What do 3.3 really needs…

Please, add velocity support for “note-off” event. It’s too important for some sample libraries.

Actually, for me Renoise basically is good how it is. i mean, stuff like actual side-chaining and blabla would be really nice… but i kinda see it as an extra feature personally. But at the end… I never used it since Renoise is the only DAW i actually use. One cant miss what they dont know (;

The only think i hope @taktik thinks about sooner or later, thinking about the other topic i was replying in today.

Wayland support, because this is gonna be the standard in all the main Linux distributions. Even Debian already ships it as default for Gnome 3. Also Mate Desktop which for a lot of people, Is the new standard started to support this in the beginning of this year. So it seems that its gonna quite fast at the moment. Also KDE supports it already. Well i could go on like this, but making lists doesn’t make sense. Fact is, its gonna be the new standard actually rather sooner then later (:

I can imagine somehow that its not a easiest task, but i’m not a programmer… so at the end I have no clue about that (;

In Sway, programming my patterns does not even work for instance. my keyboard does not react on renoise at all there. And as i3 user its the most logical compositer to go to i guess

There are some problems as described in the topic I was referring to before:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/cant-drag-and-drop-tools-in-renoise-on-ubuntu-19-10-with-wayland/60568/4

1 Like

An envelope meta device that combines key tracker, velocity tracker and a one shot LFO. I use key tracker and/or velocity tracker with a one shot LFO combo multiple times in every instrument and in a lot of track effects. That or the ability to take meta control outside of a doofer, so I can just drag in a single doofer full of meta devices to control a Hydra and it’ll “just work”

This would also make setting up sidechaining faster. This is what Renoise 3.3 needs.

I would love to see a really killer calculator tool. Like a scientific one, but with like music tools. The shift mode can give you all the musical notes of the chromatic scale, and you can build chords with calculator functions. And then there can be a hexadecimal mode, that can convert to miliseconds, so you have an exact idea of what FF is, or AC is, and you can make calculations like “0000AC + 1234FF.”

It can be in the FX box, and you can just drag it into your tracks below. It doesn’t have to process audio…

1 Like

Most lacking features I can think of are usability stuff, the rest is just fine:

• Free edit cursor as an option to the center-locked one. Current behaviour forces me to readjust to the surroundings every time I move a line. For comparison, interface-wise trackers are practically text editors and this behaviour in a text editor would be as bad as it is in Renoise/FT2 (this is why IT wins FT in editing every day). edit: but yeah, personal preference…
  • Variable pattern lengths in arranger, iow the ability to mix say 64 lines with 16 lines to get quick flexibility in composing
  • Pattern editor background coloring in blocks (like 8 lines) in addition to single colored lines. edit: I think this would make it faster to get a glancing overview
  • Lines between patterns in pattern editor instead of massive color difference for continuous editing (like page changes - this would fit very well for text editor style cursor)

And sampler stuff:

• Loop point automation (edit: even if it would sound glitchy)
  • Free running modulation and bpm synced modulation in sampler in addition to locked ones (current lfo restarts for every note-on)
  • Variable cutoff slopes for modulation filters
1 Like

I’m all for the sampler stuff, that’s for sure, especially the loop-point automation. @Achenar is REALLY close to it as is @Raul.

I’d like to know more about what you mean by the variable pattern lengths in the arranger - do you mean the patterns in a horizontal row, so one could make polyrhythmic patterns? Then yeah, that does makes sense. Otherwise, it’s very easy to make one row/pattern 64 steps and the row/pattern below it 16 steps. There IS a way to polyrhythmic patterns, read here: Phrases, Polyrhythm Example. What makes it effective is the “Glide” command (0GXX) or (GX). That’s the trick behind it, and it is very effective. Not only for long samples to just keep looping, but for patterns as well. That being said, it sure would be cool to be able to just do it right in the sequencer area. Make one track in the pattern 16 notes and the track right next to it 13 notes. Using phrases is the current way to do this.

Yep, mixing pattern lengths would also allow polyrhytms (though patterns would need to be positioned on per line accuracy into arranger), but for me the main use would be pattern atomization and compositional fast changes (as patterns would only need to be as long as needed and no more).

Thanks for the phrases link, nice trick!

@loimi You can determine the number of lines of each pattern manually.

You can also use the ZBxx command to break the pattern and jump to line xx of the next pattern. You can use it on the Master track to be tidier (although it works on any track).

But don’t expect magic with the metronome. Unfortunately, Renoise still doesn’t allow you to change the rhythm metronome as needed, for example, for a multi-measure song (yes, from a tool and it would not be very accurate.).

@Neuro_No_Neuro Unfortunately, not everything is possible. For that, we would need the API to be better equipped in some details, and that is beyond our control.

2 Likes

Yep, I know :slightly_smiling_face: Which is why I said you were “REAL close”. Once that’s a possibility, with the API, then I believe you and Achenar are able to complete the task.

idk if just dont know how to use the command. But i would like for the envelopes to have time markers like the samples have in sample viewer. So you can use the Exx command more precisely .Is it just me or doesnt the Exx command work on the adshr?

I didn’t read everyone suggestion, but here’s maybe a quickwin…
I found how to filter sample files by names in a directory, but that would be really cool to have this feature able to filter samples recursively in all subdirectories (I haven’t found how to do that…). By the way, that would also be nice to have a way to display all samples located in all subdirectories, not filtered, in order to browse quickly a whole collection without going in every location…

Cheers :slight_smile:

ps: Oh, and another thing I can’t do without the help of an external recorder is picking multiple samples at the same time… It’s kind of usefull when you want to record and instrument with multiple mics (I use 2 for a cajon or an acoustic guitar… I route them to left and right, kind of tricky but works great)… If I had to record, let’s say, a drumer with its load of mics, I just have to switch to another record tool, and I miss the ability of renoise to stick samples on the tempo and cut them efficiently… So…

I have run into that issue too often where the rendered file is missing the first note, that is my wish to fix.

I think renoise need also a record option for arp/seqiencer midi vsts…

A saturation knob effect would be mighty useful.

1 Like

Built in activatable LFOs inside the native effects, like in Ableton, would be super handy. Currently loading a separate LFO and mapping it to say a filter is pretty easy but after nearly 5 years of doing that over and over and having to rename each LFO so I don’t get lost is getting tiring. I’d really like to be able to load an effect with the LFO inside the effect so to save time and to not have to rename each LFO every time.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see that - an internal LFO(s) on devices would be handy!

Never will happen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Why should they change the whole concept now?

Better copy Bitwigs modulation system! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the LFO in Renoise. You can make everything you want, also an envelope, one shot it etc. In my opinion its powerful Art of modulation.
I like also the way, how you can create lfo automation curves in reaper. Its an kind of Automation Presets. But on the other side reaper has bad modulation options.

But this would be great for automation in renoise 3.3: