What feature are you hoping for in upcoming Renoise releases?

To start playback from within a pattern using the automation editor… or is this already possible? I swear I did it before but now it doesn’t work.

I just wished Renoise would have its effect plugins updated, some clunky workflows (as resampling, for example) improved and also the sampler updated with convenient tools that people (understandably) have been asking since the 00s.

I know many of you guys like to praise limitations in Renoise as “character”, or like to say that Renoise shouldn’t change but I don’t think the bare minimum of workflow improvement can be classified as a hard “change”. Renoise has a LOT to catch up, more than any audio software that I currently use imo. I love it more than any DAW despite its many flaws, now imagine if it had some functional improvements implemented, more frequent care directed towards its workflow, tools and updates… It would be insane. I’d probably stop using half of the softwares I currently use pricisely because of the limitations I mentioned…

…plus the Bitwig receiver thing people mentioned, but just because I use Bitwig obviously. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

CLAP support.

4 Likes

Doofer device’s preset menu: Option to organize custom presets in custom folders. I have a lot of presets for all my hardware synths and it’s getting hard to locate the ones I want now, I need to scroll a lot inside the preset list.

2 Likes

Plugin grabber, but for external hardware.

MIDI out from Redux.

2 Likes

It is possible to trigger multiple instruments with one note by setting the midi output of an instrument to an internal router ( on mac its IAC Bus ) and then select that as a midi input for another instrument

At the end of the pattern do a note off, with a delay of FF. Since it is in the pattern it will stay with it when re-arranging.

There is this single issue that has been stopping me from using trackers for 10+ years:

I want to record a pattern of notes without any tempo considerations. Then after I have the performance down exactly as I like, I would like to scale the notes in time in order to make them fit a renoise pattern. In other words, the notes should keep their recorded tempo while the pattern is being scaled to find the perfect match. If you implement this feature, I will buy a fresh license instantly.

1 Like

The Noodletrap tool would do this. Unfortunately, @danoise has stopped updating it for current versions.

This tool is to help automate the process of creating a Renoise instrument directly from sounds from a piece of MIDI capable hardware, such as as a synthesizer.

2 Likes

Individual pattern sequence lengths and tempi - not phrases. This would provide strange, drunken pattern-overlap

PM/FM synthesis - built-in, not plugins

Polyphonic granular - built-in, not plugins

One day, maybe.

6 Likes

I connect Renoise and Bitwig using Blue Cat Connector and Ableton Link. Works like a dream.

1 Like

I hate how people don’t want it to change.

The developers aren’t making millions off of this and probably develop Renoise part time.

If people want Renoise to still be around and being developed in 10 years they have to add whatever will attract new customers.

I support Renoise adding whatever will get Renoise a bigger user base, purism be damned.

5 Likes

Hey, would you care to give a brief explanation on how you’re working to connect Renoise with Bitwig using those? Thanks!

1. Set Bitwig to use your audio interface as its audio device.
  2. Set Renoise to use your computers audio device or whatever.
  3. Load a BCC as an instrument in Renoise and set it to send with a unique port number.
  4. Load a BCC as an instrument in Bitwig and set it to receive with the same port number. Route this track to a vst instrument track in Bitwig.
  5. Any midi sent to that instrument in Renoise via the tracker will now go to the VST in Bitwig with no noticeable lag same as if you were just playing notes on a midi controller in Bitwig.
  6. Repeat as many times as needed with as many BCCs with unique port numbers as you want.

You can place all your BCC tracks in a group in Bitwig and just fold the group so you never have to deal with them. You can save these setups as templates in Renoise and Bitwig so if your workflow is the same in every song you only have to set this up once.

You can also do basically the same thing to send audio from tracks playing audio in Renoise to audio tracks in Bitwig. I don’t do that in my music so I didn’t include it in my step-by-step there in case I misstated the process.

Do everything in Renoise if you want, you won’t be able to tell Renoise isn’t hosting your plugins it works like normal. Then when you’re done writing your song in Renoise switch to Bitwig hit record and record everything, midi and audio, into Bitwig. Then finish the song in Bitwig same as any other Bitwig song. Mix master record vocals apply effects use operators and probability etc.

Ableton Link syncs up the tempos so if you change it in one it changes in the other. If Renoise adds the Ableton Link play/stop sync (taktik said they didn’t know if people would use it) hitting play in one DAW would start playing the other so when you record from Renoise into Bitwig the recordings’ timing in Bitwig would be perfect. As a workaround I have a program that splits my midi controller into two ports so when I hit a button on my controller it sends it to both DAWs at the same time. I just map the same controller button to the play button in Renoise and Bitwig so one button press starts playing in both, this makes it easy to record everything into Bitwig.

Or as another workaround I just hit record play in Bitwig then switch to Renoise and play the song. The recording will be off by however long it takes you to switch windows and do this but I just make my first pattern in every song a simple 4 on the floor filler pattern playing right on the grid so when I record everything into Bitwig I know the first note should be at the exact beginning of the song so I just split all the tracks at the spot where the first note plays select them all and drag to the beginning.

You can do all your sequencing and shit in Renoise and forget you even have Bitwig open then switch to the Bitwig window and do all your mixing mastering automation and VST parameter changes in Bitwig and you can forget you even have Renoise open. It’s seamless and you get all the advantages of both DAWs.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/oUrIb-H1HgQ

1 Like

Shortcut settings for “Song Options”

1 Like

Shortcut keys for each menu.
File/Edit/View/Option/Song/Tools/Help

Allow setting the color of the frames in the four corners during pattern editing. Currently fixed at red.

2 Likes

I’d find it very helpful if we could get rulers in the sample editor. Like in Photoshop, you just pull them from the top or left to help visually with peaks and valleys in samples, etc.
rulers

2 Likes