Why R3 is not advertised more?

Well, i just said that he had a point. Not that he was right or wrong or that you were either. Maybe he didn’t elaborate so much and I can see why.

But it is worth pointing out that renoise is strong on the sequencing side of DAWishness, whatever a DAW is defined as now. So is FL. Neither are so great on the virtual tape deck side of things. Most DAWS that are such are not such great sequencers, either. For me anyway. Sucks, ya know?

I’m one of those that came to Renoise from a ‘pro’ DAW. First, Opcode’s Studiovision Pro (very oldskool, and I considered myself a ‘guru’ in it) and then tried (for too long) to migrate to Logic (I never really got off the ground…too ‘big’, separate modules for everything, the more time I spent with it the less time I wanted to spend with it). While I’d heard about trackers since the 90’s, it wasn’t clear to me what the distinction between trackers and daws was (and I don’t really care). Being someone with a degree in Music, and using pencil and paper to write out scores at the time, SVP was the first, and for me best, implementation of linear layout with sampling. Everything, samples, midi notes, cc data, could be visualized in one window if necessary, or in separate tracks, as needed, or even a list view. Logic, and other daws like it have since metastasized into overwrought environments, often trying to model the recording console ever more precisely, where capabilities may have grown, but navigation and simultaneous data-visualization of different types have tended to suffer.

For me, it all boils down to workflow. Whether its vertical visualization or horizontal visualization or whatever is beside the point if the tool helps me get real-time control over sounds, and lets me get my ideas down quickly. That’s what brought me to Renoise. I stumbled across it completely by accident, but was immediately struck by its…immediacy, which I was missing in Logic. Renoise is the first daw to come around (that I’m aware of) that has the promise of giving me back the immediacy I enjoyed with my old-skool SVP with the ability to still do note-level editing. The emphasis on keyboard-driven operation was also an attraction, as I’ve always used macros to automate as much as possible, so I knew Renoise was something I needed to investigate. Tool extensions completely sold me (just bought a Launchpad to get into Live Dive and Duplex). And I haven’t been disappointed yet.

Lastly, Renoise (for me) has the promise of being both a compositional as well as a live-performance tool. Not many daws can lay claim to that…at $75 bucks a pop, no less. I’m still a beginner in Renoise, but the fact that I’m still excited to explore what it can do means a lot. Its keeping me in the game when I could just as well do something else with my (limited) time. Whatever these devs are smokin, I’m diggin the results!

Of course I am a girl. I can be anything you want me to be.

Maybe after I really got into all the corners of FL. Still have to learn a whole lot, find out a lot of things and get used to a lot of things. And then I’ll probably combine some things.

hey fellow op-1’er! I had the same problem with xp, windows 7 and now on windows 8. not sure what the problem is. when I said “import” into renoise I meant that I open the tape files in audacity and save them as wav. files then they open fine in renoise. not sure what the problem is. here’s a related thread:

Obviously we need to build a bot to spam kitchen enthusiast forums with Renoise ads.

Kitchens by Renoise

For those who like chopping and cutting beets

To me Renoise is a visionary tool.
That’s the problem.

His unique way to mangle sounds, samples, his User Interface, etc… are inspiring and twisted in a good way.

But, the lack of very basic stuff is frustrating and most of the time I started a project in Renoise I abandoned or switched to a more “traditional” piece of software because of his limitations in the “sameness” area.
I am a professional sound designer musician and mix-engineer, and I have to admit that Renoise is the only piece of software I can’t use for clients or payed projects. ( A client can ask “well done: I like… let’s move a little bit things around, just to feel the groove a little bit more…”… WHAT??? no groove quantize or piano roll???" R U KIDDING? Logic Notator on Atari St had that… :slight_smile: )
It’s like having a very beautiful minimalistic and futuristic room where all the strange stuff happens but you have no chairs to sit down.

Two examples?
The sampler:
powerful, beautiful, etc… the access of samples in the pattern editor is brilliant but… the modulation matrix? Every sampler has one, except for this one! My old '87 Akai s900 had one!

The meta-devices:
incredibly versatile, unique, etc… but where is my side-chain?

Sure, you can solve any issues with some degrees of shortcut, but you can also play drums with a flute instead of sticks…

… Renoise is a great piece of mankind… but no way to produce every kind of music I have in my head…

With Renoise is very easy to make twisted things and very “twisted” (or even impossible) to make easy things.

…And most of the times my ideas are easy.

There’s no way to play chords with a Minimoog… so maybe a Minimoog is not the best way to play chords… :slight_smile:

I love Renoise in the same way I love Picasso.

Peace and Love :yeah:

But there is Groove tool that is amazing for adding groove…

Is less than amazing since he can’t extract groove from audio like any others (Logic, Protools, reason, Cubase, Ableton, …, )or manage velocities. It is a simple delay line per sub-beat. ;)

I don’t care about comparing Renoise to everything else - i just make music - it’s a tool, nothing more

Why can you not make all types of music in Renosie? I Don’t get it.

Just finished of my Pegboard Nerds Remix, everything is done in Renoise exclusively:

Hi C-zar
I agree with you.
Renoise is a tool and you CAN make any kind of music with Renoise.
All I say is not the best tool for some stuff like exploring harmonies (the Piano Roll is a must have in that area, even better a comparative Piano Roll with different tracks on a same view), or simple programming (i.e. there’s no way to tell the sampler to modulate the attack of an adsr envelope via the velocity)

I imagine somebody is producing and mixing a 60 piece orchestra with it, but… I repeat… is too way simpler with any other DAW. I can’t imagine Hans Zimmer using it, or even Orbital except for their acid house stuff.

By the way… you remix sounds nice and sexy but is not a proof that you can do anything with it. To the contrary… that is a kind of music I can imagine easily doable with our beloved instrument called Renoise…

Peace and Love…
:yeah:

That is actually possible since 3.0. Sample start is what still cannot be modulated.

Really?
How?

This is not the sound of native Renoise. You’re at least using heavily pre-processed samples. Of course you’re very welcome to post an XRNS, achieving that sound from scratch with dry, basic samples. Good luck! You’ll need it.

Well obviously there are some pre-processed samples from the remix stems and then there are VSTi and other samples.
What i was trying to say is that it was made by only using Renoise and no other tools or daws. And most of the tracks contain just built in filters.

To be “Native” renoise u can only use dry samples ? wtf :)

Stop seeing the limitations and start to explore the possibilities :)

Well, that’s what the discussion was about. The sound that can (or can not) be achieved with native Renoise for a demo track, while at the same time demonstrating the capabilities of Renoise itself.

I’m not seeing limitations only and I’m not overlooking possibilities. I first of all come across requirements to achieve a whole range of sounds and sounds in particular. And trying to meet those requirements I come along possibilities in Renoise and also limitations and lacks. I’m not searching for limitations, I simply come across them. For some purposes specially considering dance music production way too often.

I was actually just trying to set it up for the first time, to then explain it to you. I could not manage to do so. Clearly I am missing something here, since doing stuff like this is of course the whole point of the new implementation of the modulations in the sampler. So if anyone else could give the exact procedure, that would be great. In general, you will need to make a modulation set in which you use a velocity tracker and assign this to the attack of the adsr.
Again, if someone could give the exact steps please, I am also curious now :slight_smile: Seems overly complicated to achieve.