Time Signature Help

I haven’t really gotten to grips with time sigs in Renoise yet so I thought it would be really helpful if someone made a kind of chart for common time sigs which included LPB and pattern length for one bar of a set time signature. Is anyone who knows a bit more willing to help? I think it might help me understand them a bit better as I tend to learn from example.

Cheers

I made an example xrns for you to download which contains some instructions.

It uses the sample editors snap function to orient yourself with "beats, “8th” notes, “16th” notes, and so on.

There’s also a LPB tutorial in the Renoise library directory in the songs folder.

Also, here’s an old thread discussing 7/4, contains some examples as well.

I forgot to mention in the example xrns, make sure “Beats” is selected in the Sample Editor View as opposed to “09 Effect”, “Samples”, “Minutes”.

very simple my friend,it all depends on ur lpb(lines per beat).if ur lpb is 16 this means every 16 lines is a beat,so with a lpb of 16 and a pattern length of 32 this would be 2/4 pattern length of 64 with lpb 16 is 4/4 5/4 is 80 e.t.c If u use a different lpb the EXACT same rule applies eg 12 lpb with a pattern length of 60 is 5/4 because 12lpb x 5 equals 60 (pattern length)

the problem with this method is the resolution,if u want a high resolution for more technical beatwork i recomend setting ur lpb to 24,if u mention what genre you intend to work in i can help out more.If you just change the highlighted line setting ul find that the bigger and more complex signatures you work in the lower your resolution will get,my method does not have this setback,it allows for more complex edits

Anybody up for starting a master thread on Renoise’s LPB, it’s such an open system that it may confuse new users.

Start with the defining the basics and then move on to polymeter, polyrythm and other time based methods that I may have missed.

There is threads here on both polymeter and polyrythms

I make jungle/breakcore type things so I want quite a high amount of control, having said that I have had good results with just 4 LPB. The only reason I haven’t increased that size is because it throws me off and I get confused, I’m new to this whole programming music thing. I will try out your suggestions in the morning when I haven’t been drinking cider and watching mafia films :yeah:

As for a master class on LPB, I’m all for it. Get that experience out there people. Teach us young bloods ;)

Thanks for all the replies, keep 'em coming. You can never have too much information, unless it’s about your sisters sex life.

Great,ive been making jungle/breakcore for a few years now,set ur lpb to 24 set highlight every xlines to 12 and the bpm should be at 180 and above i prefer 200 and upwards.once you have done this every 24 lines in a pattern is equal to one beat so two beats is 48 and so on. 8/8 is 192 lines 7/8 is 168 6/8 is 144 5/8 is 120 4/8 is 96 3/8 is 72 2/8 is 48.if u want 9/8 what do u do???thats right add 24 to 192.Do you understand?

I do, thank you very much.

if people really understood what meter is there would never be a problem. (=

100 centimetres innit?

ye, i guess “what meter is” is correct english…

HAPPY NAO??? :<<< bawls into plastic coffee mug

i aint a robot and i aint a trained musician,and the delay column doesnt even come close to giving enough resolution.

i think a lpb thread of some sort for beginners is a great idea…i honestly don’t think its that hard as i guess its just a matter of multiplication…still can be confusing though for beginners.

I’m a new Renoise user. This seems to be unconventional, but I just change the length of the pattern to change the number of beats per pattern, and keep the LPB as 12 or 16. It still works fine for my music.

edit: sorry, misread your post.

would it be a good idea to add a lil dropdown box so the user can choose between inputting lines or beats in the top left of a pattern?

Thats basically what i just said?12,16,8,24,32 no matter what lpb the method stays the same.I was just pointing out that the higher the lpb the higher the resolution.

I dont know what your talking about here can you explain how this works?

In regards to a LPB thread, why not make it fun and participatory ?

Something along the lines of make or process sounds but no sequencing for a week (using LPB), then sequencing the next. I guess it could be set up where each participant shares an xrns with their chosen sounds or something.

Organizing what to teach technically in each session I guess is a little foggy. Its just an idea at the moment.