What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?

I said it before, I donā€™t think threads like this are very motivating for the dev(s).

1 Like

Why not? A user-driven development path seems like it would be a great asset to the devs for turning out updates with desirable feature sets. More updates = higher version number = quicker license renewals = profits and a better product.
It just doesnā€™t seem like renoise is much of a development priority, thoughā€¦ Taktik has been MIA for months now, yes?

3 Likes

Could be heā€™s working on the new sononym version also, but I donā€™t know. And I think he has a regular job.

Yeah, I donā€™t think this is a bad thing (unless people make it a bad thing). In all the years on/off with Renoise I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever posted before in this thread, but it seemed like the right place to be like "hey, this would be cool to have.ā€™

Iā€™m, like, also more that 100% happy with Renoise - and part of the reason I am is because this is clearly a passion project for the devs. They work on it when they can, and when they do add things, it only makes it better (without, generally, breaking a bunch of other shit). Often their updates take into account common requests and/or things that ā€œmake senseā€ - so I think it canā€™t hurt to (respectfully) talk about things weā€™d like.

4 Likes

What makes you think that?

From what Iā€™ve seen, people arenā€™t demanding things in this thread. Just making a wish list. If nothing else, it serves as a thermometer for what people in this thread, a vocal minority, Iā€™m sure, are interested in. Some of which might be relatively easy to implement. While other suggestions will never, ever happen. Regardless, it seems like a good thing to know. Even if it has no bearing on your development plans or timetable.

2 Likes

gentle bump for this. 10 cores enabled, i hit renoise with 72% cpu (on the edge of xrun crackle fest) activity monitor reports 17% :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to be able to reset LFOs from the automation editor

Yes, the LFOs could be improved. I would like to see the LFOā€™s amplitude not moving (after the destination was adjusted) until the LFO gets activated, and furthermore I would like to be able to start the amplitudeā€™s movement at a specific starting point. Otherwise it could be a pain in the ass to render the song until the sound thatā€™s influenced by the LFO sounds as desired. Once I had a song which I had to render at least 8 times until it sounded right.

You can automate the lfo reset parameter to start it exactly where and when you would like :slight_smile:

How? Yes, I could click on reset manually and it will start at a specific position (according to offset), but I cannot automate this (no reset shown in the automation view) and thereā€™s seemingly no pattern command that could activate reset at a specific position within a pattern. Iā€™m looking for this for years. Am I blind? :thinking:

1 Like

So, the easiest way is perhaps through pattern commands. Right click on the reset button at the point in the pattern you want the sync point, then xx00 starts at the beginning of the cycle all the way through xxFF for the end of the cycle.

You can also use a keytracker to sync lfo behavior on keypress (if you always want it to start from the same point) by choosing lfo reset as the destination, and making sure that the min and max values are identical on the keytracker. This is great for one-shot lfos

If you wanted to be able to automate the reset position to different points throughout a song or pattern, just contain the lfo (and whatever you want it to control) in a doofer and assign a doofer macro to lfo reset, then automate that doofer macro. You can use this technique with an lfo that has a frequency of zero LPC to have a playable lfo via automation curves, if you want to draw it all in by hand or use a tool (automasher or automatron) to spam a bunch of upward ramps to cycle the lfo, but at that point, you might as well just be using automation instead of the lfo in the first place. But this technique does have its uses.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I just have checked the manual again. At one point in the past I right clicked on that reset button before without getting any result (probably because all my columns are generally hidden), but today Iā€™ve found the effect command. Of course after posting here. And itā€™s clear, I should check the manual from time to time or letā€™s say more attentive. This knowledge would have saved a lot of rendering time (real time rendering). :crazy_face:

2 Likes

yeahhhh, renoise is deep. always good to re-RTFM :upside_down_face:

Absolutely! I havenā€™t checked the manual myself for years, nowadays I only point to the manual if someone asks something in this forum. Probably Iā€™ve also overlooked the possibility how to draw your own waveforms in the Sampler. If I remember correctly this was even possible in ProTracker 30 years agoā€¦

1 Like

Oh, yeah, totally doable in renoise. Just use the draw tool :pencil2:

1 Like

Ah yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve overlooked. I was looking for a pencil symbol below the waveform and on the left, but not above the waveform. I was expecting it to be below the waveform right next to the other tools, but ā€œof courseā€ itā€™s above. And I can even remember now using it before, but I think itā€™s been around 10 years ago in Renoise version 2.7.1. Thanks, good talk! :slightly_smiling_face:

So, the status has been updated. Iā€™m not hoping for those ā€œfeaturesā€ anymore, because this stuff already exists. RTFM carefully before you post here in this thread. :wink:

Ooh, I have a few things I would love to see.

1. Grouping instruments so they can be expanded/collapsed (primarily for when I feel like working on one type of thing)
  2. Option to focus on instrument pane after rendering (so I can immediately Ctrl+R to rename the sample instrument to something memorable)
  3. Option so that, when dragging an audio file into renoiseā€™ instrument pane, it creates a new instrument (instead of replacing the currently selected instrument)
  4. Ability to move AHDSR points with a mouse by clicking and dragging points (instead of only sliders)
  5. Similar to above for filter (like Abletonā€™s filter)
  6. Ability to group and nest patterns
  7. Ability to split and mute patterns (e.g., take one pattern and only mute the last half of it)
2 Likes

One more thing:
Ability to copy track from another song (basically import or merge track(s), pattern(s))

3 Likes

This is probably a bit niche but the write slices to phrases function only works in 4/4.Would like to see it cater to any time signature.Maybe it could read the beat-sync first before it performs its function??in order to set the correct phrase?

3 Likes

I really want there to be a container or a tab where I could include a Lua script as a plugin tool. And it would be great if I could automate them or bind them to macro control devices. This would make Renoise and Redux resemble an infinite synthesizer. Many developers have shown the potential of such tools, but unfortunately, they are all tied to the sampler, which significantly limits the potential of such instruments.

But all of this is just dreams and desires. Right now, Iā€™m concerned about the not always good optimization with the new Apple processors.

1 Like