Windows 7 x64 support for future releases

Exactly!

Considering this exact same jumpā€¦ what were the hardest changes in your case?

Iā€™m super happy on Win7 now (dedicated offline music computer), and the only reason I need to upgrade Windows as far as I know, would be to get better support for vector scaling of the Renoise GUI and plugsā€¦

FLStudio 21 should have Skin Supportā€¦ If no Renoise update comming for Win7 Users, i will change to it.

What about keep using the latest Renoise version which supports Win7? Do you really want to use a piano roll program because of Win7, which wonā€™t be supported in future by anything else, too? Nothing lasts forever, one day you will have to face it either way.

I donā€™t feel like a victim. You can disable most of the data transfer to Microsoft if you know how. Of course a victim wouldnā€™t have a clue how to do that, but there are people who can help out. :wink:

How do you pay your purchases? Credit card? Bank card? No cash? Well, you know what that means, right? Yes, everything you buy is registered. Youā€™re an open book. If you donā€™t want to get spied you always have to pay cash, which isnā€™t possible in terms of online purchases. And how do you surf through the internet? Do you use Google? Congratulations, every single word youā€™re searching for is registered. Do you allow cookies? Well thenā€¦ And donā€™t forget about social media like Facebook and so on! Are you in? THIS is a spy soft, and people are using it voluntarily. Do you use a smartphone? I think you get the point. :slightly_smiling_face:

Besides of that Iā€™m pretty sure Renoise will also work on Win7 even if thereā€™s no more Win7 support.

3 Likes

Nice relativismā€¦The Victims always think that they are no victims ā€¦and they know how the things work. :slight_smile:

ā€¦ā€œYou can disable most telemetryā€ blablablaā€¦ and Windows Update activate it again, next Patchday! :smiley:

Not to Use Windows 10 is for me a decision from enlightened consumers that are still self thinking.
If Windows 10 is fine for you then congratulations from me. But dont explain me the world plz.

happy Tracking :slight_smile:

Thanks my dear enlightened self thinking consumer! :slightly_smiling_face:
Of course happy piano rolling after switching to FL Studio 21 to you, too. :wink:

For real important actions and data storage I personally use two other computers (with different operating systems btw) which are always offline (the only safe way), but what do I know? Iā€™m a victim, right?

Mhm. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

According to Wikipedia WIndows 7 was launched in 2009. Now we have 2021. This is quite a long time.

Did anybody try to run Renoise in ReactOS?

3 Likes

there is 2 control panels
the old and the new
some parameters are in both
some only in new
some only in old

A must have for windows users

No official response though, itā€™s a pity.

i can chime in to give my opinion here:

why should devs support windows 7? i mean, the system is deprecated and EOLā€¦ why on earth would someone support that?

Itā€™s your personal preference to keep using windows 7, not a global obligation.
iā€™d just install arch and keep making music insteadā€¦

just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Itā€™s not deprecated. I already wrote that:
ā€œEsu support till 14 jan 2023, pos systems till 14 oct 2024.ā€

About OS performance i already wrote too, just look in higher posts.

Do you know such saying: Oldy, but goldie?

Modern stuff is low quality & fast-paced. Just look at cars and electronics.

1 Like

iā€™m aware that older car is produced to last longer, not to be replaced by the next model coming in 2 monthsā€¦ But, my question is: how can you dictate how something should be developed? Is microsoft caring about what is better to the end user, or what is more profitable?

While i agree on ā€˜what is betterā€™ i do not agree that your personal viewpoint/opinion (and even a straight fact) can point someone to steer development from ā€˜more profitableā€™ to ā€˜satisfy usersā€™, since they are doing it for money after allā€¦

sorry, what is esu?

EDIT: i now realize that ESU stands for ā€œextended security updatesā€
Security updates are a must-have, a necessity. Not a ā€˜supportā€™ as you would like for a modern audio engineer/composerā€¦ Even if i had to use something deprecated to make music - i would not consider to keep that PC safe even at slightest, since itā€™s about my music, not about my (imaginary) SecOps jobā€¦
That ā€˜supportā€™ does not imply any future plugin/daw will support it, so why would renoise be the only one? I think Taktik struggles with time a lot (when it comes down to renoise) which is reasonableā€¦ he has to bring food to the table to his familyā€¦ he has hobbies as wellā€¦
Do you think it is really worth to support windows 7 in this edge case?

since you are referring that windows 7 is good, not everyone has the same expectation/standard of what is ā€˜goodā€™. I would never consider using a microsoft product ā€˜goodā€™ in the first place.

good in terms of better than windows 10 - now you gotta give aspects of that viewpointā€¦
active support? clearly itā€™s not better. (EOL according to their official page, edge cases are really marginalā€¦ or as they are called: ā€˜edgeā€™)
Performance? maybeā€¦
ad & bloat - definitely notā€¦ so it really depends on personal preference, and what matters the most to youā€¦

if you are self-thinking, you should re-consider being the part of ā€˜microsoftā€™ at allā€¦ or online purchasingā€¦ using or google/outlook productsā€¦ or like, being on the internet at allā€¦
i mean, if you want to start a serious debate like this, you would have to know a lot background stuffā€¦ dnsā€¦ network, but not only in generalā€¦ how stuff worksā€¦ - in order to determine that you are ā€˜self-thinkingā€™ and not just reading XYZ blog posts which claim XYZ according to ABCā€¦

Iā€™m not dictating anything. Just asking about s/w longevity.
After Win 7 will be dropped iā€™ll stick to the last working version and switch to Linux later on .
Win 10/11/12 is no go for me.

ps as for dropped support: itā€™s all about marketing not real technical capabilities. Blender is still working even latest alpha 3.0, despite the devs dropped support: WIndows 7 support for blender 2.93 Right-Click Select ā€” Blender.Community

1 Like

in case youā€™ve missed it, apart from other pointsā€¦
also, blender is specific, since it is free/open source, whereas renoise is notā€¦ so fundamentally here we have comparison of apples and orangesā€¦ for blender, you can personally contribute to support whatever you want, by a bit of coding & pull request or forking itā€¦

As far as i know it is in early alpha stage, so it canā€™t be used in serious production.

The support of windows 7 will surely depend of the SDKs and libraries used to code Renoise

ā€œPiano rollā€ā€¦ for me, sound, like ā€œ5ck youā€.
I also use w7/32 on laptop. For doing simple tasks, it is enough . And together with last 32bit version of Renoise, it is work with no problem.

Yeah, it works. But not every VST would work on Win7 32bit, so youā€™re forced to move on if you want to continue and add new stuff. Or you can remain with old VSTs and an old DAW version forever, which also would work, but there would be limits. So I decided to move on and switched to a current 64bit system, otherwise my RAM wouldnā€™t be enough for proper creations and I wouid have to forego many VSTs I like.

Something like that. :grin:
If I had to decide between creating music with a piano roll program or quitting creating music, I would definitely quit.

If Renoise Stops working on windows vista I wonā€™t buy it again ! It will break my workflow !! itā€™s SCANDALOUS !!!

Ok joke aside, is this the boomer thread or what ? Windows 10 exists since 2015. Why the hell should renoise devs spend dev time is supporting an outdated os ? If you want to keep using your EOL OS feel free, but donā€™t start whining on forums that your software does not work on it anymore.

1 Like