What Music Hardware Do You Own?

Easily Embarrassed

• Monitor Speakers: KRK RP6

• Headphones: AKG K271

• Monitorcontroller: SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2

• Hardware Synthezisers: Korg MS2000BR, Dave Smith Prophet '08, Access Virus Ti, Clavia Nordlead 2x, Roland SH-201, HS4U Hardsid, Roland Juno-106

• Drum Computers: Roland TR-505 (circuit bent), Roland TR-626, Korg Electribe ER-1

• Guitars: Fender Stratocaster, Gibson LP Dusk Tiger

• Guitar effect processor: Roland VG-99

• Large Amount of VSTs and Samplebanks

• Midi Controllers: 3 units of Cakewalk UM-3G (total of 9 midi in, 9 midi out), Novation Remote Zero SL MKII, Akai MPK49

• Audio Interfaces: RME Fireface 800, RME fireface 400

• AD/DA Converter: RME ADI-8 DS

• Systems: Main production machine - Quadcore 2,4 Ghz. Mastering machine: i7 processored laptop

• Digital Audio Workstation: Renoise

• Mastering and Mixing Software: Sonar 8.0

Light home studio setup:

generators:

Roland MC-307
Yamaha AN-200
Yamaha SU-200
Korg Monotron

turbo:

Korg Kaoss Pad 3

emitter:

Behringer UCA-202 (sh*t and cheap)

exhaust:

Edirol MA-15D (surprise soundings)

Futures:

• Edirol FA-101 or Edirol UA-101 or Roland Sonar V-Studio 100
  • Novation UltraNova
  • Roland SH-32 (old love)
  • Practical controller park (rotaries and sliders and keyboard)

Cheers
Brian Grassfield

A little update.

Synths:

VirusB
Virus TI Snow
Proteus 2000
Sammich SID

Speakers/Headphones:

ESI Near 05 Monitors
Beyer Dynamics DT990 Headphones

Audio/MIDI Interface/Controller:

MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid
M-Audio Midi Sport 2x2
M-Audio Axiom 61 (Keyboard, controller)

Computer:

DIY Build:
Intel MB
Intel i7 965 CPU
6GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Win7 x64

Emu X-board 49 and Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

not much really…

Korg R3
Korg NanoPad
Korg Wavedrum WD-X
Korg Kaoss Pad 3
Novation Ultranova
Line6 Pod X3
Line 6 Variax 300
Line 6 FBV Express MKII
CME M-Key
Duende DSP Platorm
TC Twin Impact
Behringer ADA8000
TC Voice Works
MXL 2003

Old HiFi Technics Amp and JBL LX2 Hifi Speakers
SONY MDR 7506 headphones

and a lot of virtual stuff…

E-bay is your best friend…
I use:
BCR2000
Edirol PCR-300
AKAI MPD26…latest edition, changed it from MPD16 (because of features-editing)

I got rid of most of my hardware, just because of lack of space, and the cost of electricity in the UK is getting stupid!! (But that last one probably doesn’t mean much with regard to synths).

What I have left is a Yamaha AN1x and a x0xb0x. And even they might be replaced with a midi controller instead.

I did get a new laptop out of my gear sales though :slight_smile:

(Macbook!)
M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller
M-AUDIO MK-425C MIDI controller
Akai MPD26 MIDI controller
Yamaha Audiogram 6 audio interface
Yamaha MG102C mixer
Behringer BCD3000 DJ thing
Numark turntable
Hand-me-down speakers

Next things to get/replace: Computer and audio interface and maybe speakers.

-nvm

I’ve got MPC 2500 se, MPC 500…
But i use finally just my laptop macbook with renoise…

Masterkeyb.
Akai MPK 49

Synths/Samplers
Korg MicroKorg
Korg MicroStation
Korg Electribe ESX-1
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08
Yamaha CS1X (not in use more than a decade)

Monitors/Headphones/Mic
Denon AH-D2000
Pioneer HDJ-1000
Beyerdynamic DT880
Adam A7 Nearfield-Monitors
Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic
Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Mic

Planning to obtain a Virus TI or Radikal Technologies Spectralis 2.

I am personally just discovering synth hardware. For me it’s a great source of inspirataion currently and it’s kinda funny to explore what is possible with just a little 300 EUR synth like the microstation or the very limited ESX-1 sampler, for example.
i like having boundaries - always boosts creativity.
Probably i’ll even get a dedicated hardware sequencer in order to be able to write music without having to turn on a computer.
even though i could never live without renoise, i guess i’m a bit hardware-infected at the moment.

do you by any chance follow Chris Randall’s blog over at Analogue Industries? he has been doing quite a bit of these ‘no computer’ experiments lately, you might want to check some of that out if you haven’t already.

also, for a cheap and basic but hackable and open source synth, check out the MeeBlip. i have it, assembled it myself (not much effort at all), and it can do some pretty nice stuff. plus, they’ve recently upgraded it a bit as well so the new one can do even more. i believe the price is around EUR 150 or so, pretty cheap (ah, $139 for the Quick Build Kit).

i neither heard about Chris Randall nor the MeeBlip synth before, so thanks for sharing the info.
The meeblip certainly looks interesting. It’s a welcome fact that it’s quite compact as i’m running out of space on my desks already.
Got some investigations to do now :)

@keith303: here’s a relevant blogpost from Analog Industries: http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/entry.php?blogid=1313790573737
you might know Chris Randall as the guy behind the ‘Audio Damage’ VST product line?

audio damage plugs are well known, but i didn’t know the man behind it so far.
currently listening to “smooth I” and i’m especially impressed by the detail and depth of the sound. he did an awesome job at creating a broad, broad stage with high transparency and clarity. pure quality and i’m really enjoying it.
reminds a lot of the early aphex twin stuff, without blatently immitating, which is a plus as well.

@keith303: i figured you’d appreciate his stuff. i keep up with his blog because he has a writing style i like (rude, obnoxious and honest to death :slight_smile: and knows (or at least seems to know) what he is talking about. plus, he’s always trying out new stuff, half of which i do not understand but find entertaining nonetheless.

For production:
13" black Macbook
Zoom H4n recorder
Yamaha HS80m monitors
Audio-Technica ATM-M50 headphones

For DJing:
Technics SL-1210 Mk2 turntables
Pioneer DJM-700 mixer
Technics RP-DH1200 headphones

in London:

• Cambridge Audio AM5 amplifier
  • Eltax Concept 180 speakers
  • Sony HDR-CX105E digital camcorder (for acoustic field recording)
  • M-Audio Oxygen 49 V3 keyboard (bought yesterday :w00t: )

in Poland:

• Homemade amplifier
  • Clatronic speakers
  • Beringher VMX100 mixer
  • 2x Citronic PD-1 turntables
  • E-MU XBoard49

Here’s a list of my actual equipment :

• Korg Electribe SX
  • Korg Monotron
  • Yamaha DX9
  • Also, the less instruments piece of gears : computer, Presonus Firebox audio interface, Yamaha HS50 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro headphones, Behringer BCF2000 control surface
  • On the software side : Reaper running Renoise through Rewire + a bunch of free VST plugins (plus two D16 Group VSTs I bought).

I think that’s all so far. What I want to own now is a Roland Alpha Juno, but don’t found one yet.

edit : oh I also have a M-Audio Axiom 61 but don’t use it any more as I’m not really into finding melodies with a keyboard at the moment. That’s a shame because it costed me about 260€ and think I can’t even sell it because it appeared to have a problem about one week after it came back from the maintenance… too bad, the warranty is now gone

Update:

M-Audio Oxygen 49 broke two days ago (G#2 stopped working). Got Alesis QX49 now.