Tools for drawing single cycle waves

Don’t think there are any restrictions to the trial version apart from “please buy it if you like it”. I just tried it out and it’s not really usable as a mere waveform editor since it seems you can’t export anything. It’s basically just a very weird (albeit very interesting) synthesizer…

Well, you could use any synth for waveform generation by using “Render to Sample” function in the instrument. It is clunky, compared to CWG, but it is the next best option.

I remember abusing demo version of Massive this way (it allows to run for half an hour for free) for quite some time before getting a license for it.

Yes, but unfortunately this only works with plugin instruments and not with standalone software that is somehow routed back into renoise.

I think you are making your own life complicated-- there are tons of free VST synths that would do the job of recording a simple waveform just fine.

You also can always use sample record facility to record pretty much anything that you hear from your speakers.

I don’t work with waveforms a lot myself, I just thought a waveform generator/drawing helper would be a nice-to-have (native) feature in
renoise (like e.g. Milkytracker has it) to get things going quickly. Of course I can still use Audacity to create Waveform samples and just import them into renoise.

Being able to capture instruments from LineIn return would be great for other reasons, especially on Linux.

I have recently opended a thread on this topic specifically. Of course I could record everything seperately with “record sample”, but when resampling a synth like Yoshimi/ZynSubAddFx, that is not available as a plugin, this is not really a viable option.

I don’t like VST synths, especially not now with the powerful new instrument features. I’ve been working on designing instruments the past few days and i realize i can get away with the hand draw tool for now. Here are some of the instruments i created if you’re interested: [3.0] [XRNI] RetroNoise

Excellent examples, keep at it.

For some reason i’ve found when making longer samples i end up with a somewhat less crisp or what i should call it, but i don’t really know what i’m doing most of the time, i just do it untill i think it sounds allright. :P
Thanks for the tips though, i’ll dig a bit deeper into that. Usually the small pitch changes doesn’t bother me much, but i’ll definately have a lot to learn in this area.
I have no idea how i bind the soften key to a macro (outside of renoise) that would repeat over and over again. You can even keep softening while your drawing, slowly shaping your wave into what you want though. :huh:

ive wondered about this before, by looking at akwf’s page he set his cycles to 600 samples as that is 44100/fD2===44100/73.4162=~600…therefore if you want a single cycle @ C4…44100/261.626=~168.6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rl4YhVYR10M3ZjYm1OTFRheEk/edit?usp=sharing

Ive put together a Puredata patch for drawing single cycle waveforms…it calculates how many samples per cycle you need and changes the internal size of the array that is used for drawing…you select sample rate (96000 or 44100) , note and octave. You can then save it too a 16bit 44100 wav file for importing into renoise. Instructions are within the patch…Dont know if you use PD or not, even if not, using this patch is simple.

Edit: Ive just updated the patch so you can use it just as a calculator if you want to do your drawing in renoise.

You can draw samples in OpenMPT.

You also have a draw-mode in the sampler of Renoise.
The line drawing option though, is not present in Renoise.

and zooming in on renoise’s sample is very handy, can get some quite detailed drawing done.

I use Curve2cm, best tool for painting waves (that sounds better than almost all of raw wavs) and making further modulation. Then render it and create xrni instrument :slight_smile:

If renoise will get simple wave generator, better modulation of parameters, i wont need it :-).

I have no idea how to use puredata, but i really need to find out how many samples i should use for different tones. Can you perhaps tell me the formula how to calculate this at 44100Hz sample rate and bit depth 16?
I use this page for reference and it shows both hertz value and wavelenght in cm: Frequencies of Musical Notes, A4 = 440 Hz
I imagine the cm value would be perfect to calculate this, but i’m not shure how it relates. How many mm is one sample?

Edit: Doh, stupid me! You already posted the formula here:

Thanks! Didn’t think it was that easy.

Hmm let’s see, how do i convert this into cm? Oh, well, doesn’t really need that. :P

Back to my project that now has escalated to the idea of drawing 480 different single cycle samples in one instrument. Damn, what a bad idea. :lol:

Audio-Term is a free program that some single cycle users might be interested in. Is kind of intended to be used to generate wavetables, but each cycle can be saved individually. So, you can easily make an evolving set of single cycles to use in your renoise or any .wav reading instruments.

Anyway, it has additive waveform building and some obscure (to me)transformation functions, blurring, filters, stuff and a wavedrawer.

Called term for a reason and looks and acts like some old, ancient 80s program all green monochrome and fairlight evocative. But is not old, latest update had files from Dec. 2013 in it. Only hard to use in the sense that it ignores any modern user interface conventions.

That looks great!

You got a latest link? Google doesn’t give me good results, not an official site for it afaik?

Hmm, yeah. He hangs around KVR a lot and usually puts up links in his sig now. Check this thread at KVR and look for a guy named blacktomcat. Maybe it’s not exactly what some people are looking for, but I think it might work well as an axillary tool for some.

Thanks, dl’d it from his sig.