Windows 32bit and 64bit support on Linux with vst-bridge

Guys just I’m preparing to move from Paris to Lausanne (Switzerland), so I won’t be able to spend too much time on it right now, but expect me to have a look at this the next week.

Also pressure your VST authors to port their stuff to linux ;)

Of course, first things first.

PLEASE JOIN IN!

ok, so im running into issues… im using fedora 20 x86_64 and i’ve installed all the right required apps (wine-devel, glibc, glibc-devel, libgcc, and copied the steinberg vst sdk into the vstsdk2.4/ folder) and it starts to compile and then gives me this error…

/usr/bin/ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/lib64/wine/libwinecrt0.a(exe_entry.o)) to format elf32-i386 (vst-bridge-host-32.GS5PQ0.o) is not supported
winebuild: /usr/bin/ld failed with status 1
winegcc: winebuild failed
make[1]: *** [vst-bridge-host-32.exe] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/git/vst-bridge/host’
make: *** [all] Error 2

im at a loss of what i should do next. any ideas?

nevermind i figured it out :) apparently you need to have both the 64bit AND 32bit versions of wine-devel, glibc, glibc-devel, libgcc or else it wont seem to cross compile

Yes that’s it :)

Does a .deb file exist of vst bridge anywhere? I am lost in compiling hell! thanks!

i doubt it, the vst-bridge needs alot of libs and reqs to be compiled. what issues are you having? i will try my best to help you :)

Thanks Subvertive! I appreciate it.

I’ve got Ubuntu 12.04 installed with jack realtime and wine but I am not sure what I need :)/>/>/> Do I use Synaptic nowadays -----edit: Yes I need Synaptic from reading this post…ok…so far…

Where can you find out what extra libraries are required? How do I install 32 and 64 bit libraries? ( If that is what is required ?)

Is there a readme around that explains this ? Saves you having to type things to me!

I basically went into the folder with vst bridge installed and then did sudo ./configure then make ( that is the norm isn’t it) but I got this error: I am missing something arent’ I?

Thank you for trying to help me! I love linux but when you get stuck, you really get stuck.

make[1]: Entering directory /home/m/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3/maker' gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe -Wfloat-equal -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -g maker.c -lmagic -o vst-bridge-maker maker.c:12:19: fatal error: magic.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. make[1]: *** [vst-bridge-maker] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/m/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3/maker’
m@mquadub12:~/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3$

Can someone provide a list of dependencies required to build this?

I have successfully compiled this twice on ubuntu 13.10 but spent a lot of time finding dependencies. If i compile it again i will get a list of links to dependencies for compiling this

How do you know which dependencies to use? I can’t see it in the documentation…I am sure it’s my bad no one elses :)

I also use ‘AV Linux’ which is a very good distro based on Debian…god knows how to get vst bridge working under that!

I like Ubunutu 12.04 as my nvidia card works…but getting wineasio working is a no no at the moment …that is another subject!

basically, the only way i found out how to find which libraries to use is by running the configure script and reading what it said was causing it to fail…

make[1]: Entering directory /home/m/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3/maker' gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe -Wfloat-equal -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -g maker.c -lmagic -o vst-bridge-maker maker.c:12:19: fatal error: magic.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. make[1]: *** [vst-bridge-maker] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/m/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3/maker’
m@mquadub12:~/vstbridge/vst-bridge-0.3$

by this it says that you need magic.h… you can find the proper header (a header is a .h file if you dont know) in the libmagic package. i would suggest installing the libmagic-devel (development) package i dont use ubuntu (i cant stand it so i use fedora) on a 64 bit laptop, that is why i have to install BOTH the 32 and 64 bit libs. since the vst-bridge is written for 32 bit, you will only need the 32 bit drivers if your computer isnt 64bit. in fedora when i goto my package manager i would search for libmagic and it would give me a list like this…

┌────[matthew@somniferum]───────[16:27:10]───────[~]────
└──> sudo yum search libmagic
[sudo] password for matthew:
Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
============================ N/S matched: libmagic =============================
perl-File-LibMagic.x86_64 : Perl wrapper/interface for libmagic
file-libs.i686 : Libraries for applications using libmagic
file-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for applications using libmagic

and i would install both the .686 and .x86_64 packages (i686 means its 32bit). when you run configure and it errors out just look for the line “maker.c:12:19: fatal error: ******: No such file or directory” and google for whatever it says is missing. thats the easiest way and since most people these days run ubuntu or an ubuntu-clone, youll most likely find someone that has posted a very similar question and solution.

i hope this helps. if you have any other questions i check this forum daily so just feel free to ask :) goodluck

Thanks for taking the time out to explain that Subvertive…I think you have given me enough info to try and solve it …maybe one day we will have an easy way of running windows vsts on Linux for newbies…anyway we should be grateful someone has written this software…anyway thanks again ok!

I’m quite interested why you can’t stand Ubuntu…

you’re welcome, pixelblip. i hope you get it running. why cant i stand ubuntu? well, for one i started out on linux
about 10 years ago, before all this user friendly auto-configure stuff when linux was very frustrating lol. ubuntu
makes linux so ‘user friendly’ and so ‘easy’ that it is actually harder for more advanced users. it takes all of the
advanced features linux has and hides them, making them really hard to access which also makes it hard for new linux
users to learn. 10 years ago you just had to dive into linux and basically sink or swim… you had to learn alot if
you wanted linux to work at all. they also pack ubuntu with a bunch of unneeded crap that just slows the system down.
i do however think that ubuntu is great in the fact that it is bringing hordes of new users to linux which in turn is
making more software available and making large companies to take notice and start making software for linux… like
the steam game software. i cant wait till we have bad ass games for linux.

I understand your point…I can feel it is slower than debian…but from my point of view - I spent a whole afternoon trying to get my nvidia card working under Debian! That is time out from making music! You shouldn’t have to spend all afternoon on something simple like this :)/> I felt like tearing my hair out.

I am sure there are many people around who don’t want to use OS X or buy apple, don’t want windows…( what a headache windows can be!) …so Linux is the saving grace for us all.

This vst bridge thing looks really good but I am afraid it had me beat…so I went back to windows! Perhaps I will go back again in a few weeks when time permits…you just need patience. Anyway thanks for your assistance by the way.

you think thats bad? i spent over a year trying to get a 56kbps modem to work in the mid 1990s lol. i tried many many
modems, and i could get em to dial up but connecting was a diff. story. well, good luck.

Hey there!

Sorry to come back so late, I just got internet :slight_smile:
Congratz you found that libmagic was a dependancy :slight_smile:

Hi Abique

If there’s any info you might have to aid compiling it would be really useful…I’ve installed libmagic devel and it still won’t compile…I don’t know where to go next :)

I will try again soon…if I find out I will let everyone know ok.

Hi pixelblip,

Can you paste you build logs to http://88.191.147.34:11013/ ?

Thanks.

Hi Abique
Sorry for not replying sooner…just keep falling asleep after long days at work :(

I’ll have another go today at re-compiling as I’ve installed KXStudio this time around - let’s see if I can solve it…thanks for your help…I will report back.

No worries :wink: