X64 Windows & Renoise - New Renoise Feature Priorities

some clarifications:
Please read. You won’t get any benefit in audio quality by using a 64bit OS.

Of course, with a 64bit DAW you will be able to adress more RAM than on a 32 bit OS if you use 64bit plugins, but you will also be able to use up to 3GB of RAM (instead of 2GB) if you use a 32bit DAW on a 64bit OS. If 3GB are not enough for you, then you have all the reasons to switch, otherwise think twice about it.

Some random guys on a Cubase forum are talking about the question(!) if there is any difference between 32 & 64bit and this makes it the prove, there IS no difference? :D Come on… :lol:

You could try yourself and you would find out there is a difference. Kill the headroom of a signal @32bit with some processing like distortion (in best case using an IR device) and then try the same on 64bit with the same devices and parameter values. Afterwards compare the signals. ;) There will be a difference without any doubt. Maybe you indeed won’t be able to hear the difference, because it’s a difference in dynamics only, but comparing the files will 200% prove a difference.

And now I’m off from the signal-discussion, because it’s becoming hilarious nonsense.

I guess for the internal processing there might indeed be 64bit floating points, which makes sense for a lot of Renoise’s own stuff. But not for the VSTs. Even when a VST internally works with 64bit floating points, too (like Nexus can do for example and which of course depends on their very individual code), as soon as the VST passes the processed signal to the stream, it’s all truncated to 32bit again.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

There is no difference in audio processing on 64 or 32 bit hosts. Not for the internal FX and not for VSTs. All hosts use floating point math for audio, which is available in single and double resolutions on 32 AND 64 bit systems.
Its only about being able to address more memory - nothing more, nothing less. This of course is also important, but this does not result into better fidelity.

But it’s not about argues here anymore, and every new reply makes things worse, so I’m closing this thread now.

I think we all understood now that the last releases feature set was not your cup of tea - not what you wished would be addressed next. We all also know now which other features are most important to you right now. Thanks for the feedback, but if everyone needs to create such topics in order to get heard, we don’t even get to the point of real discussions anymore.

I don’t want to shut off discussion about this topic, but let’s all calm down and do so in new thread(s) please.