Which dl-source is the best (all drum machines)? Here are a few...

I’ve spent the previous days searching for a complete collection of classic drum machines, and here are some links I’ve found worth mentioning:

Hexawe

+ Very large library.
+ Quick and easy download.

- No idea if free sources have been considering upon collecting this pack, although the terms and conditions say it’s all right according to asource at this forum.

- MaxV, which is a common prefix for the samples, is said to have uneven sound quality according to some sources.

KB6

+ Probably the largest collection on the net.
+ The collector (or if he sampled them by himself) claims the samples to be free.

- Requires donation of 10 EURO to download all.
- There’s a riskthe collection might turn out to contain the same stuff - give or take - as the previous link (anyone can confirm/deny?). If not, then the other minus is not a minus anymore.

Bedroomproducerblog

+ The collector appear to be genuine regarding free sources only.

- The collection isn’t near the size of the previously mentioned.

Machines Hyperreal
+ Appears to be legit according to sources.
- Not as big collection as the above mentioned ones.

Source at Reddit
+ Big collection.
+ Renamed files for easier organizing, at least that what is stated.
- Seems to contain the MaxV samples as well, just like the first link, except that this source converted the files to 32 bit and then to 24-bit of some reason which isn’t clear. That will only make stuff worse, as the quality in the first link is 16 bit.

The-I-Hope-You-Like-Drum-Machines-XTS-Collection

+ Big collection.

- XTS format??

Does anyone know any “complete” plug-in / sample library which contain all the vintage drum machine samples (at least at the comprehensive quantity as the already mentioned sources), and which are of good and even quality?

If it means commercial products, then yes! Howeveraccording to my “investigation” (and other’s conclusions at some other forums - links can be delivered if needed), even some commercial libraries seem to have ripped free samples as well :unsure: :D. Some cases even appear to have low quality too just as some of the free ones, so I have no idea where to go right now to get the “Ultimate Drum Machine Pack”.

At the end of the day, it appears to be the same old samples circulating through free downloads and commercial downloads respectively? I’d be glad to be proven wrong though.

I don’t think there is a single source for this. I’ve amassed a few gigs of drum samples from a great many sites over the years. Unfortunately, I think a lot of these sites have disappeared. You can still find some good samples here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen/files/Sound%20Libraries/Main%20sound%20libraries/ The Forzee kit is pretty nice and I’ve used it in a number of compositions. The .h2drumkit files are just renamed .zip files and will open with a program like 7zip revealing .flac files for the samples.

As well, I don’t think you’d have any legal issues using a lot of the samples on the 'net. They’ve been passed around for quite some time and I doubt anyone really knows who owned or created them.

If I can find any of the other sources I’ve used, I’ll pass them along.

Cheers.

I don’t think there is a single source for this. I’ve amassed a few gigs of drum samples from a great many sites over the years. Unfortunately, I think a lot of these sites have disappeared. You can still find some good samples here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen/files/Sound%20Libraries/Main%20sound%20libraries/ The Forzee kit is pretty nice and I’ve used it in a number of compositions. The .h2drumkit files are just renamed .zip files and will open with a program like 7zip revealing .flac files for the samples.

As well, I don’t think you’d have any legal issues using a lot of the samples on the 'net. They’ve been passed around for quite some time and I doubt anyone really knows who owned or created them.

If I can find any of the other sources I’ve used, I’ll pass them along.

Cheers.

Thanks, your reply was a bit of a comfort I think. Glad I’m not alone.

The idea with the topic is just to enlighten the “current problem” of having a huge library with uneven sound quality. On the other hand, the resources are great either way. There are maybe not samples of all drum machines ever created, but a lot.

Thinking of that I was perhaps gonna build a .XRNI library with GM support, it’s just too typical to have some of the drum-sets in less good quailty than others. So if anyone knows even better resources to get similar samples from, just bump this topic. Otherwise I’m probably gonna go for one of the above mentioned, afaik they’re all right.

I’m glad you found my post of some use. With the dearth of vst drum machines on the market, both synth and sampled, I think folks have moved away from the “old skool” way of doing things (present Renoise users an exception!) :slight_smile: I ran across another compilation, 649M or so, that seems to contain quite a few samples. It appears legit enough (I downloaded it myself to see what was inside). You can find the link to it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1wgnbi/vintage_drums_and_keys_updated_and_reposted/ It’s a pretty comprehensive set, vintage and synth (with an astounding number of Roland samples) and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it before in another download.

As for quality, yeah, you never know. But, I’ve had very good luck bringing individual samples into Renoise and reworking them to my own sense of quality.

General Midi is about the same bag. The Musyng Kite and Evanessence soundfonts (get the .sfpack files) are huge but contain some well tweaked drum sets as well. (Ask me how I know … ) https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2B6DBE2D69541A1C&id=2B6DBE2D69541A1C!19663&parId=2B6DBE2D69541A1C!184&action=defaultclick

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you’ll find some real gems in there somewhere. Cheers.

I’m glad you found my post of some use. With the dearth of vst drum machines on the market, both synth and sampled, I think folks have moved away from the “old skool” way of doing things (present Renoise users an exception!) :slight_smile: I ran across another compilation, 649M or so, that seems to contain quite a few samples. It appears legit enough (I downloaded it myself to see what was inside). You can find the link to it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1wgnbi/vintage_drums_and_keys_updated_and_reposted/ It’s a pretty comprehensive set, vintage and synth (with an astounding number of Roland samples) and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it before in another download.

As for quality, yeah, you never know. But, I’ve had very good luck bringing individual samples into Renoise and reworking them to my own sense of quality.

General Midi is about the same bag. The Musyng Kite and Evanessence soundfonts (get the .sfpack files) are huge but contain some well tweaked drum sets as well. (Ask me how I know … ) https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2B6DBE2D69541A1C&id=2B6DBE2D69541A1C!19663&parId=2B6DBE2D69541A1C!184&action=defaultclick

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you’ll find some real gems in there somewhere. Cheers.

Regarding the Reddit link, this was already covered in the thread start ( Source at Reddit ) but thanks - good thought. The problem with that collection is that it seems to be more or less the same stuff (MaxV samples) from the very first link, only that they are converted to 24 bit (the original source files are in 16 bit) and that won’t do any good I believe.

The other link, awesome - Downloading now! Are these yours? :slight_smile:

Ah, missed your reference to the Reddit link in your top post. :blush:

As to the second, I’ve dabbled around a bit using a program called SynthFont: http://www.synthfont.com/ (which is nice program in it’s own right) on and off. When you mentioned GM, I remembered those 2 soundfont files in particular because they had some very good samples in them. However, they are not mine.

I hope they’ll be useful to you. :slight_smile:

Goldbaby does amazing sample packs, lots of drums, most - if not probably all the classic drum machines, some on tape, vinyl, etc

Fairly priced too

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz

If we can be cool about it, i think renoise people can collect (over a couple years or so,patience…) a very nice shareable resource. I just wouldn’t know where to start that thread. Is it off topic? A collab? It won’t go in uploads…

I have both of the fat tama tecstars (yeah, stupid but at $50 ea?) and … well, more you don’t even want to know,

Have got a jomox mbase 11

If we can be cool about it, i think renoise people can collect (over a couple years or so,patience…) a very nice shareable resource. I just wouldn’t know where to start that thread. Is it off topic? A collab? It won’t go in uploads…

I have both of the fat tama tecstars (yeah, stupid but at $50 ea?) and … well, more you don’t even want to know,

Not a bad idea, probably in off topic as its more production, but then it is collaborating to make a pack so perhaps collab
I have a jomox mbase 11, nice bassdrums in that