[Solved] Tracking In 7/4 In Renoise 2.0

They really changed alot with the new renoise, I don’t know why. I see that they replaced the speed feature with “lines per beat” I remember I used to track in 7/4 by highlighting every 12 lines and speed 2 I think. How do I do this in the new version? how many lines per beat? This is probably a dum,b question but I’d love to get back to tracking this fast.

here it is an example

That’s actually 6/7.

Here’s 7/4 for you.

I know, I know…

Set patternlength to “70” or “E0” with LPB 4 or 8 and you’re good to go!

6/7?! well, you can tell me anything, but how come a 7 lines per beat song can be labeled as 6/x?!

Lines per beat makes no difference to any overall signature, just makes it easier or harder to do tuplets of different divisions.

I know, but the pattern I have made has 7 lines per each beat; I’m not talking about song LPB, which is 4 indeed: I’m saying that each drum loop is composed of 7 pattern lines, so how could it be a 6/x measure?

set lpb to 8 and pattern length to 56
Or lbp to 4 pattern length 28 ( gives you less resoltuion )
Or lpb to 7 …pattern length 56
Different ways of achieving this , I almost work with lpb 8 regardless the time signature …Say I want a 5/8 measure …lpb = 8 , there are five beats in bar , so 5 times 8 = pattern length 40 , in combination with the delay track you can do every possible time signature with a fixed lpb

OK.

Just downloaded your sample and I agree that it’s 7/4. You mean each pattern is seven beats long (7x LPB basically.) It would be seven lines per beat if you were to fit 4/4 into the pattern length (and then work with heptuplets.) Could sound interesting…

It’s not because you have 7 lines per beat that you have a 7/4 measure , you got to have 7 beats per bar or per measure ( same thing .)
Measure = a whole pattern length …
WHen you have 7 lines per beat an the pattern is 56 or 28 lines long , you’re still working in a 4 or 8 measure .
Example pink floyd money bassline ( which is in 7/4 ) achieved with different kind of lpb settings

http://easy-upload.nl/f/ApgQs38D
money …7/4

which leaves my question unanswered: how could my pattern be a 6/7, given that “6/7” means anything at all, by the way?

I agree it aliens is 7/4 but 56/128 pattern length makes far more sense .

Okay, it wasn’t 6/7. It wasn’t really anything. LPB was 4, indicating four lines per beat. But you had arranged the notes to make beats every seven lines. So how long is one beat then? If that song would be synced to anything, Renoise would send a beat every four lines. That would be totally off from seven line beats.

There is six beats in one pattern. So that would be 6/x signature. The x part is pretty difficult. Assuming one pattern is one measure, your example would have 6/4 signature, with septuplets, because one beat divides into seven lines. But I cannot make that assumption, because LPB was 4. That means seven-line beats using LPB4 makes one beat in song 7/4 quarter notes. So your song was like 6/(7/4) signature. Or something, I’m not really getting it myself.

But, if one beat would be four lines, one pattern would have 10.5 beats. How would you work with that? Two of them would be 21 beats, so LPB4 would produce something like 21/4 in two patterns. But that does not make any sense, no matter how you wrap your head around it.

In my example 28 lines with LPB4 makes one pattern to contain 28/4 beats. That equals seven. So seven beats per pattern. In computer music y/x signatures x part is somehow irrelevant technically speaking, because software and hardware I’m aware of syncs to beats, not measures. Someone could elaborate if that’s not correct. I’m not that familiar with things like World Clock and MIDI Time Code.

Speaking of Renoise it does really not matter, because Renoise uses solely beats in syncing with external nodes. And all software I’m aware of uses quarter note as length of beat. So LPB determines the length of quarter note in lines. That means LPB times y makes y/4 signature. Actual LPB setting determines how one beat is divided.

I wrote a long text about this some time ago. Dunno if it’s comprehensible. I can post it into Tips & Tricks, if you wanna work it out?

No he hasn’t. Look at track2, every full strength hat is on the beat, every four lines.

Track1 and most the kicks are on the 8 lines with some polyrhythm bits on the 7 but at half volume.

Confused! So is the example we’re talking about. 1C.h = 28. 10.h = 16 + 0C.h = 12. 16+12=28

Just try closing your eyes and counting. It’s very clearly 7 beats per measure.

Okay. Tell me, if every full strength hihat is on beat, how can there be 12 beats in 7/4 song? Count them.

No it’s not. It’s clearly 6/4, and has false LPB, thus making BPM totally wrong and possibility to sync to other gear totally difficult.

thanks kamaleontti for the explanation. now I get what you meant with the 6. Actually, I made the example XRNS pretty in an hurry (it was 5 o’ clock in the morning as I woke up suddenly 30 minutes before after dreaming about my sudden death, and I really felt like I was dying :blink:) so I didn’t take care of how many beats there were in the pattern, but you are of course right that it is not usual to have 6 of them in a pattern, at least in standard music.

I usually make such kind of structures actually, expecially with patterns made of 5 beats of 5/8th, and they sound intriguing to me.

I learnt composition by myself using trackers so I’m not the best person to speak about standard measures, I hope I didn’t confuse the user Labs more than helping him out, but I just wanted to rapidly show him how a 7/x beat can be easily written on Renoise 2.x.

You are clearly mental!

Look at pattern 1 track 2.

Count how many notes there are without the 40 next to it (half volume.)

Wow that’s 7. The amount of beats there is per measure.

Try and count so you count to the end of a pattern. Can you find any number where it feels comfortable and fits other than 7? I can’t!

Here’s the original pattern

Can you see where the heavier beats lie?

All beats not at full strength removed to emphasise the main beat. Notice how it’s nearly all on the fours.

Don’t get me wrong, the number of beats can be anything. 6/8 and such are really very common. It’s just that you have to set it up correctly in Renoise, otherwise some problems will occur. LPB is not there for just controlling playing speed.

Also it’s okay to use any kind of tuplet. In this particular case your example was a bit of a miss because it had not seven beats. Nothing wrong with it otherwise.

Someone should really write an article about this. If I have the time I will clarify mine a bit and put it online, currently it’s probably too mathematical for most of the people. Unfortunately math and measures go hand in hand, but maybe a relation between a beat in computer music and notational terms would need some more explanation.

No voi vitun keharit.

Count ALL the hits. There are 12 of them in a pattern.

Of course you can take a screenshot and cut it so that there is only seven of them visible. I’m not really sure who is mental here, me or you.

What does that matter? Not all the HITS are falling on a BEAT. You could write something in 4/4 time with any number of hits per measure you wanted. You can add and drop hits all over the place without changing the basic time signature. There’s 16 hi-hat hits. So does that mean the hi hat part is in 4/4 (16/16) time to you? Even though many of them are played softly and all the heavy ones are even spaced there are 7 per measure?

There is also only either kick drum hits so that much be in 4/4 as well, yeah? :blink:

Funny thing is you can’t even count. There are 14 hits in track 1 of pattern 0, not 12, so even going by your skewed logic that would hint at 7/4.