What hardware are you using with Renoise, if any?

Cool, thanks for the hardware tips!

I’ve been looking at soundcards with multiple inputs and so far found some cheap little usb
ones for under 20 bucks to get multiple in’s:

Sabrent Usb Stereo 3D Sound Adapter - Newegg.com-9SIAME8AHY4453--Product&cm_sp=SP--463894--0--3--9SIAME8AHY4453--usb%20sound%20card--card|sound|usb-_-13

Ive got the internal Soundblaster Z card; so just to confirm, you are suggesting that within Renoise,
it is possible to assign output routing on the track level? Cause that’d be sweet!

In renoise preference,be sure to uncheck “limit to stereo in/out”

Then,in the mixer,you can select ouput at the bottom of the strips

With “input” device,you can inject the “line in” in a track

One of your “surround” output go to your fx box,then the fx box go to your line input

1 Like

Seriously,no

Do you have any experience with those?
Seems a cheap way to get a boat load of in’s and out’s and its just audio level stuff ya know…

Your Soundblaster Z is great for what you want to do

Better cheap alternative,if you have no choice

Cool, appreciate the tips!
Going to try to rig up the Doctor A and get some out-board effects happening =)

1 Like

New to Renoise. Exploring to try and find the best workflows.

Currently have the MODX, Argon8 and Microbrute set up. Using them all in Renoise.

I’d have more set up (have loads more gear, and free audio inputs) but space is at a real premium in my “studio”!

I don’t use MIDI,but from my point of view, “doofer” + “hydra” + “instr. MIDI control” devices are good friends for you

1 Like

Have you seen the Sensel Morph or the Joué?
As soon as there is an abundance of money on my part I will check them out in person. (They’re not even that expensive, but I’ve already exceeded the tolerance budget of my wife.)

1 Like

Controlling external devices from Renoise:

• Download the ‘MIDI CC Implementation’ for the devices then map the CC numbers in ‘instr. MIDI control’.
  • Once thats mapped save it as a preset for the device. The device may now be used, similar to other
    Renoise devices, affecting the parameters using FX column or automation envelopes.

Controlling Renoise instruments from external hardware:

• MIDI Learn is helpful for mapping Renoise controls to knobs on a controller.
  • Instuments (plugins or sample based) can be configured to be played from a controller.

Probably just a few possibilities, for example… im currently working on using external effects
units to affect sounds within Renoise.

Hope this helps, have fun exploring this fun and powerful tracker.

1 Like

My latest purchase , I actually paid a little bit more , 170 euro for the unit + 3 cards ( including 909 card )
A pretty amazing deal , considering the 909 card alone sells for 100+ euro
Also , this unit hits and slams like a mofo ,sure it is sample based , but most samples consists out of two parts , a low and a high transient part with independent decay parameters , nuance parameters etc…
The 909 sounds amazing , it all makes sense why this was the preffered techno machine of the 90’s
Great unit !!

3 Likes

PXL_20210401_154516181

My Behringer 303 clone arrived last night. I’m not sure how useful that synth is for my music. But it was so inexpensive I couldn’t resist. Took it for a test drive and I just jammed with it till 3 in the morning… now I think about it… I should have jammed with it till 3:03, of course. Oh well…

If nothing else, I had few good hours of fun with it. And my cat is happy with his new box. So win, win. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I had the same noise issue when I was trying amplitube a few years ago… now I got a line6 modeling amp that is also a sound card and the sound is so much better… the noise is so much a problem when doing metal otherwise.

And it doesn’t seem to depend on the guitar, that much, but of course humbuckers are a must

1 Like

I have both humbuckers and a single coil pickup on my guitar, so i guess it picks up noise a bit easier. I just got some copper tape, so i will try and see if it helps to build a faraday cage around the electronic components. I have read that this should help.

I recently got my first hardware ever - Arturia Microfreak. I’m still struggling a bit to get into a nice workflow using it with Renoise.
It’s a fun little piece of soundmaker. You get quite a lot for the money, I think.

1 Like

The microfreak seems like a very cool & powerful synth!

I’ve been buying hardware synths the last couple of years. And I’m still haven’t found a great workflow with them. So most of the time they go unused. Followed by making sounds on them and sampling those. Which is fun! But at times I’d wish I utilized them better.

I use just Roland Hardware. In my studio i have:

JP-8000
D-50
Gaia SH-01
SH-201
System-8
JD-Xi
TR-8S

1 Like

I just tried the Behringer Deepmind 12. Really nice analog synth, for that little money. I gave it back, because I thought it had also a split mode, but it hasn’t. It really sounds like a Juno 106, but has much more features. The cross-osc sync sounds aweome, I miss that in most recent VSTis (they only emulate it per single osc). Tried to recreate the sound of the extremely smooth deepmind filter in VSTis, so far I only came close with Zebra. But also the digital fx in the synth ar very nice. Culprit is lack of midi controller mode and the ventilation (which can be reduced).

Somehow VSTi devs don’t get that the filter smoothess does not come from oversampling, but some extra smoothing, some shaping or so. So far I only found Zebra’s LP Vintage filter coming close (and ZebraHZ’s diva filters of course, if you have that).

The audio output of the deepmind is crystal clear. There is a 3rd party remove control vsti for 7 eur or so. Also there is the normal standalone editor and an ipad editor! Yes, it has WIFI heheh

1 Like