V1.5 Irritations

Hugging… :rolleyes:

hug, hug, hug :rolleyes:

:hug:

Our power is unity :D

awww you guys! :D

Eternal -

I don’t have a website, so I wonder where I could upload a song ? :P But I’d like to contribute things to the compo or whatever…ect

VSTi vs. Samples -

Some VSTi are pretty good. I’m thinking about saving some of the instruments from Sytrus in .RNI format by rendering notes to an instrument bank using the C#4 note.

TakTik-
Great work. We love Renoise, don’t let the stress get to you, just keep developing!!! Renoise is the dopest sh!t ever.

Well, i don’t find you an asshole and there are situations where i get a bit stressed because things don’t work out for me…
But Renoise is not the air that keeps me alive so i can put it aside and amuse myself in many other different ways that come around on this globe.

It would have been pretty different if i would have spent $450,- bucks on it.
Yet still, if a plugin won’t run, i would first run to the plugin designer to complain there.

As for the finishing touch:
There are many people that were waiting for 1.5 to get going and i don’t see any solid reason to keep them waiting because some VST plugins don’t work (properly or neatly).

And to be frankly honest:Renoise without VSTI’s runs rocksolid. Being able to use VSTI’s is imho a feature but not a guarantee. If you want this to become a guarantee that such elements should work alright with any host then i can only advise you to subpoem Steinberg Musiclabs for inventing such a crap architecture because the most compatability problems around VST(i) plugins come forth from the overlooked collision areas and crap features within the architecture that allows VST(i) designers too much freedom to do what they want (even acquiring hardware beyond the host).
I mean the VST(I)'s all look very classy and shiny and have design skins but the purpose of the VST(i) should actually be the effect or sound it supposed to create.
Some plugin-designers involve too many tricks in their material that really have nothing to do with sound-processing, generation or shaping.
It’s about to get time, plug-designers should reconsider a sober but effective and efficient GUI for their parameters without the fancy stuff.
Merely because:A VST plugin is a small application of itself so if you use a wide range of eg. 30 VST(i) plugins, you are actually opening 30 applications.

Would you usually open 30 applications at the same time let alone also use them at the same time? And if they all use their fancy mumbo-jumbo none-core functionality could you guess the resources that will be eaten because of all of that?
It is for sure hell of a benchmark-test to let Renoise run with such an amount of plugs.
This is just what makes the whole deal CPU intensive and sluggish.
I really wonder sometimes how the whole bunch can keep running without causing the whole platform to haste to the BSOD flee-corner.
(Wow, could that be a reason why most other hosts do crash at that point?)

And so Renoise doesn’t seem to like some VSTI’s or is it just that some VSTI’s don’t like Renoise? Hey some plugins don’t even like eachother! (This last thing is something that can’t be fixed in any other host as well)
Why seriously care so desperate? “But i paid twenty times the price of Renoise for this VST plug!” Well, try to complain to the plugin designer as well. But if the designer states the plugin being designed for a specific host, then you should drop to the designer’s decision as this is his guarantee.
Renoise developers simply cannot give you a guarantee all plugins work because they cannot be tested thorougly enough and this is because there are way too many different plugins around.
However all those 1000 plugin designers can test their product on many of the few available hosts that support VST / DXI plugins.
And a designer of a commercial plugin that is being sold for many bucks could at least have the decency to spent these small 45 bucks of his earned money for a license for Renoise also to be able to add a compatability certificate for Renoise. Even if they do not wish to pay, plug-designers can still test their product in Renoise for free.

There are no excuses for plug-designers not to test their products in Renoise.

Renoise core functionality works and a lot of VSTI’s work as well and for those that seem not to but did in the past alpha’s or beta’s, there are a couple of manual tricks that can be applied (Though Taktik doesn’t like this idea being published too often, if possible not at all, so i keep it off-line in this topic) and then there are plugins that really don’t work, no matter what.
It’s a pity but for now:it’s what i consider acceptable, just looking from the above mentioned facts and ideas behind the concept.

wow vvoois, what a long post… :)

but i agree with that…

1. People keep saying ‘put Renoise in music magazines’, ‘make it have the popularity as FruityLoops and Reason’, ‘make it have professional respect’… well I say… who cares? Some guy down the street maybe can’t use a ‘tracker’, it’s not for him. but f_ck him, his program and his music. You and I use Renoise, and if we spend enough time with it, we can make great songs. Who cares what ‘they’ use. B)[/QUOTE]

you took the words right out o my mouth.
I have many friends that are MPC, Triton, Motif and Logic Audio (sequencing wise) conformists.
they are ALWAYS asking “hey how do I get that effect and trippy rhythm?”.
Ive shown them that tracker way as well as the stepwritting way in there machine.
they have this idea embeded in there heads like we Trackers are a bunch of weirdoz…
thats fine with me…
so now one of my friends in logic has like 3 VST effects just to make a effect (random) that mimicks the REPEAT,DELAY and, 9x commands…while “clicking” in a piano roll (matrix editor).
takes him like 30 minutes to set in just right…and uses about 45% of his CPU.
not to mention he “HAD” to buy a controllor to scrub and scroll his way thru a retangle of stepped beats…because he tooo damm LAZY to learn the key commands that he could have been using instead of wasteing $900 on his controller…(I have a one too so dont trip).
so I say the hell with them. B)
even If RENOISE had mad advertising campains…and it became the “NEXT BIG THING”.
only the “GEEKS WILL” engulp the power in front of them.
the conformists…will…indeed…conform.

vvoois: it wasnt my intent on saying that theres a problem with renoise’s use of vsti & vst plugins nessecarily.

what i meant was for instance: on the automation page when using 512 patterns its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. it pretty much “needs” a horizontal zoom scrollbar in order to be usable. and thats it for that

another one of the things i meant: had to do with the vstiautomate thing which it looks like it might be fixed now, at least im hoping so because the thread seemed exactly how and what i was seeing with the interface lag i wrote about in another thread. so that one is good, i think

and pretty much what i meant with the thing about renoise an vsti plugs, was that in other hosts i havent seen as many problems with them. could they have possibly written something into the the software to be able to work with buggy vstis better?

also i was wondering how come dx instruments have been kicked out since i hear lots of good things about them.

any how IMHO i think 100% of renoise 1.5 working ability is here but only 90% of usage is available. is definetly working solid, its just some minor interface nusances that need to be taken care of now.

an thanks for not thinking im an asshole :)

Ha! Can those 3 people make better songs than me? Then by Odin I throw down the gauntlet to a challenge!

What criterion are you using for 'Professionalism", and isn’t it likely that conception a wank? Have you evaluated that ideological standpoint? I’d say it’s fairly dubious and many would agree.

I bet I could, any many of us, could write songs using in-house dsps that move people, deeply. These songs would be produced and pre-mastered clearly enough to have a great clear sound that gets that emotion across. And don’t forget these are only ‘demo’ songs - any audio engineer would tell you you don’t master in Renoise - that’s for other programs and other equipment. What you state seem counter to all the positive sentiments about what PEOPLE (not necessarily the program) are capable of.

I’m sick of composers getting caught up on this ‘professionalism’ rhetoric. It is quite simply bollocks in terms of good song writing and good sound design. I think the current output of Renoise is cutting edge (minus that internal filter issue thread that’s being looked into). Even so, it’s all about song writing. Production means shit in 50 years time when people look at your song and say ‘gee that’s dated’.

So get your three professionals organised and I bet you I can write better songs than them, :lol: :P :yeah:

2 Extacado

“so I wonder where I could upload a song ? But I’d like to contribute things to the compo or whatever…ect”

You always can find free hosting server. For example in zone “.ru” we have unlimited hosting for not commercial projects in the www.narod.ru. Also you can find MP3 servers, for example www.dance-industries.com which allow upload MP3 in 192kbs format.

2 foo?

“Unprofessional way. Sorry. But more cheap certainly. I think 3 named persons for money can make better sound tracks.”
“Ha! Can those 3 people make better songs than me? Then by Odin I throw down the gauntlet to a challenge!”

Dude, you answer to is not full my message. As I say before:

“But, of course, must be some other persons who can make this work too.”

I don’t interesting in present time in compos and other actions which have intention show who is cool and how much they cool. But I have some experince and if someone interesting in my skills he always can find me and try offer work to me. I take not all projects, but this project is interesting for me, and I say about this beforehand.

And one more remark about whole this theme:

As I say before I come to this place only for make bugreports and make program which I work better. Regrettably I do not feel general delight about last versions of this tracker, becouse it have many bugs which greatly obstruct my work with It. Good GUI innovations it is very good, but it is nothing without stable and fast work…
That is all.

choise: “what i meant was for instance: on the automation page when using 512 patterns its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. it pretty much “needs” a horizontal zoom scrollbar in order to be usable. and thats it for that”

Btw: very good offer. And addition - horisontal zoom, vertical zoom, possibilty of copying area of envelope, possibilty of manual (digital) adjust for every point and very fine envelope for every tick or even higher rather then for pattern string as we have in present time. For example last feature is present in Mad Tracker 2. And I think it better when automation have possiblity of very fine adjusting.

I had a link to an alpha vst I was working on to get audio input into Renoise. It interfaced with Jack. Unfortunately, soon after I posted it, Jack was updated to version 0.6 which made my plugin no longer work, so I took it down.

I was working on a plug-in that interfaces directly with audio hardware to achieve audio input, but it is nowhere near finished.

I have a few others I’ve written, but they are not in a releasable state. Many are half finished projects, and those that are finished I’m rewriting to remove bugs and so on.

I’m going to release InstaJungle soon, it’s inspired by Bram’s SupaTrigga, but with a different set of parameters aimed at live performance. At this stage, there is no gui, and it can’t cope with tempo changes well. I’m fixing the latter bug, and after an alpha release I’ll do a gui for it (Although it seriously doesn’t need one). It also does no sample interpolation, so that will come in future releases.

I actually have to rewrite the thing from the ground up because it was the first plug-in I wrote. It will not, however, be the last.
Thanks for showing an interest by the way :)

that would make the automation area perfect!
unlimited presets for them also would be nice, it could just be a menu in the area where the preset buttons are similar to how the menu works for the samples when in full pattern mode.

being able to highlight, copy, paste, cut, envelope areas would also be very nice too
for me, at least horizontal zoom would be all i really, really, need yet because i use 512 patterns and if there where 1024 patterns i would use that instead
but trying to do automation with them really hurts my eyes right now!

i am going to take a screenshot of this area to show how crazy it is

this is the automation area with the pattern set to 512

hmm maybe i should change my name to “thread killer” B)

probably 1.5 irritations is over as soon as 1.5 Final is out :)

That will be on one of the first hot days in Europe. (and they will be sooner than you expect)

i doubt that highly, but wish i could believe it

In your case 1.5 irritations will be over when 1.6 is out, because they have been morphed to 1.6 irritations.