Whats next for Renoise?

Hi!
Just wondered about this thing, as one old friend from the 8-bit trackers era mentioned how Buzz was killed back then, and now Renoise is seemingly feared to be heading down? Well, at least, because “no update…” yeah.

Not that I’m lacking anything, this is not a feature request time - although I’d have a lot - but I just want everyone to think about this: Renoise is the only major DAW that stands up on par among the line of todaysstandard software AND carries on the 30+ (?) year tradition of TRACKING. No other tracker made it to become a “serious” software that stands by names like FL, Ableton, etc.
I’d just not like to see it going down. I’m making game music, film music etc. in it. All today’s VST’s are at home in it. You can do full symphonic orchestra with LASS or do live minimal techno and everything inbetween.

Buzz is already a great loss, it was an audio software that made my soundcard sound as if it’s worth 1000 USD more. I know how hard it is to keep this thing up when you are not, as above mentioned, someone with great resources for this.

Thank you for Renoise.

Buzz came back from the dead, didn’t you know?

The host(don’t use x64 version)

The plugins(Just get the ones you need for a life of stability)

I also have a fear of that because Renoise is a great program and the potential for it to become obsolete scares me.

Maybe you should all focus on making great music with this program that is currently working damn near perfectly rather than focusing on your existential dread about it becoming “obsolete” at some unknown future date :drummer:

Just sayin!

Maybe you should all focus on making great music with this program that is currently working damn near perfectly rather than focusing on your existential dread about it becoming “obsolete” at some unknown future date :drummer:

Just sayin!

Being rational wont help, it`s an emotional issue

…praying for 3.2 night and day…

Rational is to say that Renoise needs an update and more of common features. You can easily validate that by comparison. Emotional is to say that Renoise was nearly perfect.

Well… For many tasks, Renoise is unfortunately obsolete to me due to not having implemented “modern” standards. That’s surely more of a practical issue than an emotional one?

1 Like

How can you measure obsolete? You can’t. All you can say is, “from my perspective, in my opinion, for what I am trying to do this software is: perfect or obsolete.”

You are not going to record the next performance of the London Philharmonic with Renoise.

You are not going to record the next performance of the London Philharmonic with Microsoft Word either.

Because you have to, “use software,” as what it is intended; but this is not limited to software - this is every music tool you have.

Certain situations call for the use of a certain compressor, a certain synth, a certain guitar, a certain daw.

Van Halen does not have one guitar. Hardly anybody has one vst. Tons of producers are using multiple daws.

“Modern Standards.”

All the best music is 20, 30, 40, and 50 years old.

As long RENOISE is around for the next 10 years I don’t care for an update :ph34r:

Me has heard sum heavy rumorz that the #PianoTroll will finally be implement in the next version. Like Trolls out of da damn Box. :panic: :walkman: :w00t:

meanwhile.. in the renoise-developers mailinglist:

Theres is no point in a pianoroll. A tracker is a tracker.

In the long term I hope renoise gets audiotracks.

In the short term I only hope for the vibrato, tremelo and autopan commands to be updated to cycle in time.

Audiotracks would be great!

Rational is to say that Renoise needs an update and more of common features. You can easily validate that by comparison. Emotional is to say that Renoise was nearly perfect.

Nobody said that, though.

You’re attempting to reference my post to make some straw-man point, but what I actually wrote was this: “this program that is currently working damn near perfectly.”

See? The adverb “perfectly” applies to the verb Working, not the noun Program / Renoise.

Furthermore, there is nothing “Rational” about making assumptions re: “common features” and whether they are “needed.” Just take a trip through any major electronic music forum or DAW forum (like here!). Everybody’s idea of “common features” is different. There was a guy freaking out in thread on here about Bitwig not having Comp / Take recording, a feature that Ableton, currently on version 10, also lacks. Everybody has different notions of Right in these matters…Irrational = one dude thinking his notion of what is “needed” is the same for everyone else, or is somehow “obvious” rather than just, yup, one more opinion from some disgruntled user on the internet.

But what you write is simply not true. On the one hand there are a lot of bugs in the current Renoise. Even the recent Redux has obvious bugs. Some bugs prevent plugins from loading, others simply will crash Renoise. Then there are bugs that were never fixed, quite a lot. If you say Renoise works nearly perfect, I would say you use only a minor subset of the functionality and simply don’t know.

“Common features” are not referring to a piano roll. It is more about easy workflow improvement. E.g. Renoise has no parallel container device, and no band split container device either. But for a modern mix, if you want to reach modern standards, a proper multi band split is required. Working here with sends which are sending to sends is a workflow mess. I improved a tool to make that kind of workflow less annoying, but still it is a mess. Then there is the repeating joke “sidechain”. Yes, sidechain is standard, there is no daw left - except Renoise - which does not support it. It is required for a lot of precise dynamics techniques, for vocoders, all kind of effects requiring two stereo inputs. Until today you still cannot record high precision automation (which is supported by Renoise, if you edit points manually). It will only write on the lines, not in between. My automation recording tool tries to fix that at least for gui controls, but it could be much more precise, if the Renoise team was improving that part. There is no other DAW out there which is such limited.

The point is, at some parts the workflow in Renoise is unnecessarily limited or simply annoying. Common features refer to a common workflow standard.

It wouldn’t surprise me if taktik someday, when writing his memoirs, revealed that he actually wishedthat virtually alluserswould become alpha testers and help the project forward in so many different ways.

Sure, but if he thought that people would go alpha, he sure didn’t publish a form for requesting alpha access.

it would be neat to get more lua api functions in. i guess any refactoring of the GUI would be a huge undertaking.

Can the developers of Renoise /mods or admins of this forum can answer this question:

Is Renoise still under development?