The Bitwig thread

Just bought a liscence.

2 Likes

hell yeah <3 congratz

When do you think we will see 3.3 beta? I would assume in 4 months from now.

Nothing can beat the Renoise mixer, at least from layout, IMO. At least on macos and Windows, Bitwig now is really good in saving CPU cycles for DSP calculation. I bet it is the same with the Linux version, once you found the right settings.

1 Like

Was there a change in audio engine in 3.2? I get less xruns, but maybe it just depends on the “Tagesform” of my PC.

I also made the observation that when using Jack with “Server Synchronous Mode” the xruns are completely gone. Especially for Linux Bitwig is a nobrainer… (just wondering about my own brain and why it took me so long to buy it). The drum synths are great and with the synths that come with Bitwig you even don’t need external VSTs in principal.

I’m missing a phase correlation meter and hope they will add one.

1 Like

I have no idea about any Linux issues, never used it. AFAIK the main changes of the audio engine were done in the 3.1 version of Bitwig. I barely have to higher the latency in any project (maybe except if I use VPS Avenger), even for same projects (I converted them) in Renoise, where I already had to set latency to 25 or even 40ms. So something in Bitwig seems to be more efficient. Also stuttering barely happens here.

Hmm… I need to make more experiences with it. I never had any single xrun in Renoise with DSP loads below 50%. In Bitwig sometimes I see spikes when using external VSTs, but this seems to depend on the Jack settings.

Reaper is completely over the top and beats Renoise and Bitwig by far.
I would say that Reaper is the best out of these three, at leat regarding the audio engine, BUT:

Bitwig and Renoise are much more fun and much more straight forward to use. I don’t have to open a midi editor and close it again (sometimes when doing this I hit other keys and windows pop up that have to be closed again). And the clip function in Bitwig is also a plus. BTW: Is it possible to make the clips smaller in Bitwig like in Renoise?

lilith Span by voxengo (free) has a phase correlation meter
i use that

i’m curious if for 4.0 they plan on finally introducing the collab features
cause that shit pops up in every feature request thread

Linux :wink:

1 Like

damn :frowning:

I actually hope that they won’t waste their time with such a stuff, and instead would provide an API to let third parties implementing that. Webstuff is a whole different world with a lot of time consuming traps. I would prefer that the Bitwig team finally implements tons of workflow stuff and learns from Renoise.

2 Likes

same !
i have a small list

1 - piano roll enhancement … add a bunch of nice features to enhance the piano roll like a chord mode , inversions …glide notes like fl etc
2 - a plugin grabber like renoise to render to sample vst’s and bitwig instruments

2 Likes

I also would love to see some “basic renoise like” replay keyboard-shortcuts like:

1. Play current line under position bar (without starting transport)

2. Stop notes/midi panic

3. Shift loop area to left/right, including playhead.

4. Increase / decrease loop area length by one bar or so

I really wonder why I seem to be the only person who misses these. Is it because pianoroll people barely used Renoise? I think these functions alone drastically improve composition time and imagination.

2 Likes

Hi, Someone of you know my english is not very great…
Ok, i will try it:
I have reason, renoise and reaper. I like reaper in some ways, but in the Most ways i dont.
Also i dont like Reason as a daw in the most ways. So sometimes i rewire reaper as a slave and renoise as the king to have a Piano Roll if i Need it and use on this way vst3 reason rack.

I like bitwig in just all ways and maybe this will be of course😉 my second daw .
But i have a question to the update plan:

You know, bitwig needs to much euros and Music is not my Business, its my sandbox to Play.

Is the update Plan worth it? What can i expect to the update plan? I know, its 12 months free updates, but how many updates is it? 0.2 – some bugfixes?

Hey @Land_of_Bits i know your Desktop you have all daws on this Planet, what are your experiences to the update plan?

So, now on a language, That i can handle:

Was kann ich vom Bitwig Update Plan erwarten, was für eine Garantie gibt es, welche Punkt Updates man bekommt?
Was also, wenn ich später nach einem Jahr ein neues Update für 12 Monate kaufe, es aber nichts passiert ein Jahr lang?
Ich weiß, ich weiß, man soll einfach für das bezahlen, was man grad jetzt kriegt, aber es interessiert mich einfach.

Du kaufst den Update-Plan, und musst ihn auch nicht gleich aktivieren. Sobald Du den Update-Code in der Backstage eingibst, gibt es ab Eingabe-Tag 12 Monate Updates, ohne irgendwelche Garantien. Es könnte also auch passieren, daß gerade noch eine Beta läuft, Dein Plan endet und Du die finale Version gar nicht mehr erhältst. Günstiger ist der Plan häufig jetzt um diese Zeit und um Weihnachten. Momentan ist das Bitwig Team ganz schön langsam, vermutlich auch wegen Corona. Letztes Jahr waren sie auch nicht so richtig schnell. Aber das ist völlig subjektiv, einen EQ zu designen, das dauert bestimmt. Auf KVR gibt es immer wieder günstigere Lizenz Verkäufe, Bitwig + 12 Monate usw. für 250 oder so. Bitwig ist auch ganz schön teuer.

2 Likes

i dont know what @ffx replied cause i dont know german

but the best update system is the one Fl has which is free forever 2nd is bitwig the 12 month period will probably transition you from a full major version lets say from 3 to 4 and other minor releases

my case i bought it in february 2019 with version 2.4.something and i got all the updates until 3.1.3
also never pay the full upgrade price since they run at least 2 sales a year
also when you purchase an upgrade plan they give you a code to activate which ““you can save”” it doesn’t mean you need to activate it in the same moment you can save your code and wait for the nice feature set you want to have and then count 12 month from that point

1 Like

I can translate for you :rofl:

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Thank you. Ffx said almost the same thing as you. I dont need to activate the update plan yet, ok that was importend…
I know, fl Studio have a lifetime free Update, but i dont like how fl Studio works. Its not mine