•••xenoba••• entities - remix competition

Ok, we could also call it “Rework” instead of “Remix”. I see what you’re after. :slightly_smiling_face:
But all the sound effects do have more or less the same volume, they’re as loud as like the ones at the beginning, and personally I don’t think they’re too soft. I think the “problem” is that the original is focussing on sound effects only, but this and most likely also other remixes will have some more elements than that. In the original there’s a basic beat, a bass and sound effects. This remix has got a beat with a lot of background percussions, several basses, synths, pads and sound effects. All these elements have to share the space, and the more elements the less dominant is each element. That’s because some sound effects seem to be softer if all the other stuff (especially the pads) is playing at the same time, too. I assume you know what I mean. Anyway, glad you like it even if it obviously fails to meet your expectations. You would like to hear your sound effects dominating all the rest, and I can understand that. Personally I think the sound effects complement all the rest and vice versa. Anyway, it was a pleasure working with your song. Looking forward to hear some more remixes.and I’m excited to see which you’ll prefer. Now those who haven’t delivered yet can adapt their compositions to your liking, so there’s a good chance something that meets your expectations is about to come. :wink:

2 Likes

psytrance is klangfarbenmelodie. timbre based composition

exactly. I just feel that the balance is off and buries all those interesting sonic elements, but it’s your track/interpretation

I do! And no expectations lol :upside_down_face:

this is neither what I said, nor what I’d prefer. I just feel that the track could be “better” with a more balanced mix of the various elements

Cool. that’s mostly the point of this :slight_smile: Glad you took up the challenge!

Of course, man! You cannot refuse if the always helpful master of native Renoise sound design asks for remixing one of his songs, can you? I’ve done a few collabs and remixes now and I can say it’s always inspiring to create something new if you’re not the only one working on the same song. And I think your sounds match Electro beats quite well! :+1:

Klangfarbenmelodie is a German word. You know German? Sollen wir auf Deutsch weitermachen? :wink:
Anyway, you’re right for sure. I’m really not into Psy-Trance, but I’m into Electro. And I’ve turned your Psy-Trance song into an Electro song. As I said, there are some SLIGHT differences… :joy:

Yes, these weren’t literally your words. But if I would turn up the volume of the sound effects they would indeed dominate all the rest. I checked through studio headphones, through hifi speakers, through laptop speakers, through car radio and through pc speakers and I honestly really think the balance is quite good. I can hear the effects all the time (as well as all the rest), even if all the instruments are playing in parallel. Of course maybe not always every single detail of it, but that’s what I consider to be normal and it’s the very same in terms of all the other instruments. But yes, you’re the master and creator of these sound effects and you know best what you would like to hear and what you expect from a remix. And if the master says too many details of the sound effects are missing in the mix, then I take it like that. As I said, let’s just call it “Rework” then. It is what is is now. :upside_down_face:

“Ive reeducated one of your sons” lmao, what a way to phrase it.

1 Like

Hi @slujr wanted to participate.

Didn’t change much, I liked the song as it is, reminds of Classic Mushroom or Oldschool Goa.
Added in 1 track, which uses 1 already included sample, did a few minor device tweaks, minor mixing.

The .XRNS is here:

Thanks for being good to community here, this was fun : D

2 Likes

I’m gonna need a little more time to finish my take on your track. Hopefully within the next couple of days.

2 Likes

Absolutely no rush. In fact, let’s stretch the deadline to August 15th :slight_smile:
Still waiting on a number of remixes from friends.

@jek I like your version! Can we have a streaming link posted again?

3 Likes

2 Likes

ooh, nice bubble bobble art :+1:

1 Like

If @TNT re-educated one of your sons, I’ve abducted him to another planet and let him and his descendants evolve into a different species. Only a careful genetic examination would reveal a common ancestor.

4 Likes

love it!

anyone else have one in the works, or should we call it closed?

1 Like

I have my track at 80% but have been on a vacation and slacking :slight_smile: , can’t say when I have it done, so don’t wait on me.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting on some non renoise people, so, all good. Hope it comes together! Would love to hear what you come up with for sure

2 Likes

Sorry, I wasn’t able to make it, though the parts inspired me a lot at the time
I may give it a try one day and send it to you privately, but consider it done on my side since I don’t know when I will ever find time if I do…

BTW @TNT I loved your remix, really liked the fact that you changed the track style, and as usual with you it’s perfectly done, great job

1 Like

I missed this remix contest, unfortunately. But all tracks here are very good, the original and the remixes.

I’m sure there is still more than enough time to create another remix, guys. A deadline for Renoisers doesn’t make sense if Xenobaba has to wait for MONTHS for his friends remixing his track. I bet there are still at least a couple of weeks left, so go for it. It’s more than enough. And the more remixes, the better for Xenoba.

Xenobaba (= alien father) and his alien mutant kids, you know… :wink:

I see. Your remix is good imho, as well as the mix. Most people would probably call it repetitive, and that’s right - but wrong at the same time. Yes, it’s kinda repetitive, but you managed to create a subte build up of energy that’s happening continuously in the background primarily through pads and a more and more open cutoff. I guess the main pad in the background is the connection to Xenobaba’s original song. But there is no obvious connection to the original. If you would have posted this song in another thread, I would have never thought of a remix of Xenobaba’s Entities because of the missing sound effects.

Thanks, glad you like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Jek
I like how you turned Xenoba’s tune into a harder one because of the KICK! Of course I would have preferred some more differences in comparison to the original.

3 Likes

Thanks @tnt ! You’ve got it. I wanted to go for a minimal vibe. The one that works well in a dark hall. Subtle changes that slowly take you somewhere.

As for “the genetic legacy” of Entities. Most of the sounds I’ve used to make my track are sourced from Xenoba’s track. Sometimes they got turned into single cycle wave files. Others I manipulated till they sounded like what I needed.

I wanted to step away from the original and do my own thing with it. But I feel this approach does tie it to the source.

2 Likes

@eretsua
I like the fact that you’ve made your own song even though I’ve already been told the following:

So I’ve made a kind of “rework” and you’ve made an own original song right away. :slightly_smiling_face:
Let’s see what “remixes” Mr. Xenoba will prefer and like the most. I’m curious about what kind of remixes Xenoba’s alien mutant friends will create, and of course I assume that some more Renoisers will deliver something.

1 Like

To me, the idea of a remix is to take the sounds and make your own song out of it. Which you’ve certainly done, but because so much of the sounds and structure of the original were contained intact within your reworking (or re-education :wink: ), it seemed to me that they should be more forward in the mix. I would say that @Jek’s track also falls under the “rework” category.
To be honest, I’ve really enjoyed all of the tracks submitted so far! I listened to them all in succession a week or so back, and it was definitely a good time :slight_smile:
Yes, picking the “winners” will be a challenge

So am I! So far, no one has delivered, but I have some assurance that at least one will be forthcoming lol

That’s not a remix in my opinion. To me a remix is using clearly recognizable original parts of the original song (that’s most important) combined with new additions and a new take on the whole song. As far as I know that’s also the official definition of a “remix”. And that’s what I did. Anyway… :wink:

1 Like