Windows 10 Compatibility/Info Thread

Looks like it’s still on for July 29 after all:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/6/8899919/microsoft-windows-10-rtm

Slightly off-topic (but perhaps not), does anyone here have a recommend for ASIO that is known to be Windows 10 compatible? I’m using ASIO4ALL at the moment, but there is nothing on their site/forums/etc. about Windows 10, and I suspect people here might be able to recommend a general, better ASIO driver.

Imagine they will update ASIO4ALL (or maybe it doesn’t need an update? I’m ignorant) but figured this might be a chance to try something new anyway. . .

TIA!

Slightly off-topic (but perhaps not), does anyone here have a recommend for ASIO that is known to be Windows 10 compatible? I’m using ASIO4ALL at the moment, but there is nothing on their site/forums/etc. about Windows 10, and I suspect people here might be able to recommend a general, better ASIO driver.

Imagine they will update ASIO4ALL (or maybe it doesn’t need an update? I’m ignorant) but figured this might be a chance to try something new anyway. . .

TIA!

I don’t think you have to worry about that anymore:http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/07/21/why-microsofts-windows-10-audio-and-midi-apis-are-a-big-deal/

What Microsoft Have Done

Windows 10 has standardised the program structure and audio and MIDI APIs (programming interface that developers use to hook into OS level functions). So what? Well as we are told - this means that now developing for Windows 10 means you can access ALL Windows 10 devices from the same codebase. Thats, phones, desktops, tablets, Raspberry Pi 2 (it will run 10 too) - could run a single application. They say their aim is to reach up to1 Billion devicesin the first 1-2 years.

This is a bold move and is aimed at encouraging developers to start working on applications to work for Windows 10. In addition for the first 12 months of release of Windows 10 from 7, 8, 8.1 then its going to be a free upgrade.

MIDI API- also available across all Windows 10 devices - this new API allows multi-client access to single MIDI hardware, new jitter-free operation, plus other bug fixes - we hope they embrace the RTP MIDI (over the network too)

Audio Stack Optimisation- new low latency priority operation rather than previous priorities of battery life etc. 15ms shaved off the WDM and WASAPI off the bat.

Additionally application developers can access and define minimum buffer sizes to generate latencies. On the phone OS, thats gone down from over 100ms to “tens of ms”.

Audio Core Optimisation- it will now be possible to define and isolate all the core audio processing to a single core, meaning no other processes will be able to interrupt the stream.

New Codecs- FLAC and ALAC for Apple device support which means less “unsupported media type”. Web Audio is also added.

Probably you all are in need of winuae and bars & pipes.

I don’t think you have to worry about that anymore:http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/07/21/why-microsofts-windows-10-audio-and-midi-apis-are-a-big-deal/

Awesome. Thanks for the info mars! I’m very tenuously getting a smidge excited about Windows 10 (never thought I’d say that about Windows anything tbh). The work being done on the visual side of things is purportedly supposed to increase performance in signfiigant ways too (specifically, in ways that might benefit VR).

Before Windows 7 I too didn’t expect I’d ever say anything positive about Microsoft but then things started changing. Still, we need to remember that it’s Microsoft, they can still very much $#%& things up :smiley:

Some things will get better, some things will get worse. Right now it appears that they just still don’t give a damn about people who want the wireless profile manager back, that they just inexplicably removed for Windows 8. You have to use the command prompt instead. Kind of blows my mind. What possible reason could there be for removing this basic functionality?

Probably the same they had for removing start menu :wink:

mars.64 that’s some nice info, now I’d love to see this in practice.

t35513r asio4all works just fine, and if your device doesn’t have its own native asio driver, you won’t find anything better than a4a (right now I don’t think you could find any alternative at all really)

Thnx 0xrns! Ok, very good to know - a4a works fine anyway, so if it ain’t broke . . . .

Edit: I don’t know why, but I find the dog in your signature mesmerizing. Every time I come across a thread with your posts I end up going into a trance for a few seconds staring at it. . .

2 more days left. The question is, do I give the new start menu a chance or just immediately replace it with Classic Shell?

Well, about to go to work, hopefully the upgrade preserves my chrome remote desktop because i’m going yolo windows 10 upgrade.

Well, about to go to work, hopefully the upgrade preserves my chrome remote desktop because i’m going yolo windows 10 upgrade.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Well it just, failed, and windows update refuses to try it again and just finds no updates. So then, I’m going to run this tool and see how it goes:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Mmphm. Crappy. BTW, I didn’t know about this until just now but here’s some info on making sure Windows 10 doesn’t share your Wifi password w/all your outlook/skype/facebook contacts. (not to say there might not be some use in it - I can see the convenience of having friends able to access home wifi n’such w/out having to tell them the password, but also could see this as a total avenue to be exploited down the road. . . or maybe I’m just paranoid!!!)

Mmphm. Crappy. BTW, I didn’t know about this until just now but here’s some info on making sure Windows 10 doesn’t share your Wifi password w/all your outlook/skype/facebook contacts. (not to say there might not be some use in it - I can see the convenience of having friends able to access home wifi n’such w/out having to tell them the password, but also could see this as a total avenue to be exploited down the road. . . or maybe I’m just paranoid!!!)

On that note, I just came across this post, today:http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

“as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.”

What could go wrong with that? At least now we know why they are offering it for free for a limited time, they get their money’s worth and then some :wink:

It’s always this problem with privacy on the internet - one one hand it’s obvious it’s just a matter of time before there’s absolute zero privacy and everything is thoroughly interconnected. On the other hand, privacy is a right as well as property and it needs to be fought for and protected. It’s more black and white when stuff like wi-fi and e-mail passwords get sent which is just asking for trouble.

First few attempts just straight failed. Trying it again, as I’ve been trying to do it remotely from work during down time, of which I’ve had a collect total of like 5 minutes today including lunch. Don’t know if there was an error or what, I think a storm knocked my power out for second or something because my computer was off. We’ll see.

What’s annoying is every fucking time I try it it has to re-download the entire thing. Why? Seriously, why? It’s just a microsoft thing, I see that with windows updates all the time too. If a computer has 150 updates or whatever to install, it downloads 150 updates and then tries to install, then if 140 fail I have to reboot and re download all 140 over again even though they’ve already downloaded once.

edit: now that I’m home and can baby sit it, if it fails this time I’ll try the create media option and see if you can upgrade from that or if it’s just for clean installs.

edit: sometimes the installer just fucking skips over the “choose what you want to keep” part and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t know… so inconsistent, I’m really disappointed that this process didn’t “just work” with all the bullshit they did with forcing win10 icons on everyone’s system tray.

Time to try media creation now, because every time I run this it just says “Something happened Windows 10 installation has failed”

I’ll stick to Win7 for now. Despite what some of the hacks in the industry have said, Win10 isn’t ready for prime time. I did 20+ years in IT and I’ve always waited at least 6mos or more before doing a major OS update. Even now, M$ is shoveling out patches as fast as they can write them. http://www.fiercecio.com/story/microsoft-pushes-out-rapid-fire-series-patches-windows-10-release-nears/2015-07-28

Well I have tried every fix I could find in every forum I could find, shit’s just broke yo. Does not fucking work no matter what I do.

We definitely need some OS competition on the market…