Windows 8 Preview

Seems a pretty interesting divergence from the icon/desktop model. A lot of touchscreen oriented stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Would definitely want to try this one with a mouse before an upgrade first though.

saw it yesterday, definitely looking pretty cool.

Just seen from this quote that it will have a standard desktop aswell, which I guess would have been pretty stupid for them to have left out :). What also sounds good is that it shouldnt` be more resource hungry than 7.

Looks like a copy of IOS. Probably the way it has to go though as Microsoft has been so far behind in the tablet market. A uniform OS that runs on all devices would make software development much easier.

I don’t like oversimplificatedbraineating tiles.
I like things to be hidden behind a icon, which don’t attract my attention too much ( and don’t makes me forget what I wanted to do before I turn my computer on).

:) all to familiar; email, news, shiny internet …what was I meant to be doing?

They could have called it Windows tablet imho. I’m wondering what more they are going to stuff in it.
“apps” is for sure not the thing that lowers my socks.

i agree with üav on the overdone-accessibility-tiles thingy. i hated that too when i saw it. but my hopes are still that you can customize it. i was more enthusiastic about the whole resizing thing, where different ‘widgets’ of sorts can exist together, even combined with what looks like a normal Win7 desktop, you just smack a rss-widget next to it and it all works together. i really like how smooth it looks.

the customization hope might be useless though, as MS allows about as much (out-of-the-box) customizing as Apple does, generally.

I could bang on about operating systems (and their defragmentation) and user interfaces till the cows come home (put it this way my first computorial experience was with:

…BUT is it right to take a dog paragliding? I mean…really? REALLY?

Little maze of twisting passages
Little maze of twisty passages
Little twisty maze of passages
Maze of little twisting passages
Maze of little twisty passages
Maze of twisting little passages
Maze of twisty little passages
Twisting little maze of passages
Twisting maze of little passages
Twisty little maze of passages
Twisty maze of little passages

exactly that’s why I recently quit facebook, twitter, tumblr, rss, removed all icons on my desktop, and disabled automatic internet connexion. Too much time wasted for nothing.

IT SURE AS HELL IS NOT!

Mazy twist of passaged belittlement
you should consider posting this in the Poem.
(honestly, no idea what your intentions with this were, but i like it)

hm, it looks like Windows 7 but with a full screen app that displays your widgets in nice tiles and does a split-screen whenever you want to use your browser (what if you don’t use IE?). it’s definitely targeted towards tablet users but the thing is … i don’t know if they’ll market it this way and having to switch between tiles and your regular windows is not a great user experience imo, it should be either seamless or not existant.
but i have to admit … the tiles and the widgets look very nifty.

@rhowaldt

It’s from a game called ‘Advent’ or ‘Collosal Cave’ (I’m sure your google works ;))

It was a text adventure and the twisty maze stuff was from the notorious maze from that game. I was 5 & played it in something like '76 and I got hooked (I was just really starting to read and it certainly helped!). There’s a quite a few versions about; give it a go! It’s tough and you’ll need paper and a pencil to map!

Looks nothing like iOS what are you talking about?

I found these interesting pictures…

Next version of OSX - Lion:

Windows 8

Looks like they are both going in very different directions.

I curious of what animal name they will choose for the next iOS, because lion is the king of animals, they can’t find better…

Otter.

Honey Badger

quantum wildcat

what’s windows?

sorry if I killed the initial topic