The More Cowbell Competition

We have a lot of cowbell topics the past period, but actually still not quite enough…
So to have more cowbell, download the “more cowbell” sample-pack and start tracking.

Rules:
-only Renoise internal effects,
-only the samplepack (no external recordings)
-You may process the samples in Renoise only (this includes saving seperately and importing as raw or bit-swapped, add freehand drawing etc.)
-Describe how you mocked up the samples.
-Kaneel should write a complete album if he attends.

7 days to compose, 3 days to vote

Composing week: Deadline is friday June 12th
Voting weekend: June 12th till June 14th.

Samplepack: http://tutorials.renoise.com/uploads/More_cowbell.zip

That is what I call a mice samplepack!
:dribble:

removing all other samples I have

so what are we supposed to do here, just create mo cowbells, or have a go at some kind of farmy composition??

bit late?

It’s never too late for more cowbell.
I’m on it!

Make sure to really explore the studio space

That’s up to you…
A caribbean Cowbell ensemble or whether you just make up a Sine looped festival (or invert to 8 bit noise) → all fine.
It’s actually to do what the book does not teach you to do with it.

hi there :)

is it allowed to set loops into the samples to generate new sounds ?
i also split the samples into 8 separate sounds. maybe that`s not the way you mean :)

greets

kasmo <-> oxyron/arsenic

Perhaps i should only have added just one sample…

Yes you may do anything with the samples as you please… as long as the processing is done inside Renoise no external tools for processing allowed. → If you do proces:write down each step in the song-info how you reached the end-result (so it can be reproduced for checking).

To give you an example how something can be done with one sample processed inside Renoise:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/1.5/uploads/U…space_docks.rns

Or you could even go one step further and do not use samples at all (this is also the Demosong Nivi btw):
http://www.renoise.com/songs/cntdl.php?si=…oader.php?id=44

In that, I’d like to ask; how the hell was Nivi done? I have no idea.

Also, what time does this contest close?

EDIT:My half-baked submission.

Really I’m only uploading this because nobody else seems to be entering, and it’s nearly over. :blink:

Closure… is 0:00 CET…
If you are the only one i guess you will be getting the most reviews and automatically become the More Cowbell Expert

well, i had only 6 hours for composing as i entered a bit too late :)
this means that this tune is unfinished.
hope someone like the result anyway. soundwise it could be much better, maybe i fix this later!

mp3
xrns

just added 2 loops to the samples and a lot of renoise internal effects.

@starryzafara : i`m allways fascinated about the different things people do with samplepacks :) like yours!

greets
Kasmo <-> Oxyron/Arsenic

Who can resist playing with cowbells??! :blink:

For whom the cowbell tolls
Download: mp3 - xrns

There’s a rendered selection playing reversed.

Don’t forget your Xrns entry…

tadaaa !

http://rapidshare.com/files/243877288/2_ho…l_comp.rar.html

last minute entry, i started a 9 pm this evening (CET) :yeah:

i must say i enjoyed myself

Wow… and only in an amazingly low 92 pattern sized song :P

I hoped for more entries…
But so be it…

Who may win the title More Cowbell Master?

Ah, sorry.

XRNS

Song

I vote…

More Cowbell Master: Kasmo

+1
Very smoothly mixed and a rich variation of different textures and showing surprising simple use of the cowbell samples to get other sounds (some use the internal instrument envelopes, you perform with pattern effects).
The only con is that the song size does not lasts 6 hours.

OTher entries:
Cheap thrills: I can imagine you enjoyed making this, what kind of energy drink sponsored you to get this realised in two hours? The sound of this tune reminds back to the days of Rockmonitor and Digieditor on the C64 (LoFi all the way)
Rythmic this piece is very great in the largest part of the song later on. You could have made the song-file smaller by removing unused instruments.

Garf:
Exotic piece with some mysterious elements, overal mixing sounds great. You didn’t go too much overboard when it comes to shaping the samples to other sounds.

starryzafara:
No sound stayed intact, very atmospheric and ofcourse short as you said… Would you care to explain how you modified some of the samples?
I have an idea that the “New sample ##” instruments were not entirely processed inside Renoise… :)

i will post my voting tomorrow as i have no time at the moment :)