Windows 10 Compatibility/Info Thread

Well I think I’ve finally got past the problem by running the install from the bootable media. Not by booting from it, but just by making the bootable media and then running the .exe on it.

edit: spoke too soon that didn’t work either.

Damn, man, WTF M$? Also noticed the re-download issue (for updates and such) - makes 0 sense (particularly when, like with something like, the file sizes are MASSIVE). . .

Also also - you aren’t the first person to talk about the “Something Happened” error message. . .WHAT KIND OF ERROR MESSAGE IS THAT?!!!

Hope you get it working soon - this has def put me off trying to install until further down the line.

I’ve also read not so great things about compatibility with nvidia cards, I’m hoping that doesn’t end up an issue, but we’ll see. Per some random comment I’m trying sfc /scannow.

edit: Still fails. I also tried skipping over the download updates step. No dice. Just wow microsoft. I’m sure there’s just some legit understandable reason why it can’t install, but holy mother of unhelpful error messages batman I’d sure like to know what it is.

Something happened.

Can someone help me?

I own a laptop that has a legit Windows 7 on it. I want to buy a new SSD HD and clean install Windows 10 on it.

Everything I’m reading says I have to upgrade from my existing Windows 7…

?

Nevermind, found it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Cheers.

I believe the only way to get Win10 is a Win7 or Win8 upgrade now that the roll out has begun. So, you’ll have to install Win7 on your new HD first, then do the upgrade. Depending on where your installable copy of Win7 is, on a “hidden” partition on your original HD or on CDROM media, it could be tricky to get it on your new SSD HD. If your copy of Win7 is on a HD partition, here’s a link that will step you through making an install disk or USB device so you can load it onto your SSD HD: http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how-to-install-windows-7-without-the-disc.html

Cheers.

So glad I decided to keep Windows 7 :slight_smile:

Well my last attempt didn’t go so well, completely fucked my Windows 8.1 install. Repair install fails, refresh fails. That’s ok, I made an Acronis backup. OR CAN I? Oh wait, what’s that, my backup isn’t there for some reason? I can find it with “Everything” but it’s just not there so it’s corrupt or something.

Let’s top that off with my router dying in the same night.

_<

Just got back from walmart, new router installed, and got my windows 8.1 installed, gotta reinstall all my drivers, and you know, my everything ever. All of the things. I do have all my data because I back up everything to cloud and external hard drives, and my C:\ didn’t have much more than windows and software, I installed everything I could on other drives. sigh

Maybe Windows 10 will install now.

Well one way or another, it is finally installing properly.

edit: And finished. Successfully running Windows 10. Figured I’d knock that out before spending my day off tomorrow rebuilding my computer. Oh and I need to redownload Renoise too and rebuild my settings and hotkeys because that is one thing I didn’t back up. But not a big deal really, I’m just glad I finally got it working. I’ll report back with my loves, my hates, and my this doesn’t work yets.

edit: Scarlett Focusrite drivers work fine, didn’t even have to reinstall them after the upgrade, they were just there and working. I did have to go grab the windows 10 version of my nvidia drivers. The only motherboard driver I’d installed before was to get my NIC working so I have all that to go through, although, everything is working fine. Device manager is unhappy about a couple of items, I’ll get that squared away no problem though.

One pleasant surprise is that you can use cortana with a local account. I recall from the preview that you had to use a microsoft account, and I wasn’t super happy about it.

edit: wait, is it trying to convert my local account to a microsoft account? over my dead body microsoft.

edit: That’s seriously what it’s doing. The way it’s worded is sneaky, but if you try to use cortana and it asks you to log in to your microsoft account, it’s wanting to convert your local into a microsoft account. NO microsoft, I just don’t want to do that, and I shouldn’t have to do it. Not that it’s a bad idea but it’s not fully cooked yet and there’s plenty of situations where you still wouldn’t want to use one. It’d be so soooo much better to be able to just sign into JUST cortana with the microsoft account.

“edit: wait, is it trying to convert my local account to a microsoft account? over my dead body microsoft.”

You will be assimilated into M$ whether you like it or not and Win10 is the tool. 95% of users won’t care I imagine, but some of us “old timers” do. I’m not alarmist, but “hell no”. :slight_smile:

Personally, I will either convert to an Ubuntu system, or buy an iMac before I install Win10.

Cheers.

I actually like the idea of it, I just don’t think it’s practical yet. What if I have a massive profile with tons of data? Maybe when google fiber is everywhere it’ll be fine but right now it’s not fucking fine.

edit: and I don’t necessarily need the same setting synced to every computer i’d log into my microsoft account with. I’d actually tried a long time ago to go with a microsoft account but there were too many annoyances and I converted it to a local account and like it much better.

So I upgraded and I’m asking myself why I bothered.

95% of the features I don’t use, Edge meh… Cortana feels like an expanded desktop Bing, turned it off…

Virtual desktops are good though.

And I guess the Kernel changes will help performance some, DirectX 12 too since I game occasionally.

It upgraded everything fine, no audio problems at all.

But the interface is a complete mess. No consistency at all and the icons look like someone from Fisher Price designed them :confused:

Might roll back to Windows 7. It feels like Windows 8.2.

If you’re a bing hater like me you’re going to need this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bing2google/mgoehlfmhfafaiepckjikpphoklijedl

Seriously I have to hack resource files to change the title bar colour? Fuck that Microsoft.

And what happened to Aero?

No wonder its free.

Ok so, if you want different wallpapers across your monitors, you now have to run a command prompt command to access the menu in which you can set it. Why? Who the fuck knows. But run this to get into the control panel setting that you can do it from:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

Review so far: it’s ok. I don’t feel blown away. It definitely feels under-cooked, and there definitely some things that I think are just stupid, but there are also some good ideas. I’m giving new start menu a shot, and once I remove all the default pinned items and replace them with my own it’s kind of ok. I feel like the default tile size is too large, but changing them to small is perfect. I haven’t found a way to change multiple tiles at the same time, and I don’t think there is a way, but that’s not too big of a deal.

Start search works better than in 8 for sure. In 7 and with classic shell, you could type just part of a word or the first word of a string and almost always be able to find what you’re looking for, but with 8’s start search it’s a coin toss and you often end up having to put in multiple words for it to find something. So far in 10 it works the way I feel like it should.

I did try out signing in with a microsoft account just to see what Cortana could do. Here’s my review of that: she’s fucking useless. You can, for example, tell cortana to launch a program, but that’s really pointless because there’s never any way to interact with the program once it’s launched. Sometimes it even launches the program behind other programs and you have to click on it to bring it to the foreground. Other than opening programs, 90% of voice commands I tried just made cortana do a bing search for whatever I said. “Hey cortana, close google chrome” >>>bing searches for close google chrome>>> okkkkk… Get a Outlook calendar notification “hey cortana, dismiss this notification” >>>bing searches for dismiss this notification. Like… am I just being to hard on them here? I’m not expecting to be able to do complex tasks with voice commands here but the second you have to do something with your hands the voice commands you used to get to that point become completely and utterly pointless. I’d like to be able to control Netflix by yelling out commands, or something like that. Just anything that would be useful in a situation where I’m not using the keyboard and mouse. Otherwise it seems kind of pointless.

They appear to still be trying to phase out the control panel, but they’re just not replacing some features. There are some things in control panel that they want you to use settings menu for instead, so they hide that part from you in control panel, but it’s still there if you know how to get to it, it’s just hidden.

I will say this though: so far, zero software compatibility issues. Everything has just worked. Drivers work. Hardware works. Software works. Everything just works. Which is good. Which is why I say so far my review of Windows 10 is that it’s “just ok”. It does what it’s supposed to do for the most part. It gets rid of the ridiculous full screen bullshit from windows 8, it brings back the start menu but actually makes an effort to make it better and more modern, not just merely different. If you’re on the edge about switching, I’d say… eh, sure, go for it, but make a backup image first.

I encourage folks to read this short excerpt from the Windows 10 EULA and give serious thought to the implications BEFORE you upgrade (the bold text is my accentuation):

From MicroSoft’s Windows 10 EULA:

“Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.”

This is only a small part of the 12,000 word EULA and not in a complete context. In all fairness, you can opt-out of most of what you’ve involuntarily been opted in to some extent. All it takes is wading through 13 pages of security/privacy options (yes, 13 pages) and then deleting your MicroSoft account. You can then recreate an account if you wish, without all the personal info Win10 sent along.

Cheers.

Windows 7 + Launchy + VirtuaWin

Is there a real working firewall for win10, with full control over outgoing connections? (Besides zone alarm of course :wink: )

Maybe open-source?

Is there a real working firewall for win10, with full control over outgoing connections? (Besides zone alarm of course :wink: )

Maybe open-source?

No more or less than any previous version of windows, just the standard windows firewall.