Very Nice... So Far...

You can ask, but the answer won’t be coming earlier than next month.

From my own personal opinion:i wouldn’t even really care if the credo would be “always try and never buy” for those who seriously ain’t got any dime to spare, but then again i would rather see those people in that income-area try to win a legal copy in the BeatBattle compo’s first.
And:What’s saving a few months of ping-ping for Renoise in contrast to saving a few years for the 500 buckazoid steriod applications?

Don`t know if this might be useful for you in some situations?

http://www.tritonedigital.com/phasetone.htm

“n contrast to saving a few years for the 500 buckazoid steriod applications?”

yeah, true. I’ve tried a lot of these ‘professional’ programs… (in fact I collect all music programs… from the C64 - Amiga to the pc) and find tracking the most intuitive way to get my means across… I wouldn’t possibly know how to achieve certain things in let say cubase, that are a few keyboard clicks away in a tracker.
The only thing even more flexible then renoise, in terms of possibilities, that I’m getting in now, is Max/Msp. You can literally do any abstract idea you might have, only limited by your own fantasy. I would love to be able to create my own tracking object in Max/MSp. As a mather of fact, I want to do this seriously… Imagine the modular possibilities of a tracker in max/msp, that would be sick
xcuse, for the dabble, …

hah!!!

i only removed that comment out of context because i know how much of a problem it created for you. thats gotta be a real pain. i certainly dont envy that task!

is it really go that far Looza? i mean does it really go 6 places behind the decimal?

JONAS! you have got to get away from max/msp!@!!! IT GONNA IMPLODE!!@!#

go toward PD or SC3, i was chatting with some guys about getting a tracker interface going in sc3. an using sc3 as the dsp. you have got to ditch max/msp!!

your synthes are created in realtime from synthe definitions, when they are not being used they are killed. your synth defs are just txt files in a folder.

I dont know, I am too lazy and drunk to check atm (I am at the breakpoint) and k303 told me today that the next version wont have that problem … hooray ! :D

Edit :No version numbers please

Thanks for taking the time to explain it properly :)

I don’t know much about trackers or programming but I can see that it would be very difficult to impliment…

Not a huge problem anyway.

Ok, one of the fields where Renoise could and should improve is live recording. I’m not talking about audio, but recording of notes. Of course the sub-tick timing needs to be there… but also:

1. Overwriting the track while looping the pattern.
  2. Recording different samples (like, of a drumkit) to different tracks, possibly with specific quantize functions for each track.

One annoyance that I encountered most often: ‘Generate drumkit’ resetting the basenotes (details…).

oops, sorry. didnt know that.

I have only two major pains with Renoise, but they are really MAJOR:

1. The BPM is inaccurate, so rendered tracks are virtually useless for further polishing in Cubase, Logic, etc (they will be completely out of sync at some point).

2. The render-to-disc feature itself adds some random silence at the beginning of the WAV’s – you have to manually cut/delete that silence in an audio-editor such as Wavelab or Soundforge.

this is an interesting one. ;)

the BPM thing is pretty crucial i agree… with that fixed, i can work around most other problems ppl are talking about here.

cheers,
.x

how could i forget to mention PDC?
the most striking thing which renoise lacks is definately the plugin delay compensation… i have some really nice plugins which are unusable because of it.
so if i had a free wish, i would use it for the implementation of that nasty compensation thingy.

i was not complaining, i was posting ontopic and mentioned something which hasn’t been posted so far in this thread and the thread-starter asked for present flaws and i found PDC to be one of the at the moment.
what is upcoming or on the TO-DO is another thing in my opinion.
and honestly, i am probably the last person trying to scare away anybody from renoise.

Will the BPM issue be solved?! Thats great news…

it will be … hooray. (and thats a fact)

There is a plugin in Logic that can analyze the BPM of the rendered wave files in realtime accurately. Look in the Plugin’s Helper section.

Yes but with Renoise rendered wave-files this seem to take the same amount of time Steven Spielberg needed to render his Dinosaurs for The Lost World etc.

What do you mean? within 10 seconds it has the BPM…

few features i could use right now

• ability to import and export patterns, w/ relevant samples, instruments, tracks, etc…

so let’s say you’ve spent an afternoon cutting up a difficult break for a tune, and you’ve spent ages on compression, programming, eq, etc…

i’d like to be able to import and export it to other tunes i may want to try it out in… so it’d add the needed tracks and fill in spare sample slots, and remap the pattern data accordingly

then i could have a folder of pre-cutup and sequenced breaks, think “i know, i’d like to try a hotpants break in this tune” and 2 button clicks it’d be there

• track/pattern hierarchy

things can get messy with too many tracks, samples and patterns about - maybe this could make the previous idea easier to implement - you have macros

so a pattern with its own tracks and fx settings, etc… can be called by the main event list… an X-400 could call a drum break which uses 6 tracks of its own

or just collapsable track folders so you can hide a lot of data away

• find the samples can get messy, so maybe a folder system - maybe just 1, 2, 3 and 4 like with the disk section - so i can keep my drum sounds together, samples together, etc… so i’ve got 4 separate instrument lists

• more stereo control

i’d like to be able to convert to mono and choose whether i keep the left, the right, or mix the left and right together

plus, why not a swap l & r option too

• invert sample data

• copy a sample to 16 available slots instantly

• (this would REALLY help) in the sample editor i can lay down “flags” - like the start/end loop points - i’ve got maybe 32 of these max - maybe unlimited… so i go through my breakbeat or performance, placing these flags, being able to slide them left and right, add them or take them away… then a simple button press chops the sample up at all of these points and lays the individual, cut-up samples out into spare sample slots

plus, to make life quicker and easier, an option to lay out flags on a grid - you enter grid value, like 16, and it places 16 flags, equally spaced along the sample so that if i’ve trimmed a 1 bar breakbeat, i only need to adjust the cut points a little to the left or right to get it tight

make it so :yeah: