What do 3.3 really needs…

Aphex suggestions were pretty good, i would especially love the note+octave drop down menu, and be able to select a note from any octave in one action only.No need to adjust octave adjustements or other fuss slowing workflow.You just select the note straight away.This is an advantage piano roll have over keyboard entering with octave adjustements.You can select or edit any note really quickly by just DIRECT selection,at any octave, in one movement.Such a drop down menu would fix this.Melody writing and editing needs to have a bit more of an intuitive flow.Doing something in 2 or 3 actions when it could only done in 1 action needs to be addressed, especially when something as important as melody writing is concerned.After all it means everything takes twice as long as it should be.Renoise is super powerful but melody writing and pitch selection needs upgrade and simplification.

Aphex suggestions below
''fanks!

''The reason this vid exists is because when my good friend Leila wanted to remix it, she asked if she could just have the melody without the drums, to make it easier to work out, so I thought be a nice little treat to make her a movie of it.
About PlayerPro though,Id like to write a chunk about that program.

Its very simple compared to modern things like Renoise BUT it had some advantages over it
Here’s the main things I loved about Playerpro. You could drag instruments from the list on the right, directly into the arrangement window, this alone makes writing things SO much faster than say Renoise and SO much more fun and less ballache.
I know you can play them in from the keyboard but you need both.
Next is if you right click a note in the arrangement window, you get a list of possible column functions/FX AND notes with octaves, This is a really fast and intuitive way to program and most importantly edit things you played in.
Ive tried in vain to make Renoise coders listen, help!

You could print plugin effects directly & destructively onto the sample, hence fr eeing up CPU but you could hear the effect first before you printed it.
I’ve really pecked several people to do this and it did get finally done in Renoise but its still not as accurate as PP, gain is not handled correctly last time i checked, Renoise has that great highlight part of the arrangement thing but the gain doesn’t get worked out properly when you have a bunch of fx, be top if this is fixed now?
The other reason this feature is so good and powerful is because most people these days setup EQs on each channel etc and they just sit there wasting CPU and most importantly the urge to carry on tweaking it always remains.
You would be amazed how it can train your brain to get it right the first time when you are forced to make a decision about EQ and then can’t change it, a bit like with a digital camera, you just take loads of shit pictures of the same thing instead of one thats right, I’m generalising.
But every sampler VST i’ve seen does this as well, its the wrong way to do it, all your plugins should be available in the sample editor to apply to samples, not on the mixer, well you need both.
I think its because in the beginning of audio on DAWS, coders were fixated about replicating real mixing desks and recording bands but this didn’t take into account the new way people were going to start using DAW’s
But even if you can’t take that discipline you could just have an undo history on the sample…so you wouldn’t have to re EQ the EQ if it were wrong…you could also have an amazing cpu guzzling EQ on every sound.
It just doesn’t make any sense to have a live EQ on static samples…yet every DAW does this, unless I missed one? Ive checked all of them and they all do that…frustrating when everyone goes down the same wrong road.
Also helped code some really different sounding granular and FFT plugs for it which was the icing on the cake…
But it was really limited so would prefer those functions in Renoise rather than resurrecting good old PP.‘’

5 Likes

Ok, i really need a very important function (at least for me) what should very easy to Code. Playing my selection in Pattern. The Block Mode is useless for me. I not want limited from Patternblock ranges. Play and loop a Selection in Pattern make much more sense!

happy tacking

i know a dude that still uses playerpro and is one of my main influences when i started making music :slight_smile:

1 Like

so is this version being finalised or could suggestions still make there way in ?

There exists allready a build Version.

2 Likes

@NPC1 Here you have a specific tool for this. I know it’s not under Renoise’s hood. But you can try it…

By the way, it has not been easy to program!

1 Like

Thanks Raul, but i not use any 3 Party Tools. And it should very easy to code from Renoise direct. All what needed is there in the block play function!!! You have a startposition, you have a stop position. Where should be the Problem!?

Well you could start some day. You’re missing a lot.

Ask the person in charge. I guess there is no time for everything…

This thread sometimes sounds like ‘hey everybody, let’s get together and each have a stab at the one developer we have’.
There are no easy things to program - what one thinks will take few minutes usually takes few hours and let’s not forget the testing that all works well after. If all that was proposed in here (and other threads) was to be implemented we’d need 5 full time developers.
So… that being said… :slight_smile: Possibly in one of the future versions samples used by the ‘Convolver’ as impulse can be made to save within the RNSX file - I don’t have the impression this is happening at the moment? (likely this would be also an option under ‘Preferences’ - ‘Files’ - ‘Song/Instr./sfx Export’)
And, since ideas are easy… add an option in the Convolver so it can be made to resamples the impulse according to the midi note input - if that makes any sense. Likely the re-sampling would need to happen once (on loading of the impulse) and then the Convolver would read out the correct sample from the pre-resampled memory - or better way might be to simply permit audio routing to be used as the impulse (so resampling would be done on a different track… one could use vst’s for the impulse,…). As I said, ideas are easy. Thank you for all the good work!

3 Likes

a proper note grab move up with the arrow press a certain button and grab it and move it where u like

@Inhoused You talking nonsense. What i read out of your Post ist. Realize not the need and ideas of the other posters here, use mine…

If there is no time for anything then the entire Thread is useless. I am self a Developer. (Delphi, C++, C#, Java, MMASM) and when i say it should be easy to integrate (because all of needed functions already exist and are using in actual program Version) you could accept it.

PS: Crying of only 1 Developer… I only can assume that the Lead Developer want to be the only DEV on the Project and not want to give it out of his Hands. Im sure in other Case it would give many Support to this Project. I Would Support too. For Coding and/or Testing. But for Help, its need of an Sourcecodemanagement Tool and Collaboration Ways/Tools. Just my opinion.

happy Tracking

1 Like

I want a battle royal feature.

2 Likes

Only an advanced AI can say what Renoise 3.3 really needs.
But a human can identify the 10 more asked features and then create a poll.

2 Likes

While it is too big to implement in a simple update, I think adding some way of viewing sample wave forms in the timeline (with the editing features of the sampler added) would open up Renoise, making it easier to manipulate individual samples, work with long samples (for example vocal recordings) and also lowering the barrier of entry for people not well versed with tracker systems. It’s the one aspect that I still prefer in other DAWs compared to Renoise.
Ideas for implementation would be a simple horizontal timeline view, wav form overlays in the advanced pattern editor or a per-track sample/wave form view/editing tab at the bottom (next to the DSP/Automation tabs). Imo this would blow all other DAWs out of the water as it would make Renoise a true hybrid DAW retaining the tracker workflow while allowing for in-depth sample processing and visual editing without switching to the sampler.

I‘d like Ableton live style Audio Warping within the Sampler itself with SXX Markers behaving just like Ableton Warp Markers and a new effect command to move them of course =D

Automatic Key detection of samples would be great as well.

Also I‘d like a pony

4 Likes

+1 for a pony. I mean, come on…

2 Likes

Another thing that I’d really like is automation lanes that are not linked to a pattern, to be able to adjust a parameter further than the current pattern that is playing. Maybe there is a way to do it that I haven’t discovered yet.

1 Like

@NPC1, we seem to have said the opposite. There will not be time for everything, as is normal, but yes for important things, supposedly. The strange thing is, if you are a programmer with so much experience, why don’t you make your tools with LUA?

LUA looks a lot like C++ (it’s a derivative). Many user requests can be covered well with LUA tools.

If Renoise had all the ideas from the forums implemented it would be very fat and heavy, difficult to maintain / modify / improve.

Nonetheless, I think the looping ability of the selection should be under the hood (seems like a no-brainer), even though there is already a tool that does that (and with more options).

Using Renoise doesn’t just mean composing music. You can also program with LUA and expand it. Both things. Many people who know English forget this.

1 Like

Simply thing Raul, because i hate scriptet shit! Never scripted things are so straight, direct and efficient to implement as in native project code. Api’s or Interfaces are ever a limiting factor. An open moderated Git Repo would be the better way in my opinion. Users can code their own functions and send it to dev for inspecting. If he is fine with the code he could it integrate.

I think one of the best features of Renoise is precisely that it has an API to expand capabilities. It’s wonderful to be able to add features without a supervisor to expand your Renoise. The API has limits (and should have them), like anything else.

What I don’t understand is your hatred for scripts. Most are little lines of code that “do something new”, if well written. The only real limitation is time and the desire to learn how to use it. If you switch to another program or DAW with expandability, the same thing happens. You have to relearn specific things for that program (the API… LUA…). For the rest, there is no excuse. The LUA code works just as well as the built-in code under the hood as long as it is well written, unless it is a heavy tool with hundreds of functions as a spaghetti plate.

On the matter of someone monitoring the code of others, I would not know what to think. Certainly, even people who know how to code hardly contribute anything here in these forums. There are only “4 cats” staring at the moon, and each person programs very differently. Maintaining that would be a headache.

2 Likes