• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynevyr

Gwynevyr

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:23

I don't have a Renoise license, so I can't check myself to see if this has been added as a feature, but I asked the question in the Renoise 3 Beta announcement thread in the General forum and it sounds like this still isn't possible, so I'm requesting it here.

Currently, the active row (that is, the row you're adding notes to) is fixed to the center of the pattern window and remains stationary, while the pattern itself scrolls when you use the scroll wheel or arrow keys to move up or down, and also when you manually click into a new row. This drives me absolutely batty because I'm used to clicking into a new row when I want to add or edit a note, and that means the whole pattern suddenly jumps so that the row I clicked is in the middle (I find this extremely disorienting when I'm involved in laying down new tracks or editing note data). I come from 15 years of using ModPlug/OpenMPT, and it allows you the option to either keep the active row centered (like Renoise functions currently) *or* to freely move the active row, leaving the pattern itself stationary until the active row reaches the bottom of the pattern window. I find this issue in Renoise so off-putting it's actually the only reason I haven't gone ahead and bought a license.

I know this isn't a highly-requested option, but it has been requested before (see this thread for one discussion of it). It seems like such a simple option to include, but I have no idea what kind of potential difficulties the coding might involve. For the devs reading this, is this an option that could reasonably be implemented, or would it require too much programming gymnastics to justify it?
  • The Otter Years, f+d+k, ghostwerk and 2 others like this

#2 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:02

To me it's a nice feature, but i'm used to it. Don't see why there couldn't be a switch for this though?
So you say here that you have refused to buy a licence for a couple of years because of this? :rolleyes:

Join the Mutant Breaks #10 competition: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/50588-mutant-breaks-10/

Deadline: Sunday, December 10th, 2017.   :badteethslayer: 

#3 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1504 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:49

This always gets the +1 from me.

The behavior I'm used to (milkytracker) is that the pattern only scrolls when the edit cursor is hitting the top or bottom of what is being displayed. Ideally I can then fit 64 rows on one screen and keep everything stationary all the time.
  • esp81 and rocknlouie like this

#4 f+d+k

f+d+k

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:고추장

Posted 19 February 2014 - 15:50

Yes please!

Apart from the constant disorientation from jumping around, this one here drives me nuts, too:
Posted Image
  • esp81 likes this

#5 Gwynevyr

Gwynevyr

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 16:43

So you say here that you have refused to buy a licence for a couple of years because of this? :rolleyes:/>/>/>

Not for quite that long (I only discovered Renoise about a year or so ago). Keep in mind, though, that music is a hobby for me, something I do in the not particularly copious amount of free time I have, so anything that slows me down and disorients me as much as this problem does results in me not getting anything accomplished in the time I have to work on music (and not inclined to put money toward software that makes the time I spend on music less productive and less enjoyable). It's obviously different for people who make music for a living or who have more free time to work with a given piece of software.

Apart from the constant disorientation from jumping around, this one here drives me nuts, too:
http://www.ld-host.d...c1076558bb6.jpg

That bothers me, too--so much unnecessary empty space contrived simply to keep the active row in the middle of the window. :-/
  • rocknlouie likes this

#6 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 19 February 2014 - 18:19

+1

an option for this in the GUI preferences pane certainly couldn't hurt
  • f+d+k and esp81 like this
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#7 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 19:31

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this feature, this is literally my #1 complaint about Renoise...the centered cursor is so damn annoying. I also almost didn't purchase a license for the exact same reason as OP.

Edited by esp81, 19 February 2014 - 19:34.

#8 MonsterRadioMan

MonsterRadioMan

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 21:59

This isn't something I ever really thought about, but now that it's been drawn to my attention I'd have to agree. Seems like a simple option like "Enable/Disable cursor focus" should be doable? Sometimes the cursor focus is kind of useful, other times it can be a bit annoying because I can't see the full pattern. Sometimes when I want to utilize a specific note, but can't remember what it is I have to keep scrolling back up to remember what the note is. Doesn't break Renoise for me, but could be better implemented. Would increase workflow for sure.

#9 settler

settler

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 22:39

+1 from me (again!). I must admit that after a year or more of using Renoise the scrolling nausea has subsided to some extent, but still an option I'd very much like to see!

#10 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 18:19

Could a dev please respond to this? I've seen this requested many times, but don't remember seeing any reply from the renoise team.

#11 Gwynevyr

Gwynevyr

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 18:38

Could a dev please respond to this? I've seen this requested many times, but don't remember seeing any reply from the renoise team.

dblue responded in the old thread I linked to in my original post, but it was only to acknowledge that he understood the problem, not that it was or was not something that was likely to ever be implemented, or whether it would be relatively simple to code, or an absolute nightmare.

I'd like to hear from a dev at least about how difficult this would be to do--it seems like a really small thing that ought to be easy, but the programming required might be disproportionately complicated.

#12 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 20:45

I'd like to hear from a dev at least about how difficult this would be to do--it seems like a really small thing that ought to be easy.

I suspect if it was easy, they would have done it and added a checkbox in the preferences to allow toggling between new and old behavior.

But i consider this button Posted Image a nice toggle button for that behavior....
Pattern follow mode off then also means no pattern scrolling and pattern follow mode on, means centered edit position.

In that regard, they don't need to change much GUI wise and perhaps with Pattern follow mode off, this is also a much easier option to implement.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#13 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6721 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 00:24

I don't mind to see this added, but don't wait for it. Better start getting accustomed to Renoises workflow, or else you're always going to find (psychological) roadblocks ;) .
  • dblue likes this

#14 tha_man

tha_man

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 19:08

Yes please!

Posted Image

Yes, I would love to see this option because of this too. Although I don't mind the scrolling pattern when recording, there are many times when the possibility of fixed view over the whole pattern would be great. Definitely +1!

#15 Gwynevyr

Gwynevyr

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 21:40

I don't mind to see this added, but don't wait for it. Better start getting accustomed to Renoises workflow, or else you're always going to find (psychological) roadblocks ;)/> .

I actually don't have any problems with any other part of Renoise's workflow--if this issue were addressed, I'd be off to the races.

#16 monodna

monodna

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:59

Just wanted to put down my +1 for this feature. Like the OP, this is the one thing that seriously impedes my overall workflow. I just can't wrap my head around it as it is now... I'm relatively new to renoise, but have used Impulse Tracker for several years back in the days, and nothing I've tried since, apart from renoise, comes close to the speed I worked with then, except for this one thing. If at all possible, please, please, please add this feature.

#17 Guest_68000_*

Guest_68000_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 21:29

I was just about to create exact same topic. I can easily fit 64 lines on the screen, and the fact that they scroll anyway is really annoying. Now this is gonna be crazy analogy, but imagine if current Renoise way of editing would be the one in spreadsheet editors like Excel... totally nuts, but entering notes requires concentration too, just as numbers, and the ability to always see entire pattern no matter what would certainly help with some more complex edits etc.

+gazilion from me.

Edited by Johnny!, 18 April 2014 - 21:32.

#18 AKM

AKM

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Piano, Audio technologies

Posted 24 July 2017 - 16:52

Ah, just discovered this amazing software for myself, but this is what made a confusion to me also. Please, +1 request from me also.

Andrei Kuznetsov

My videos: YouTube

My audio recordings: SoundCloud 

#19 M. Navas

M. Navas

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Music, Web Dev, Football

Posted 11 August 2017 - 22:32

+1 for this feature

#20 Neurogami

Neurogami

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, technology

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:02

In lieu of having this native I've wondered if a tool could manage it.  As a "maybe good enough" approach I was imagining a floating window with a read-only view of the current pattern state.  It would update as the pattern was edited.  Then you could edit on the centered line but still see the full pattern.    

Food for thought.

(edit: This idea was prompted by this: http://forum.renoise...ss-piano-roll/)

Edited by Neurogami, 12 August 2017 - 18:13.

#21 M. Navas

M. Navas

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Music, Web Dev, Football

Posted 12 August 2017 - 19:24

I prefer to see this feature as part of the main program in regards to the editing/tracking behaviour (e.g. as in Jeskola Buzz). At least it would be nice to have the option.

#22 crazya02

crazya02

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Game dev, Game playing, Music dev, Music playing

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:44

wait how does pattern follow toggle not accomplish this
sig.gif<p>Processor: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.70 GHz RAM: 16.0 GB OS: Windows 10

#23 AKM

AKM

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Piano, Audio technologies

Posted 14 August 2017 - 16:01

wait how does pattern follow toggle not accomplish this

When you are in the "record mode" and click a cell with a mouse to select it - it just jumps away to somewhere in the middle. It is very confusing. Also, as it was mentioned before, you just can't see the whole pattern while editing on the "edges" of it.

• crazya02 and Neurogami like this

Andrei Kuznetsov

My videos: YouTube

My audio recordings: SoundCloud