Windows: Korg m1 VST3 GUI broken

I’m attempting to use the korg m1 vst, but the GUI is broken and I am unable to select anything.

Untitled

This happens on a new project, without changing any settings. For whatever reason, only a thin strip of the GUI is visible. When it is first opened, it appears in full for a moment, then quickly disappears/scales into a tiny strip. I have tried using the m1 vst with and without auto scale on hi dpi screens, although I am using a 1920x1080 monitor.

That’s odd, I use the M1 myself and haven’t had that problem. Are you using the latest versions of Renoise and the M1? Korg updated their older VST’s a while ago, including the M1, so install the latest version if you haven’t already.

Not sure if you’ve got the same problem as me but make sure you install the M1 synth to a unique folder (ie: don’t share it with a Root folder for other Korg plugins).

I had the same issue with Korg (and Image-Line plugins) - if I install them all to root folders, such as “Korg Plugins/” and “Image-Line Plugins/”, eventually some of the GUI’s will stop working.

To fix it, I just deleted everything and then re-installed each plugin to a completely separate folder as follows:

“D:/VSTplugins/Korg Legacy Cell/”
“D:/VSTplugins/Korg M1/”
“D:/VSTplugins/Korg Polysix/”
“D:/VSTplugins/IL_Sytrus/”
“D:/VSTplugins/IL_ToxicBiohazard/”
etc…

This is because the developers have used some of the same filenames for different GUI’s - even though it shouldn’t make any difference (the files are not actually overwriting each other), some DAWs still seem to get confused by this.

2 Likes

same.

Renoise + KORG VST 2 = OK.
Renoise + KORG VST 3 = error.
Reaper + KORG VST 3 = OK.
FL Studio + KORG VST 3 = OK.

Windows 10 Home 64bit ver 21H2
Renoise 64bit ver3.4.2
KORG MS-20 VST3 ver2.3.1
001a

1 Like

Did anyone ever find a fix for this issue?

It is something about Korg VST3 that does this odd things, VST2 - versions are scaling just fine.

I just stopped using the vst3 versions, vst2 works fine, I don’t know if it’s a korg or renoise problem

The GUI of most of my Arturia VST3 plugins are broken too, it works the first time you open them but the second time they often get messed up badly.

Here’s a new variant of broken GUI.

I’m repeatedly expiriencing problems with several VST3 versions of plugins in Renoise (only):

• The entire Korg Collection 4 has GUI problems, only showing small parts of the GUIs after opening the instruments in Renoise or even showing just the borders of the plugin window, with no space for a GUI.

• Arturia GUIs are messed up, for what reason ever. Specially, after switching to the “Advanced” area of these plugins. This goes for the Arturia V Collection 9, as also for the Arturia FX Collection 3.

• NI Massive X keeps closing and sometimes even crashing/closing entire Renoise without a warning.

• SonicProjects OP-X Pro-II cuts of parts off GUI-elements and/or displaces them.

• AAS plugins (like Ultra Analog) have a messed up GUI, too, when clicking on some fields within the synth-GUI.

Sometimes GUIs are displayed correctly, but most of the time, they aren’t. Sadly can’t reliably reproduce the behaviors.

Beside Renoise I use FL Studio, Mixbus 9 and Reaper - without VST3 problems, as far as I can tell.

I have similar experience … after installing VST3 of Softube Tape and their Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor Renoise started crashing a lot with following error in logfile: “Caught an unhandled fatal exception (Thread: GUI)!”… after using VST2 no trouble/crashes yet.

Something is just not working properly with VST3 and its GUI.

1 Like

Yeah its a big problem for me as well,tons of VST3 plugins just dont work properly in Renoise.

Same problem for me with Korg M1 V2.4.1. Anybody has found a solution or workaround for the vst3 screensize bug?

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Are you running the latest version from a few months ago, it fixed pretty much all my VST3 GUI issues!?

Have you a direct link to the update plz? The Korg website is not very good to navigate. :expressionless:

Oh sorry, I meant the latest Renoise version, it has a fix for VST3 GUI issues

Same issue with Renoise 3.4.3

I reinstalled both VST2 and 3 versions of the plugins using your method, and the VST3 version is still broken.

It mostly work for me, you need to check (or uncheck?) one of the scaling options in the VST drop down menu. The MS20 VST is a little broken though, the patch cables will randomly disappear. I contacted the support, but I think they just don’t care about renoise.

I have the same issue with Korg M1 (V2 VST3 version), only half the UI is displayed.
I also have the issue with the Arturia plugins, I feel like it’s caused by my multi monitor setup.

For arturia, a combination of disabling GUI scaling (which I have to do for every $%“&/”$ plugin I use, I with there was a global disable) and reopening the window/reloading the plugin will fix it.

For the Korg VST nothing seems to fix it…

I just updated to 3.4.3 to be sure and… still the same issue. As other mentioned, this seems to opnly happen in renoise

edit: just found out that enabling “launch plugins in sandbox” or something like that actually impacts the way korg M1 is displayed… unfortunately it just makes it even more unusable but maybe this can clue someone in as to what is causing this problem

I have this issue with both the korg M1 as well as the Korg Wavestation. Strangely, the wavestate native works fine.