What Is Your Most Powerful Pattern Effect Command?

indeed, that is why i am interested. hope more people decide to tell something about how they are using their favorite commands.

Custom LFOs are at the heart of pretty much every weird/crazy/fun/complex thing I do in Renoise.

So, my most powerful pattern command would be: LFO Reset x7yy :D

yep! :drummer:

why is it called reset and not set btw?

edit: well, i guess it makes sense.

every time i add the delay-column i am in doubt. i know i’ll only use it a couple of times, whereas the effects column i use all the time. maybe i should start using the 0Dxx effect instead of the delay column as well.

I use all pattern commands all the time :)

maybe not volume slide so much. volume slicer is pretty hard to incorporate but is very good if you get the hang of it. 0500 is also kinda tricky but mad fresh when it works.

I use 04 volume slicer a lot to create rhythmic interplay between the lead and percussion. 0E retrigger gets a lot of use, especially on drums, though the odd timings of my stuff means I really like using 4 and 5 to create off-beat stutters. I need to get out of the habit of using 0E9x though (it’s what was used for retrigger on the Amiga) and start playing with the other values. The pitch slide and arpeggio were also used quite a bit on the last EP, since it created really weird effects on the sounds I created.

I think F1xx should be mentioned, you can get some very cool effects with it, especially when using a lot of LFO’s.

01xx/02xx
bx
09xx

i love all of them. don’t use some that often but every track i make there is a certain point that really needs one certain command and makes that part come alive! haha :P

Judas H Priest! This is absolutely brilliant, I had no idea! Cheers

PS. Combined with x5yy for adjusting rudeboy wobblins!

well .just create a long sample drumloop , insert it on line 1
then go

04F3 ( plays volume at max …)
etc…
nice for gating drumloops

thanks, will try!

rightclicking lfo reset does the job :)

Reverse playback…

:ph34r:

Great thread, I never knew about the LFO reset!

I use 01xx/02xx and 0Fxx frequently because I do a lot of chiptune stuff. I should be using 00xx but I’ve never gotten the hang of it in Renoise, I use to have a decent grasp of it in Impulse Tracker. I also use 05xx occasionally for when I know exactly what note I want to glide to rather than using a 01xx/02xx command that I like to just mess around with. I don’t use 09xx too much because I usually just slice up my samples manually though it’s kind of a waste of time and space I guess.

instead of the (obvious) beatslicing, i use 09xx mainly for doing granular timestretching like this:

C-0401 – 0900
C-0401 – 0901
C-0401 – 0902
C-0401 – 0903

C-0401 – 09FC
C-0401 – 09FD
C-0401 – 09FE
C-0401 – 09FF

to do this the fast way, input your C-0401 (or whatever) on the 1st line of the pattern, select it, do Ctrl+C, Ctrl+P to fill out the pattern. next, on line 1 effect column input 0900. on the last line effect column input 09FF. click+hold effect on last line, press F9 to move to top, instantly selecting the entire pattern from 0900 till 09FF. press Ctrl+i to interpolate. press Space to play!

it’s convenient to be able to hide the delay column though.

:rolleyes: they give us shortcuts for interpolate, but no shortcuts for expand and shrink. :wacko:

09xx used to be the most important one for me, but I’ve hardly used it since slice markers were introduced. LFO reset and note repeat are my favorites now.