The top 3 v3.1 features you're hoping for!

PIANO ROLL and start/stop sampler features.

I’m currently working on refreshing my music theory and counterpoint skills and the current format makes this a bit difficult. I basically want to be able to write without directly playing the keyboard so I don’t revert to “what I know”. I could go get Ableton or any of the other DAWS, but I really don’t want to.

To users looking for the piano roll, I think you should be aware that it doesn’t seem likely to happen. Having a piano roll is by a country mile the longest outstanding user request that (I don’t think) the dev’s have ever even bothered to directly address to the userbase. Which, for the record I feel is inconsiderate to a fairly dedicated userbase that has been loyal to renoise.

Then again, I’ve not stopped by the forum for a very long time so maybe the dev’s have come up with an official suggestion or workaround to people that find the lack of that functionality challenging. I know there is rewire and I’m going to try to figure out how to use it as my little Christmas break project.

Good to see that my first post in a few years is a rant about lack of updates regarding piano roll. So I’m picking up right where I left off! =)

Anyways… multiple takes and punch-in recording with a piano roll view would be my #1 request.

1. Importing midi files.

(…)
3. A dry/wet knob for all vst fx

This

Midi drag’n’drop is a given, but it’s quite a “minor” feature technically so mentioning it doesn’t count :slight_smile:

And this

(…)

1. Loop Point Modulation made easy

(…)

And this

1. moar hours in the day mode

2. no moar shit job mode

3. dog for girlfriend

And a girlfriend for the dog too :slight_smile:

@piano roll enthusiasts. Maybe a graphical image of the note length would be sufficient…

@piano roll enthusiasts. Maybe a graphical image of the note length would be sufficient…

No, bcause it still wouldnt give you a graphical representation of what note it is.

@fladd you can colour it and write the note name no it.

@toblerpone, yes, but that will not give you the same amount of visual feedback that a piano roll would give you. A piano roll gives you a spatial separation of notes in a predefined order. A tracker does not. A 500-millisecond-glimpse of a midi item in a piano roll will give you a pretty good idea of what the melody is. To infer the melody of some pattern data in a tracker, it takes much longer.

Each to their own I guess, I always use piano rolls in an Only Show Used note Rows mode with colouring by pitch.

@toblerpone, yes, but that will not give you the same amount of visual feedback that a piano roll would give you. A piano roll gives you a spatial separation of notes in a predefined order. A tracker does not. A 500-millisecond-glimpse of a midi item in a piano roll will give you a pretty good idea of what the melody is. To infer the melody of some pattern data in a tracker, it takes much longer.

So why even bother with trackers to begin with??? BTW Happy New Year!!!

So why even bother with trackers to begin with??? BTW Happy New Year!!!

If a single weak point would make everyone not bother, then no one would use anything…

Trackers are great for other things, but just not for everything. I dont really see the problem with acknowledging this…

Oh, and happy new year to you, too!

Tracker = Car

Pianoroll = Boat

Tracker + Pianoroll = Hovercraft

Dear Fr Christmas…

tracker + pianoroll =http://36.media.tumblr.com/06bb16d3524b56e8bfb9ddf63a6f0e45/tumblr_nsz1eedB8F1rwqfv9o1_1280.jpg

tracker + pianoroll =http://36.media.tumblr.com/06bb16d3524b56e8bfb9ddf63a6f0e45/tumblr_nsz1eedB8F1rwqfv9o1_1280.jpg

Haha! thats the worst looking hovercraft Ive ever seen.

I think taktik could do a lot better!

(though admittedly that meme may be a bit lost on me :slight_smile: )

If a single weak point would make everyone not bother, then no one would use anything…

Trackers are great for other things, but just not for everything. I dont really see the problem with acknowledging this…

Oh, and happy new year to you, too!

So you saying Renoise should be more like cubase?

I’m sorry I just don’t see how it is realistic to have a piano roll in a tracker environment. How would you piano roll all the commands too? I don’t understand, and to be honest I’m not sure how comfortable I would be if I did…

So you saying Renoise should be more like cubase?

No, I did not say that. Not at all. Where did you get that from? I didn’t even mentioned Cubase… confused

I’m sorry I just don’t see how it is realistic to have a piano roll in a tracker environment. How would you piano roll all the commands too? I don’t understand, and to be honest I’m not sure how comfortable I would be if I did…

Have a look at Jeskola Buzz for an example. And why would you have pattern commands in a piano roll? I think you are confusing some things here. That whole point of a piano roll is that it offers something different to the tracker interface.

How would you piano roll all the commands too?

that’s simple http://imgur.com/n6luvSD

That whole point of a piano roll is that it offers something different to the tracker interface.

I see it from the point of view that there are plenty of musicians who have never used a tracker style interface … ever. They aren’t accustomed to it for various reasons. Why not add a piano roll interface and extend Renoise further into the DAW market by appealing to them? For those of us who are “hexed” (or simply hard core tracker users), we can ignore it’s there and continue blissfully along punching keys … :slight_smile:

MOAR MACROS!! GIVE ME MOAR MACROS :badteeth: just 8 is about nothing for deep synth (instrument) creation and, !important!, tuning them on the fly (((

p.s.

If we’ll have multichannel/multiinstrument midi output available for instruments then it’s possible to use fl studio vsti for just pianoroll :dribble: . For now in 3.1 we can use one fl piano roll for one renoise instrument witch is not very handy… Lots of instances of fl vst = huge cpu hit. Or use fl via rewire with some virtual midi cable for multiple (15) instruments, but it is not very precise and ignoring render to song. Either to sample.

moar macros, moar doofer knobs and drag_n_drop of the knobs! (half size knobs / two rows?)

Why has no one mentioned Warp Markers? Real-time time-stretching?

-Option to lock instruments to auto-assigned tracks would be handy.