What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?

Play/Trigger samples with LFO’s, audio, any kind of signal.

Sending release/note-off velocity to VSTs/hardware would be amazing. I assumed this was there already but after a while of trying with my Waldorf M I checked the forums and it seems like it wasn’t me doing something wrong (generally my first assumption) after all.

Of cause!
There are three types of NI products I use in Renoise – Instruments, Synths and Effects from different era of development. For instance – synths Massive and Massive X. I have no issues using Massive in renoise (and still using it), however Massive X using is like a self self-flagellation and masochism. It is so slow to response to ANY interaction like, change preset, change something in a preset, switch tabs. It is all in single sandbox mode. If individual sandbox is enabled all this become simple impossible to use cause of the time lag and delay mentioned above becomes eternal.
Better situation with NI Effects, like Replica XT to Raum. I use them, however the responsiveness of the plugins interfaces is very slow.
Another story with Instruments. I use a lot of Kontakt sampled instruments and 80% of a time all running good. However, sometimes the instruments becomes “glitchy”, sound with clicks and sometimes really strange. And I need to delete the instruments and re–open it within Komtakt to get back to normal.
We can discuss it further more in detail. That’s my pain.
I use Apple Mac Studio M1 Max with Ventura 13.1

Still really could use some way to have negative delay values or achieve this effect without having to put notes a line early

4 Likes

•More Native DSP like Tape Stop

•Native Modular Synthesis including Granular. I know it seems far fetched but the FX section already reminds me of a Modular Synth

•Wait for it…Native Piano Roll. I totally changed my opinion on this one but I don’t see how it would hurt. There’s a mock up of what a native one would look like on the forums somewhere

•Midi/Pattern Clips - There used to be a Program called Phrazor that executed this perfectly. Basically one track contains a clipboard of 128 different midi variations that could be triggered live. Essentially a Matrix for each track

•And finally a way to link tracks to instruments one to one ahead of time like a classic sequencer. That way moving through tracks would automatically change the instrument selected before inserting anything in the pattern.

Sorry if I sound greedy guys. I really just see Renoise as already a Super DAW and with a few tweaks I feel one could go completely Native and have everything you need. No 3rd party stuff at all. A guy can dream can’t he?

3 Likes

There’s a great little tool for this already :slight_smile:

you can do convincing tape stops by resampling and down pitching either in the modulation section or using track fx commands. sometimes it helps to add a LP filter with decreasing cutoff frequency simultaneously. a workaround, to be sure, but usually does the trick

I’m with you on the other stuff! Especially modular synthesis with various engines. wavetable, FM (cross modulation of any source to any other would be ideal), and granular being my top three most desired. this would be a major code rewrite for the cross modulation, at least, so, I’m not holding my breath for any of this stuff. I believe that devs view plugin support as taking care of these needs. which, they do. I just want renoise to do EVERYTHING, lol…

2 Likes

Thanks, bro I really want to do everything in Renoise too I love my little color scheme too much!

I also have that tool but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Maybe you could help me out with that

1 Like

hmm, not sure why it wouldn’t be working. In the tool description it says there is a way to enable/disable it, but I’m having trouble finding that option on my setup. will keep you posted if I figure it out…

OK, maybe this helps:

looks like option+shift+backslash on my system

Cursor to stay in track when moving horizontal scrollbar.

Okay so I’ll have to try this when I get home. I think I may have downloaded the other tool similar to this one from the same creator :man_facepalming:t6:

But to clarify, using this tool, as I move through my tracks in the mixer view via arrow keys the instrument selection will automatically select the instrument assigned? That would be a Godsend

Yep, that’s exactly what it does :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for the simple stuff like this

External Editor (like the Stepper device) for the EQ devices with graphical EQ overlay - ideally with the ability to compare to either another track or the master output.

3 Likes

“Duplicate group” and “Duplicate group (incl. patterns)” functions, or better yet, make the “Duplicate track” and “Duplicate track (incl. patterns)” also duplicate groups with their respective content if a group is selected.

This certainly needs a limitation (maximum number of tracks to duplicate). When these kinds of things are requested, you must attend to extreme situations. For example, you can put 128 tracks (or 1000) into a parent group, and add up to 6 more group levels on top of that. Should the tasked function be able to duplicate this parent group with all its children?

The group hierarchy is somewhat peculiar “and complex”. The problem is when it is asked to also add all the data of each track. The operation may take too long. In a lua tool it could be programmed, perhaps, with a limitation of up to 32 tracks at most. It would be a good programming challenge. Let’s see if anyone dares.

Personally, I don’t expect this to be included under the hood, as it’s a tricky subject.

1 Like

Those are really good point. As counterargument, I would say that a function like this should produce the most general result, and it should be documented to make it clear to users what the results will be and when it is a good time to use it and when it is not, giving users the autonomy to decide for themselves when to and when not to use such functionality.

From a user’s perspective, if it makes sense to duplicate a group with or without content, then this function would be beneficial. If it doesn’t make sense because of the things you mentioned, then the user can use another workflow. As long as what the results of such function are made clear, then trust can be put on the user to make the right decision for themselves - users are smart after all.

As it stands right now in v3.4.2, duplicating a group only duplicates the group without any of its nested tracks in it, which is not what I was expecting, and felt a little useless, hence the reason I wrote my FR - I can’t think of a reason to duplicate a group where the duplicate that has nothing in it.

No need to document anything. Simply if there is a limit, say of 32 tracks (also counting subgroups), if the parent group to be duplicated exceeds the limit, a popup will appear indicating this and preventing the operation, similar to the maximum level of 6 for subgroups. Otherwise it would work without a problem.

This approach could be under the hood.

The most extreme case would be 32 tracks with data, of 1000 patterns of 512 lines each pattern. That is already a lot of information to duplicate at once.

True, it’s clear that this is “incomplete” for some reason, probably complexity.

oh, I would very much like to optimize with the new macbooks. I was stupid and put the macOS Ventura and … everything does not work there very smoothly. at the same time, one kernel is sometimes loaded and a crack appears despite the fact that the computer is not loaded at all.

• What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?
  • Nothing. Just hope.
1 Like

I don’t hope anymore for anything in general. :point_up:
Even if there are VSTs for everything, I would like to see a native monoizer (just like GMono Bass) and a native clipper (just like GClip) in Renoise. Especially if Renoise wants to be a DAW for all in one, including mastering. There is no proper mastering without a mono bass, that’s for sure. Having a more decent native delay (including ping pong and all that stuff) and native reverb would be great, too.

1 Like