Wishes for next releases

I know, I know, it is a bit early :laughing: Please don’t get me wrong, very happy with 3.4, a real improvement for macos users. Thanks for that!

Lately though there came up some new ideas for improving Renoise:

• Sidechain having a color slider, just like in the convolver. This color slider of the convolver is very useful and the filters are just designed right IMO. So then you could attenuate your sidechain trigger signal. Middle should be 100% neutral, identical.
  • A sidechain receiver device, as replacement for the MRatio workaround
  • Note-off velocity support
  • Dry/wet for all compressors
  • CLAP support, not neccessarily for polyphonic modulation (since Renoise does not support that), but even just for performance improvement reasons (it was said that by switching from VST3 to CLAP, you can use the doubled number of Diva instances).
  • Play/stop for Ableton link
  • macos: Support for appnap?, saving gpu load (read here)
  • Instrument effect lanes: Output to the track where the note appears :stuck_out_tongue: (“dynamical selection”)
  • Remember last screen position of the main window on macos (plus checks if monitor still exists on startup), so Renoise reopens on the last screen it was closed, for multimonitor setups.

And the usual suspects:

• Parallel container dsp device, also capable of mid/side, left/right splitting, including a sidechain-in
  • Parallel VSTi instruments within the instrument section, so a system for passing note data thru the chains? Maybe there is an easier way, circumventing dsp lanes for midi…
  • Routing a single track to multiple VSTis (might be solved with above point)
  • 16 macros instead only 8
  • dsp-really-disabled-mode (no pdc), maybe a different color of the checkbox, inverted or whatever
  • Sidechain input for doofer
  • Making quantize more nice in the advanced panel or some extra stuff here. Nice would be some kind of live preview
  • Muting of sample slots
  • Muting of instrument effect lanes
  • Double clicking a sample slot play the sample alone
  • Metronome volume slider next to Oct switch

LUA:

• Better drawing API for primitives
  • Better mouse support, click on coordinate, on-click events with get-clicked-gui-element, dragging, etc. Maybe even dragging into GUI?
  • Check for undo operations and/or vst_parameter.is_bubbling true/false or similar (topic here)
  • Find_next_instrument_in_track() without changing the current track, moving the song position etc. Must be faast.
  • Support for luarocks or similar. E.g. using sqlite.
  • Real support for external dev tools, a.k.a. auto reloading on external save within the tool dir (e.g. using system’s directory watchers?). Maybe optional as a setting. Or even auto launching VSCode within the lua dir.

NO BRAINERS:

• Shortcut and context menu entry for pattern “mix-paste”, so you do not have to mouse-check it in adv. options
  • Shortcut for song options

Please continue with your well thought ideas…

9 Likes

The feature that I keep coming back to, especially now with Pi + Link support and the emphasis there on live collaboration using minimal setups, is native gamepad support. I’m sure that making this work on three different platforms would be a hassle, but they are portable controllers that people likely already own and are highly proficient with. They feature:

• 2 XY pads with built-in switches
  • 2 Analogue triggers
  • Dpad is 4 buttons with easy two-way combos
  • 8+ other buttons
  • Can be used wirelessly
  • Certain models also feature 4 back paddles
4 Likes
  • Better Fontrendering and a Fontdialog for instant change of Patternfont and Controlfont
  • Real Audiochannel integration with ability for cut, move, copy, shrink/strech audiotrack information
  • Native Pianoroll Integration or better Control & Drawing APis for Tools that needs/wants Hardware accelerated Canvas painting, Tab and Window Control Support
  • Better Themingsupport → No linked Colorvalues between different controls, no use of internal Autocontrast “feature”, seperated Colorvalues for every Controltype

Well, all y’all know what I’m looking for…

extended modulation controls for the effects, tools. Faster LFO, PM/FM and granularrr rrr rr r -r --r —r ----r -----r …

Also, @NPC1 has a neat idea, which would be an insane amount of work, only once for @taktik, but endless fun for the theme-designer. I have my color scheme(s) that I use, and having individually-colored buttons/sliders/knobs, etc. That might be kinda fun. I visualize a lot of candy-colored controls all over.

A transient shaper would be cool for drum breaks to avoid using a vst for this. And of course a better EQ

Microtuning

8 Likes

@ToybOx
threadjack, but, I found a workaround for microtuning and custom scales that just uses native devices, although it’s probably not the most elegant solution. It is functional, though, if you’re using sample based instruments.
the gist of the simplest version of the technique goes like this:

•disable key>pitch in keyzones
•set up a stepper with step size zero in pitch modulation section, step length can be whatever you want it to be. The pitch class you set up here is your custom scale or microtuning. sometimes a tuning plug-in is useful here, depending on what you’re after
•assign a macro to the pitch stepper reset value
•make an instrument fx chain
•assign a keytracker to Macro 1 from within an instrument macro control doofer that you’ve made and saved from the track fx/mixer section
MACRO CONTROL 1.xrdp (28.9 KB)
•tweak your keytracker range and min max values til you get a playable sequence of pitches
•profit???

here’s a simple example patch that has 23 equal divisions to the octave:
23 EDO.xrni (4.6 KB)

Now, it’s not perfect in that sometimes pitches are repeated (or skipped) across the keyboard depending on how the keytracker meshes with the stepper, but, it’s serviceable if you really want native microtuning. There is a lot of fine control with the stepper, too, depending on how you want to set up your pitch class values. I’ve used this method to make playable overtone series instruments and just intonation patches, in addition to more exotic microtonal stuff. you can also set up keyzones for multiple octaves using duplicate samples if you want

FWIW!

3 Likes

Thats a clever workaround but i can use microtuning using this plugin:

However i would prefer native microtuning, as loading multiple instances of this plugin causes renoise to crash.My workaround is to sample (obvious) but it then it becomes a gigantic workload having to multisample evrything across multiple registers and its not straightforward as the tonic is no longer on the octave and so on and so forth.Its extremely time consuming and frustrating.Native microtuning in renoise is the holy grail for me.I see it is has been implemented in other trackers for decades.Still hasnt hit renoise yet.But every update i still have hope.

The oddsound plugin is excellent but is more suited to using live vsti’s rather than anything sample based.
I just want straight forward microtuning and quick workflow.

4 Likes

understandable!

this method works for me if I need it, so, just thought to share in case it’s of some use to anyone

hope to see native microtuning in a future update, myself

1 Like

I’m sure someone will find it useful, there’s a ton of renoisers interested in microtuning here. There has been discussions about it going back years.

5 Likes

@ToybOx I’ll assume you’ve used scl to xrni | Renoise

I liked it because if you’re willing, you can make your own tunings from scratch by just editing a text document. If you don’t want to, you can choose from 4,000 tunings and find even more online. So, pre-made scales galore, or if you’re willing, bake some on your own! It’s not the easiest Tool to use, but it’s not the hardest, either.

1 Like

I have used it,unfortunately its a pain in the arse, specifically because it doesn’t work with multi-sample instruments.

1 Like

Ah, bummer. Well, I wish it did. Thanks for letting us know! It’s valuable info, for sure.

1 Like

Also, PDC offset the sidechain, currently only possible with workaround:

grafik grafik grafik

1 Like

I hope for future releases mac support is dropped :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Renoise as VST instrument. Makes it possible to integrate Renoise in any DAW. It is more future proof since the development of Rewire has been discontinued.

FL studio have this!

4 Likes

I could really, really use the ability to add slices on customizable divisions (in my case every 2 bars) right now. Adding the fill functions found on the polyend tracker would also do me wonders in my workflow and open up a lot of fun randomization for tracks.

You can sort of do it now if i undestand, not full automatic but fast enough. In corner of wave editor you enable snap to “beats” and just click in proximity where it would be. If you are not slicing minutes of samples and have right tempo its few seconds of clicking

2 Likes

Use Redux!

4 Likes

Yes, I know Redux is available as VST. I dont mean to be selfish, since I only own Renoise :slight_smile: I have just started with Renoise, but I might look at Redux in the future.