•••xenoba••• entities - remix competition

For sure. I was talking about what you can see in the pattern editor and the pattern matrix. And there’s not much you can see, very simple stuff. And there are only basic track effects as well. But that’s just scratching the surface. As I said, all the magic is happening in the sampler. It seems you almost don’t need a pattern editor anymore, all the changes and variations are controlled elsewhere. I’m used to do this via automation, but it’s a little different in your case. And you’re constantly using devices and stuff I never use. You’re best in what I’m worst. So it’s nice to have my hands on it, the result will be a combination of your sound design and my beats and instrumentation. I’m looking forward to see if you like it or not, and I know you’ll be honest. :slightly_smiling_face:

We could do that one day. Or we could also create something new. My beats and your sounds, man… :wink:

Ok, so it’s “Xenoba” with a big X and not “xenoba”. I can also name it “xenoba - Entities (TNT remix)”. It’s up to you cause it’s your name.

1 Like

Is there a deadline for the finished track?

yes, hidden in here somewhere Mr. Zensphere mentioned July 15th.

1 Like

Cool stuff! I agree with Mr.Zensphere that mix feels a bit unbalanced.

I should really crack on with my rmx.

2 Likes

yes. I do use some automation, but most of the movement in my sounds is offloaded into modulation. on the pattern editor level of the piece, there isn’t much happening usually, just triggers

sounds fun :smiley: maybe some psychedelic melodic dark electro trance lol :alien: let’s take collab discussions to pm

either Xenoba - Entities or xenoba - entities, you pick for your release. If I end up using it on my release I’ll stylize it consistently with the other tracks. Speaking of other tracks, I have a few producer friends using other daws who are all gonna take a crack at this too, so it should be interesting seeing how this all comes together. I’m psyched that there are people here who are contributing!!!

and yeah, no rush. If it helps to have that deadline, use it, but I know I’ll be waiting a couple months for some of the outside tracks, so, no big

psyched to hear what you come up with! I’m sure it will be an individualistic take on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I was wondering WHAT exactly is getting triggered by the trigger tracks. I’ve seen another xrni in the past that had these trigger notes, too. I can only imagine something like it triggers a signal follower that ducks a bass or something like that. But I didn’t take a closer look. Maybe you can explain it in one sentence.

Ok, but I need some more time for another project. I’m still busy at the moment. I just almost finished your remix because I’ve had a kind of flow. Therefore I interrupted finishing my new song that I’ll probably finish and release next week.

Well, the first letter of ANY word always has to be a big one, especially in terms of the title. So I will name it “Xenoba - Entities (TNT remix)”.

Ok, hold on, one second… If you’re waiting A COUPLE OF MONTHS for some other remixes by someone else, it can only mean that you hired some kind of professionals who create your remixes within MONTHS in a studio and will deliver a highly polished perfect master. Right? And this means no one should deliver funny crap. So probably it will take a little longer than a week when I’ll post my remix… Maybe a couple of months, who knows? :wink:

Edit:
I almost forgot that I still have to find your delay options for some sound effects. I’ve changed the BPM and some echoes of the sound aren’t in sync. I couldn’t find a common delay device, neither in the track effects nor in the sample effects. There are some “uncommon” delay devices in the sample effects, but there’s a percent value instead of a position value. Are these echoes supposed to be in sync or not?

many note events are triggering phrases instead of notes directly, and I generally tie a lot of modulation to note-on events in my sound design with key trackers, so the one note that you see in the pattern editor is triggering a whole bunch of events, typically.

All good. no rush here. I’m also gearing up for a festival show in September and trying to write a bunch of new music beforehand

I didn’t hire anybody, lol. Just have some producer friends, some of whom are busier than others

You’d have to give me the specifics of which instruments this is affecting. I use lots of delays, typically. Some (most) synced, some not

I just have deactivated the trigger to see what happens, but I couldn’t hear any difference. Anyway, it seems that I slightly changed the sound of some of your sound effects and I don’t know why. Maybe something happened while ungrouping tracks or whatever. Anyway, the difference is mostly minimal and probably cannot be heard in the mix. The overall feeling is there, but sometimes it sounds simply different. You’ll hear it sooner or later.

The one that’s most obviously not in sync is called “HEPTA” in your xrns, it’s the sample number 23.

1 Like

sounds entirely plausible/possible :slight_smile:

ok, I’ll check it out and get back to you. what bpm is the new project?

135 BPM. In your original song HEPTA is out of sync, too. So I guess it’s supposed to be like that. But I could “fix it” myself by changing some values in the multitap delay within the first sample FX chain. Thanks!

Yes! But I’m pretty sure it’s mostly because of the difference in terms of BPM. The groups didn’t contain anything else than “mixing devices” as far as I remember. And your effects are not based on track devices, so I’ve possibly mistakenly “changed” something while shrinking the tracks or some automation data has been overwritten while copying tracks. I don’t know, I just can hear a difference, but I can’t find a reason, neither in the sampler nor in the pattern editor. I will take a look again, I have to change some effects anyway. Obviously there’s something I could learn from that project, right? I’m not very familiar with current native sample based effects and native sound design techniques and you know the reason. I never work that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

hmm, I’m showing hepta as having an 8 line sync, followed by a 6 and 12 line synced ping pong delay on the original. not sure what happened there, but that’s how it’s supposed to be and it should follow any tempo changes

It follows any tempo changes. The values of L and R offset (first delay in the chain) obviously caused the issue. With a value of 0% everything’s fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh. Yeah, that’s just there for some stereo spread and phase fuckery. I often offset delays for more width

Wabi Sabi :slight_smile:

creating something breaky with it atm, cool effects in the stems for sure!

2 Likes

Dope, bro. Definitely interested to hear what you create :zap:

1 Like

Ignore this post, I need to vent my frustration.

Got a good vibe going but I’m running into technical issues with this remix that I don’t really understand.

I’m hitting my Ryzen 9 5900X 12 core CPU hard on Win10, which is usually fine. I’ve got 64gb of RAM so that’s not an issue either. But now I keep getting drop outs of specific instruments. All of them are sample based instruments, no VST-instruments. Do have a bunch of heavy VST effects going on. I suspect they could be part of the problem. But they’re also an integral part of the sound I’m going for. :sweat_smile:

If I set my Scarlett 18i8’s buffer size to 64 samples (1.3 ms) samples the entities’ Kick & Bass sound plays fine. But then the “Rotary Fun sound Stereo” doesn’t trigger properly. If I shorten the buffer size that Rotary sound works well but the bass doesn’t play anymore. Very frustrating. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

So I tried deleting all the tracks & instruments that I’m not using, which some how keeps the bass from playing on any buffer setting. :weary:

The worst part is that when it doesn’t play on a given buffer setting it doesn’t show up in the render either. :sob:

Haven’t run into this kind of issue in many years, possibly a decade. So it bothers me greatly.

Note, I’m not really asking for tech support in this thread, but if you have any ideas I am all ears. :ear: :ear:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, let normal service resume.

Mr. Xenoba, I’ve reeducated one of your sons and now he’s sounding SLIGHTLY different:

My songs obviously are getting more silent with every song that I finish, but I’m not forcing it. It’s -13.1 LUFS this time. Probably because I’m using another maximizer for a while. Anyway, as you can hear I’ve made some slight changes. All the effects are in the original order in its original form, but as you can hear I’ve dropped some effects. I’ve dropped the ones that didn’t fit or that I didn’t like (mostly the bell kind of sounds), but I’ve kept it as original as possible. And yeah, as I wrote before I didn’t use stems, instead I’ve worked with the xrns.

7 Likes

Oh, are we supposed to post the remixes here? I thought one just DMs them directly…

It’s good to post them here :+1:
that way everyone can hear them

Nice work! I dig the tune and new electro vibez, but I feel like you’ve missed an opportunity in the mixing. Almost all of the original sound elements are too far back in the mix imo, making this feel more like an original than a remix. This one feels promising to make the cut, but I’d prefer a more balanced approach to levels across the various elements. Sounds good, though! :+1:

1 Like

5 Likes