Windows 7 x64 support for future releases

So you’re running Renoise on a Point-of-Sale machine? (a checkout)
Get real.

1 Like

You talking shit my friend. Win7 has a longer patch standing time as Win10. At least 2 Versions of Win10 are marked as depreacated by Microsoft, and they force Users to Upgrade! And after every Update was problems too. check here → Windows | endoflife.date

Then you will see, Win 10 is the same like Win7, only that Win10 is much more force to migration.

I actually just tried W7 and the performance was almost the same but there were none drivers available. I used to hate W10 but 20H2 is quite good right now, it is getting pretty cohesive compared to the 2015-2018 buggy mess, these scripts might help you: GitHub - W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10: A Collection of Scripts Which Disable / Remove Windows 10 Features and Apps

Win 10 can’t be completely debloated from telemetry tracking.
Plus new updates constantly restore spying things up and you need update debloating applications to match the reality.I better spent my time on smth more useful.

So that is why i’m so interested in staying on Win7.

Not a chance, even Microsoft is planning to stop the support for win10 by 2025.

Yeah, coz it’s a cr#p

Upgraded to x570 with top cpu and 980 pro nvme. Everything works neat.

A tool is what it no longer is.

If you buy a hammer you expect it to work as long as you don’t burn your toolshed. You don’t expect it to change shape while you are using it, you don’t expect it not to stop working once the manufacturer decides to give up on the design or once they go bust. Change being in your hands instead of the manufacturers is a feature, not a bug.

If one would be cynical about it, one could say that companies see this a bit li... | Hacker News

What “tool” would behave like that? It’s more another stepping stone towards this:

As for the topic, I would not expect Renoise to support Win7 (e.g. deal with bugs that just occur there – especially in combination with plugins that after all don’t care about Renoise supporting Win7 or not). Just don’t detect the windows version and refuse running when it would run fine without that check. Let the user decide if they want to take that risk.

1 Like

The way I see it, if you want to use Renoise on Windows 7, you can use the last version that was released for it before development shifted to newer Windows versions. Renoise is extremely capable in its current state, and could be used without further updates for years to come.

Whether or not the devs should worry about continuing to support Windows 7 is up to them, and should be determined based on profitability, or whatever factors are important to them. Renoise does not appear to be a booming business as it is. I’m thankful that they continue to develop Renoise at all, and would love if they would create more ways for people like me to support the development, instead of spreading themselves thin worrying about supporting things that may or may not be profitable. I plan to upgrade my license at Renoise v4.0, and want to pay them well for it. Redux as well. Looking into buying Sononym someday too. If most of their user base uses Windows 7, they will probably continue to release updates compatible with Windows 7 to meet the demand of their user base and generate some sales. If more users are using newer Windows versions, it probably would benefit them to focus on those versions instead. If the devs themselves are Windows 7 enthusiasts, maybe they might continue supporting it just because they like to.

If the devs dropped future support for Windows 7, but created a Kickstarter/fundraiser to support continued Windows 7 releases, would you be prepared/willing to fork over your money for it @spacedrone808? How much money is it worth? How much time/money would it cost the devs to worry about continued support for this platform?

P.S. Windows 7 is my favorite OS, and I am not wanting to leave it anytime soon. But my love/respect for the Renoise devs means I want them to do whatever is best for them.

I fully get your point.

As for me, i’m ready to pay full price again and maybe even more.

1 Like