Why no text input for editing notes?

Why there is no such obvious and expected functionality like ability to type “c4” “d2”? Instead, there is that “virtual keyboard” like in Ableton where you need to find which button is responsible for which note AND also need to up/down octave each time you need it… I understand it might be more comfortable for some of you, but the lack of alternative method is leaving me puzzled. I thought that’s something super obvious for computer trackers… but looks like not!

I tried google up some discussions, but it looks like “overall majority” just prefers the way it is… Weird!

How to Enter In Notes - Help, Support & Bugs - Renoise Forums

3 Likes

Agree. One, for simple edits (change an E to an F), but also for entering chords where you know the notes and just want to enter them (E C G, for example) and not have to locate them on the QWERTY keyboard.

2 Likes

plus one could enter specific octaves too, without having to transpose (or to remember to transpose) the global octave setting back and forth. This is just common sense and it has always baffled me that it is not possible.

4 Likes

+1 it would be easier to input chords

1 Like

This can be built with a small window Lua tool. The operation would be the following:

1. Through a keyboard command you invoke a small window, which would appear in the center of the window. You can put it away in a corner.

2. If the window is not in the foreground you work with Renoise. Whether it is in the foreground or not, press the same key command again and a text box will be marked with the tool in the foreground.

3. Write 2 characters, letter and number. The tool automatically detects if it is a natural note and enters it into the pattern editor at the current note column position. If you type 3 characters, letter, - #, and number, it will detect any sustained note and enters it.

4. You will need to press a key command again to bring renoise to the foreground and continue.

In note detection, you can enter a chord of up to 12 notes if it does not take long to enter the notes correctly (a specific time between each character, which could even be customized).

In fact, such a tool would also accept keywords. For example, you type “delete”, and it deletes the entire note column. Things like that.

All of this is relatively easy to program with Lua and the API.

I thought of doing something like that, but I also figured, for me, it wouldn’t be that more efficient than using a combo of entering notes the traditional way and using the transpose commands.

Also the over reliance on Lua scripts for functions that are better off being available natively feels weird to me.

2 Likes