Windows 32bit and 64bit support on Linux with vst-bridge

You just have to extract the vst24 into the right folder in vst-bridge. For /usr/include/sys/uio.h you need to install glibc-devel or something like this on your distribution.

Thanks. I have that installed, but the files are all in different locations than the make file or gcc is looking for them. I copied the uio.h file, but now it can’t find <asm/types.h> and so I guess I need to figure out what is wrong with my include paths. (Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit).

Maybe you also need linux-headers or something like this. I think that it is also included in some ubuntu basic development meta package.

HI guys, this is my 1st post as a Renoise user. IM just learning the ropes, but enjoying the learning curve of this great daw.

anway i have been using the vst-bridge on my linux ubuntu machine with good success so far (" apart from getting Crystall vst(i) to run ", but thats another matter! ")

I would suggest to the OP to maybe add that instead of editing your ~/.bashrc file it is also possible to save your " bridged " vst’s into created folder named ~/.vst and they ill bge picked up by REnoise… Obviously you can symlink this hidden folder to a regular ~/vst folder and place your vst’s both bridged or otherwise origian .dll files if you are running perhps more than just 1 daw … a typical command for creating this would be:- mkdir ~/.vst ~/vst && ln -s ~/vst ~/.vst

Another thing that would be great if the devs could look at the vestige libs and in particular the 1s with the linux daw named LMMS or Linux MultiMedia Studio , and hopefully use these instead of having to rely on the steinberg ( proprietary ) sdk …

thanks Mikobuntu

Man, somehow I missed this one when it came out. Probably because also around the time it came out, I switched from Ubuntu to OSX. Crazy isn’t it? I wonder if there is a way to get this to work on OSX? Probably not because it appears the vst-bridge.so is Linux specific.

My current solution is to run two versions of Renoise, native OSX (most of the time) and Windows version through Wine (when I need windows vst’s)… But it would be -awesome- to run the windows vst’s straight out of the OSX version. Unfortunately I haven’t found a solid solution for this yet

Hi can someone have a look at my pastebin results of a failed make for vst-bridge. i have successfully installed it on my 64bit machine running ubuntu 12.04, this failure is on 32but 12.04… i have wine-dev installed and i believe all the other required libs, but i seem to be missing something thanks :_

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6447686/

Did you use the version from git?
What version of g++ and wineg++ do you have?

yes i have used the .git version , g++4.6 and maybe this is the problem, when i search wine on synaptic i don’t see a wineg++ package … ???

edit:- a bit of googling shows me i need g++ mingw packages installed, but im having ‘unresolvable dependencies’ issues, i will see if i can sort this out thanks

abique@boby:~> p -Qo wineg++
/usr/bin/wineg++ is owned by wine 1.7.6-1
abique@boby:~> p -Qo g++
/usr/bin/g++ is owned by gcc-multilib 4.8.2-4

I’ll have a deeper look into your issue in a few hours.

ok thanks for spending time on this issue, much appreciated!!! note i have wineg++ installed, which seems to be a shortcut to winegcc.
and also have gcc-multilib-4:4.6.3-1 version … any other info you need i can supply thanks once again …Mikobuntu

Current vst-bridge user here. Some notes as of Nov 25, 2013:

• Synth1, Crystal, Harmless and Harmor confirmed working. For Harmless and Harmor you will need to install additional fonts to get some text to show up.
  • When you open the external editor, there’s a stray window that appears. Actually, that stray window is the X11 window for the vst-bridge plugin as created by Renoise. The other window (the one that houses the actual external editor you use) is opened by the host side of vst-bridge through Wine. This has a few side effects: To close the external editor, you must close both windows. Additionally, if you close the stray window, the Wine external editor window becomes unresponsive. The Wine window is also not bound to Renoise as a utility window so it will go behind Renoise unless you make it always on top through your window manager. It might be nice to explore some methods of making this less annoying. We could try to hide the vst-bridge dummy window and reparent the Wine window to Renoise, or perhaps there is a way to embed a Wine application within an X11 window? Is this something that Wine will let us do?
  • If you want to get stereo audio out of your plugins you will need to use the latest revision from git. You might need to revert host.cc to an earlier version though, because it looks like some debug code was committed by accident.

It would be nice if we had a binary version so that users wouldn’t have to sign up for a dev account and download the VST SDK just to use vst-bridge. Of course this would mean certain obligations toward a certain company whose name begins with an S. It would have been a whole lot nicer if VST had been an open standard. I don’t understand why a freely downloadable SDK need be placed behind a registration wall like this.

Hi Dattorz,

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll cleanup up debug messages of vst-bridge.

For the VST yes, it sucks that it requires license agreement. Maybe someone should start something similar to VST so people can support it very easily and port their plugins to a new yet equivalent plugin format.

Actually, I was referring to the return 0; you placed under case audioMasterGetTime: which broke a few synths (could only be played from the VST’s own keyboard). Removing that fixes said synths.

Hi there,

abique, thanks a lot for your amazing work! Since I am reinventing my bedroom-studio, I am giving your vst-bridge a try.
Also, I would like to help improving it, and if it’s only by writing bug reports :)/>

Ah well, since I mentioned it:

I am trying to get discoDSPs Discovery Pro Demo to work.
Building the bridged .so worked fine, renoise (3.0b3) accepts the plugin but instantiating the vst in renoise fails. Console tells me

Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Analyzing VST plugin 'discoDSP: DiscPro64', Unique ID:1146115684, Version:2400  
Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Instantiate OK  

The GUI just freezes, until jack complains. Nothing else happens.
Another plug (sfz+), which I started before, still responds.
Shutting down renoise via Ctrl-C however works.

I also happened to start DiscoveryPro via fshost64 before.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Chris

Hello, I’ll have a look :)

Hi again,

I tried a different member-demo of the discoDSP family, it didn’t work either.
The ‘anoying little wine window’ does not show up, as it does with other plugins.

I was wondering, which wine version, that means, which WINEPREFIX, does vst-bridge use?

It uses the default WINEPREFIX.

Ah, thanks, good to know.

Another quirk I noticed, r3b3’s GUI seems to freeze, when I enter fullscreen mode and try to change something in the external editor. Have to force-quit then.
VST was synth1.

so let me get this straight… i can run my windows vst plugins on my linux version of renoise without having to run the windows version of renoise in wine? if this is true, its exactly what i need! while windows renoise runs pretty damn good on wine the linux version just runs so much better, but i havent been using it cuz it wont run my windows vst plugins. oh man im salivating.

Yeah, thats exactly the deal. I also tried wine>renoise, but it eats more than twice the CPU as the linux version :)

Ah, and also, no usb-midi-controller in wine was the dealbreaker for me…