coded glitch for gods sake - same goes for taktic (not glitch - but he coded renoise innit) - and a lot of the regulars on this forum, what counts as maths for programmers and the like doesn’t translate for simple excel monkeys like me - i’m taking this to the ideas and suggestions area as it should really be addressed.

hex i can just about deal with - lpc is greek to me.

i cant be the only one with this disability?

BPM and speed really have nothing to do with anything here, and you’re probably just confusing the hell out of yourself if you try to figure something out from that. All you need to remember is: “In my song, how many lines are there in 1 beat?”

You should be able to answer that question immediately just by looking at your pattern… you recorded the notes afterall!

I’m assuming that you’re using a pretty typical 4/4 beat structure, and that your kick drum track might look something like this:

So, in this particular case…

• 1 beat = 4 lines

Or in other words…

• 1 line = 0.25 beats (1 beat divided by 4 lines)

Therefore…

• 1.5 LPC = 0.375 beats (1.5 multiplied by 0.25)

If you want to think of this in bars instead of beats…

• 1 bar = 16 lines
  • 1 line = 0.0625 bars
  • 1.5 LPC = 0.09375 bars

Now you tell me… thinking of the LFO settings in terms of 0.375 beats or 0.09375 bars… is that really less confusing?

From your other post:

It makes just as much sense as using a tracker to make music in the first place :)

Anyway… as I said before, I agree that some alternate methods of inputting LFO frequency cannot really hurt. If it would be possible to input lines, or beats, or bars, or whatever, then that’s totally fine by me. I just wanted to try and help you wrap your head around this problem… which is really not a problem at all… because it may seem confusing somehow, but it really isn’t… and when it clicks, I think you will probably slap yourself on the forehead and shout D’OH! :D