Trigger Video Files Like Samples In Renoise?

This idea has been in the air for quite a while, to make a video tracker which handles video files just as it does audio.
I wonder if the dev team entertains such idea, at least for the future.
I think this could really break new grounds and set Renoise apart as a truly pioneering DAW.

I bet there’s some genius who can connect renoise to max/jitter to trigier video clips.

If you search the forums you will find several topics suggesting this and some of these topics link to a topic where one of the Devs gives his 5 cents for the idea.
I’m not going to link but suggest you try the search feature.
In short this was the answer:
There are free VST solutions out there that work fine. Use those or another solution (ReWire, PureData linked OSC scripting or similar).
Renoise is for music production, not video mixing.

AGREED.

A related question is still a really good one though: what video editors are really awesome, usable, maybe partly keyboard controllable like Renoise is?
I’ve tried launching all them linux apps on AVLinux distro but ehh yeah,… no. It’s not really there yet imho. LIVEs? I have no idea where I’m gonna click to make it start outputting video at any rate, and there’s only 2 buttons. Used kdenlive for some very easy things and might work, would it not crash at random. For the plastic bakje video I used Openshot and well it works well for creating these simple youtube vids but it’s far from “user friendly”.
So does anyone here do video production and if so what’s your app(s)?

Check this 10 best article… however I didn’t find the word “linux”.

http://www.thepixelart.com/best-software-for-visual-performance-artist/

I think the official term is VJ software to differentiate it from formal/film editing software such as Final Cut. Strong point being able to manipulate things in real time as opposed to render based.

What makes you think he means VJing? Renoise is keyboard controllable but is designed for producing music more than playing live. What’s wrong with hoping for the same with video editing software?

Maybe cas can clarify… LiVES is aimed around VJing, and the only one I’ve even tinkered with a little (as it is light enough on the CPU to load on an eeepc, even if the screen doesn’t have high enough resolution to display the whole program.) I did do some reading back then and can maybe pull out some article and websites if I try again, although I was specifically looking for VJing and not video editing. Not sure if many will really go into how keyboard friendly and configurable they are…

I assume you know this site? Although graphics orientated it does cover video stuff as well (and a small amount of audio.) http://libregraphicsworld.org

I didn’t know what he meant. Nothing is wrong with hoping for the same with video editing software. If in that case, Final Cut for example should suffice. I don’t know others that are keyboard friendly. I’ve seen editing suits where the editor has color mapped his keyboard for Final Cut but that was years ago. I don’t know what changes were made since then.

No, I don’t know that site.

I don’t know for certain, as he does mention KDenLive I think more likely actual editing. LiVES does bits of both from what I understand… (Not sure you could really say either amazing well but I didn’t get deep enough into it and it is developed by a single person and has support for a variety of plugins so expandability might be good but isn’t an area I investigated.) Shame there’s not something like Resolume for Linux!

Afraid I think you’ll find the desire here is for native Linux software… But he does ask the question very openly so don’t let me suspicions stop people from making good recommendations outside of this.

Hope you find it interesting/helpful. Mainly I was aiming it as Cas as a site on FOSS/Linux graphical and video software based articles. Maybe still something to appeal to you though.

Just come across Flowblade, one I’ve not heard of before. Might be worth checking at least…

http://code.google.com/p/flowblade/

I do. I don’t currently have a news site for graphics, so thanks for the link.

Cinelerra seems to have fairly extensive keyboard shortcuts.

[details=“Click to view contents”] 24 Keyboard shortcuts
Alex Ferrer started summarizing most of the keyboard shortcuts. Most of the keys work without
any modifier like SHIFT or CTRL. Most windows can be closed with a CTRL-w. Most operations
can be cancelled with ESC and accepted with RET.
24.1 Program window shortcuts
24.1.1 Editing Media shortcuts
z Undo
SHIFT Z Re-Do
x Cut
c Copy
v Paste
Del Clear
SHIFT Space Paste Silence
m Mute region
a Select all
SHIFT + click When done over an edit causes the highlighted selection to extend to the
cursor position. When done over the boundary of an effect causes the trim
operation to apply to one effect.
e Toggle between Drag-and-Drop and Cut-and-Paste editing modes
24.1.2 Editing Labels and In/Out Points shortcuts
[ Toggle In point
] Toggle Out point
l Toggle label at current position
CTRL CTRL -> Go to Next Label
24.1.3 Navigation shortcuts
Right arrow Move the timeline right (not the insertion point) *
Left arrow Move the timeline left (not the insertion point) *
Up arrow Zoom time out *
Down arrow Zoom time in *
CTRL Up Expand current curve amplitude
CTRL Dn Shrink current curve amplitude
CTRL Alt Up Expand all curve amplitude
Ctrl Alt Dn Shrink all curve amplitude
Alt Up Expand curve amplitude
Alt Dn Shrink curve amplitude
f Fit time displayed to selection
Alt f Make the range of all the automation types. Fit the maximum and minimum
range of the current highlighted selection
Ctrl Alt f Make the range of the currently selected automation type fit the maximum
and minimum range of the current highlighted selection
Alt Left Move the insertion point left one edit
Alt Right Move the insertion point right one edit
Page Up Move the timeline up *
Page Dn Move the timeline down *
Ctrl Page Up Expand track height
190 Chapter 24: Keyboard shortcuts
Ctrl Page Dn Shrink track height
Home Move insertion point to beginning of timeline *
End Move insertion point to end of timeline *

• You may have to click on the timeline to deactivate any text boxes or tumblers before these
    work.
    24.1.4 File operations shortcuts
    n New project
    o Load Files
    s Save Project
    r Record
    SHIFT R Render
    q Quit
    SHIFT P Preferences
    SHIFT B Batch Render
    SHIFT F Set Format
    24.1.5 Key frame editing shortcuts
    SHIFT X Cut keyframes
    SHIFT C Copy keyframes
    SHIFT V Paste keyframes
    SHIFT Del Clear keyframes
    Alt c Copy default keyframe
    Alt v Paste default keyframe
    24.1.6 Track Manipulation shortcuts
    t Add Audio Track
    u Insert default Audio Transition
    SHIFT T Add Video Track
    SHIFT U Insert Default Video Transition
    d Delete last Track
    SHIFT L Loop playback
    TAB Toggle single track arming status
    SHIFT-TAB Toggle every other track’s arming status
    24.1.7 What is drawn on the timeline shortcuts
    1 Show titles
    2 Show transitions
    3 Fade keyframes
    4 Mute keyframes
    5 Mode keyframes
    6 Pan keyframes
    7 Camera keyframes
    8 Projector keyframes
    9 Plugin keyframes
    0 Mask keyframes
  • Camera Zoom
    = Projector Zoom
    Chapter 24: Keyboard shortcuts 191
    24.2 Viewer and compositor windows shortcuts
    x Cut
    c Copy
    v Paste
    v Splice
    b Overwrite
    [ Toggle In point
    ] Toggle Out point
    l Toggle label at current position
    Ctrl Ctrl -> Go to Next Label
    Home Go to beginning
    End Go to end
    z Undo
    SHIFT Z Re-Do
  • Zoom in
  • Zoom out
    24.3 Playback transport shortcuts
    Transport controls work in any window which has a playback transport. They are accessed
    through the number pad with num lock disabled.
    4 Frame back 5 Reverse Slow 6 Reverse + Reverse Fast
    1 Frame
    Forward
    2 Forward Slow 3 Play Enter Fast Forward
    0 Stop
    SPACE is normal Play, Hitting any key twice is Pause.
    Hitting any transport control with CTRL down causes only the region between the in/out
    points to be played, if in/out points are defined.
    24.4 Record window shortcuts
    Space Start and pause recording of the current batch
    l Toggle label at current position [/details]

http://cinelerra.org

As I believe does Lightworks and they have announced a Linux Beta for this quarter, although no exact date announced yet.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=36286&Itemid=81#36286

Although they have a paid version as well as the free one…

A friend just sent me this link, he’s almost always on the look out for these kinds of things… so kudos to him.

There’s some YouTube examples in the site as well.

http://warmplace.ru/soft/pixivisor/

By the creators of SunVox???

Yeah, Nightradio posted a recent link himself…

Thanks. Missed a lot of posts as just got back from two weeks holiday in Morocco :) Bit of summer sun was definitely needed! Back to it snowing in London the last couple of days though (but there doesn’t look like there’s any chance it will settle this time…)

I love OP’s idea, i’ve thought about it many times how cool it would be to edit video in Renoise.
My vision is a new track between the master and send tracks, a track called ‘video track’ or something where you could put video clips and pictures in it instead of audio. There could be a ‘show video pane’ which gives a preview window where the spectrum/scopes pane is.
A video editor just like the sample editor would be awesome. It doesn’t necessary need that many features, cut, paste, speed(keynote), transparency, x y axis and size would be sufficient for making lots of cool stuff. X Y axis, size and transparency should be automatable and a Text tool would kick ass.

It would open up for a whole new target group and probably attract thousands of newcomers to Renoise. Maybe an alternative would be to make an entirely new video tracker and call it Revid or something, and make it compatible with Renoise/.xrns. I’d definately buy a license for both.
So get to work devs! :badteethslayer:

I saw this thread pop up to the top again and saw some replies here that indicated ppl still didn’t quite understand the request. I have to be honest it was a complete moonshot - not something i fully expect to ever be implemented and frankly way down on the priority list but I thought for what it’s worth I would share back when I originally thought of this. It’s cool Bellows was able to follow the request but I doubt seriously anything like this would be implemented - just an idea to inspire. As a musician and video person i do dream of a tool like this, renoise is the closest thing to it at the moment :)/>

I use NLEs in fact was a demo artist for Discreet Autodesk Smoke, Flame as well as Final Cut Pro for a number of years. I can edit video quickly w/ qb shortcuts and I’m not asking for an NLE or a keyboard with shortcuts painted on it. --???

What I was requesting is quite simply SSIA - allow renoise to use Quicktime videos in addition to mp3/wav/aiffs. Of course it would require a video window and that renoise hire a programmer who is well acquainted with quicktime wrappers etc.

Anyway if anybody ever codes something like this up or discovers a tool like this please let me know… I think I might have better luck contacting the sunvox guy as he seems to be interested in this sort of thing too although what was posted here is not quite what I was originally talking about…

I share the same hope, to see one day a tracker like renoise opening video files and being able to use their sounds AND also display videos : what would be the beginning of a new era of “granular video edition mode” ; it would be the start of some “breakcored videos tracks”).

(well the concept would be something a bit “like that” but that truely works, that doesn’t crash under your pc, and that is fully integrated in the renoise workflow)

In fact it could be a kind of “video sampler”, that would be able to play (like the actual sampler does), faster or slower videos sounds. Playing faster or slower video sounds could allow the users to create music ; but if there’s a video with the sample, you could also “see” this video source perfectly synced to the sample playback (example : the video could be displayed in one of the master scopes view.

If the sample is played higher the video is played faster if the sample is played lower the video is played slowly.

At the beginning there would only be 1 video sample at a time, and for example, since the video has to be kept in the memory, the videos sample size and video width would naturally be “limited” by the amount of available memory.

I think that this kind of feature would require from the devteam to create a simple video player that is able to behave exactly like the renoise sample playback routine, so that you can apply on the video exactly some special “pattern commands” ; and there would be “video meta devices”, that let the music control some limited sets of typical video filters effects.

And when you render the song, if there are samples with video info in it, renoise renders a video (avi) file, instead of a wav file.

But, Renoise is focused on sound, and not video, the devs have big things to code for now : audio-tracks (or whatever similar), pattern zoom, some new spectral dsps,…

Franckly, I don’t expect anything like that before … Renoise 6.8.2

we can dream my friend, we can dream. but it would be great for audio/video syncopation.